+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting rid of the dummy!!!

can anyone help me out....I have been putting off getting rid of my daughter's dummy...she only has it at sleep time, but I figure at just over two years old, it needs to go...I told her that the rubbishman took it and she is ok with that until she chucked an absolute 'spaz-attack' at bed time, and at 3 am when she stirred through the night.(she screamed for over half an hour)

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default mumof2girls

Hi sophie & will's mum

I would suggest that you persevre with the tantrums, they will last for a few days and when she realises that she isn't going to get it back then she will calm down. It will take a few days so be patient.

My neice was a lot like this and her mum couldn't get it off her so I bought her a new doll and told her that she could take that to bed instead of the dummy and she was apprehensive for a couple of days but was fine.

Hope this helps you

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are three days into it and Sophie has finally got it!!!! Whaaaahooooo!!!! You are right, took a couple of days of tantrums and then today she sort of just accepted it and I must admit, is sleeping a lot better at night too...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default mumof2girls

Glad things are going well in the dummy separtment, as I said a couple of days is well worth the effort (in the long run). I'm glad things went well and it only took a couple of days!

Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy oh bother

i have a 2 yr and 3 month son.... i have been trying to get rid of these dam dummys...he has about 5 so i hide some and more pop up.....haha
    he really chucks it hey, and just crys to the point where i think i will go insane!

but i spose its time to do it

i am a single mum but he sees his dad one night a week (sleepover) so it is a stable situation but he gets very distraught at leaving his dad so i do get kind of weak in the dummy area....
    i havent even started toilet training (tried a few times several months ago)

oh dear ~ lol

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    samecutie222

I haven;t had to get rid of a dummy yet (the time will come though ) what if you painted it with that stuff ... (I wish I knew what it was called!!!) - you get it from the chemist - it is to stop thumb sucking....

It would make the dummy less appealing?? that way it might seem to be more of HIS decision not to suck it???

sounds good in theory ...

xx
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try making a deal with him, like swapping the dummy for a toy or something he wants. Some people try giving it to Father Christmas but that has just been! Don't know if he is old enough for this to work effectively though.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD lost hers outside and we told her our dogs ate it.... We gave her another one and she lost it outside too, so we told her the same thing, and that there were no more left, and that they don't make dummies for big girls anmore, and she was fine with it...no tantrums, no nothing......I was lucky.

Lets hope it goes the same for DD2 when the time comes....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my DD that the Easter Bunny was going to take it (last year) and she really didn't want him to have it so she marched straight out and threw it in the bin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know a family who packaged the dummy up and pretended to mail it to a new baby that had been born in the extended family. Their son was happy to send it as a gift to the new baby who needed it more than them.

We seem to have just given up the dummy without really meaning to. I'd suggested to our 2 year old that it was dirty and to throw it in the bin but she wasn't having any of that. But in the last week or so I realised that I was giving it to her at bedtime even before she would ask for it. And she was happy to go without it all day unless she saw it and then it would go in her mouth. So on Friday I just put it out of sight and didn't offer it at bedtime. No fussing about it, though she gets a lot of help to go to sleep anyways (we cosleep currently). She didn't have it for naps or bedtime on Saturday or Sunday and hasn't asked for it. So I think we're done with it!

When the time is right it is so much easier to get rid of it!