+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Exclamation Latest Government Birth Trend Figures

The government have just published a Press Release on stats on 2005 births (the most recent to be fully analysed).

It makes interesting reading and is sure to start some controversial discussions in here. The full report can be viewed here.

In the meantime, here are some interesting quotes:

The rise in caesarean sections also continued in 2005, with 30.3% of women giving birth by caesarean section, compared with 19.5% in 1996.

Women giving birth in private hospitals reported higher rates of caesarean sections.

Of women who had previously had a caesarean section, the majority (83.2%) had another caesarean section.

The likelihood of interventions such as induction of labour, instrumental delivery or caesarean section increased with socioeconomic advantage.

Other findings include:
    • 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during pregnancy
    • 8.1% of all babies born in 2005 were preterm (less than 37 weeks gestation)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've seen a couple of TV reports on this today and in both of them it was stated that "up to 30% percent of women are choosing to give birth by caesarean section".

The ranting in my house could be heard in Melbourne probably

I knew the c/s rate is hovering around 30% but I did NOT know that it has almost doubled since 1996. That's only 10 years. Absolutely horrifying really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd like to have the "choosing" part clarified in that report.

I could chose to birth my baby by c/s for lots of reasons.

I could have chosen a c/s birth because of the evidence that my Ob presented me with. I could have chosen a c/s because of previous vb trauma. Or I could have chosen a c/s simply because it fit in with my golf schedule.

The report doesn't make that clear, but I personally doubt that it means that 30% of women are choosing a c/s to fit around their golf schedule, iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    personally, i'm more distressed by the fact that 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during their pregnancy, than the rate of c/s...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lottiesmum For This Useful Post:

Oilymomma (14-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I hate being a part of that 30.3%. It's such a disappointment that so many babies were born that way... and I hate that my caesarean is a part of that statistic. Quite embarrassing really...

(Hopefully can be a VBAC statistic in a few years though! At least that's the plus-side of it!).

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't quite understand why there was more intervention in high socioeconomic mothers....

Interesting.... maybe because more of them go Private.. and there seems to be more medical intervention in Private hospys....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was more horrified by this statement...

Of women who had previously had a caesarean section, the majority (83.2%) had another caesarean section.
    With statistics like that no wonder I have had to fight so goddamn hard for my right to VBAC which resulted in me telling the hospital to shove it up their bums I was birthing at home!!!

And people wonder why I get angry/annoyed at the c-section rate when told "but how does it affect you? Why do you care if others birth by c-section?" well people...THAT'S WHY because it DOES affect me!!!
    Last edited by Lillynix; 23-11-2007 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you DragonFly. Also affects our daughters too. I don't want my daughter growing up in a surgical world. I don't want her to learn that her body is fault and untrustworthy. It's bad enough women already think this and want to get cosmetic surgery and such...I don't need her growing up believing her body can't even birth a baby.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 23-11-2007 at 21:01. Reason: Adding the word "cosmetic" because it didn't make as much sense otherwise...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lottiesmum View Post
    personally, i'm more distressed by the fact that 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during their pregnancy, than the rate of c/s...
    I absolutely agree with you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I hear you DragonFly. Also affects our daughters too. I don't want my daughter growing up in a surgical world. I don't want her to learn that her body is fault and untrustworthy. It's bad enough women already think this and want to get surgery and such...I don't need her growing up believing her body can't even birth a baby.

so well said Stacy