+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Questions for experienced bott/f mums...

Am just weaning onto full time bottle / formula. Today will be the first day I won't do some breast as well.
    Am wondering about the specific amounts each feed for bub. I've done the calculation re daily amount (150mls / kg of body weight) and as bub is close to 5kgs it works out to 145mls X 5 feeds.
    However, my question - as she sleeps longer at night now and I imagine wakes up quite hungry - do I give her slightly bigger feeds before bed and on waking and then the rest spaced throughout the day?
    OR
    should I give her 5 lots of even amounts? Does it matter one way or another?

Also - what do I do if she wakes up hungry in the night and has already had her 5 feeds for the day? If I give her an extra bottle, will I end up overfeeding her?

I am a bit concerned not to over feed her - the research on obesity and bottlefed bubs suggests it's due to some people overfeeding with formula (which is why they have stricter recommendations these days then they used to - I think - when my mum fed us they didn't really tell them how much......)

What do others do? Once I start on full formula feeding - do you think she'll settle into the amounts okay? mM bub is a "50th percentile" bub - not big - so I think I have to be careful not to overfeed her. At the moment she just LOVES it everytime and I reckon she'd drink 200mls if I let her!! But maybe she has been hungry cause the breast were slowing down.........once she's completely on bottles it might sort itself out you think?

Also - do others give extra water to their bubs? I've had differing advice - some say it's a good idea to give a small bottle of water each day to prevent constipation - others say you don't need to??

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions.....
    Tannie
    Last edited by Tannie; 22-04-2005 at 08:23. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I think if shes hungry then let her eat. I put my daughter on formula at 5 months and I think she was having 5 bottles during the day and 1 at night. She was always having less than was recommended on the tin and she was pretty big for her age.
    Natalie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default She won't let you overfeed her...

Babies will only eat/drink as much as they want. If she is not hungry she won't eat so don't force her but if she drinks a whole bottle and still wants something else (water, solids, more formula) don't deny her that either.

My dd has always been petite (hate the description - small!) yet she would have up to 6 formula bottles on some days (plus 2 feeds of solids after 4 months) then other days she might have only 3 or 4 bottles. From memory I used to give her 120mls (could have been 180mls) per feed. If she drank it all - great, if she didn't - great!! Once she was getting more solids she didn't want as much formula so I always made sure she had water handy so she could drink that if she preferred. Actually I always gave her water, usually I would offer it after solids as it isn't as heavy as formula if she wanted a drink. Before she was on solids I would have a bottle of water handy in between bottles and offer it occasionally but not force her to have it.

If your bub wakes in the middle of the night and is hungry my suggestion would be to feed her - less stressful than making her (and you) wait until breakfast!! Remember, her stomach is only very small and she may not be able to sleep through yet.

Just one more thing - RELAX - your bub will let you know what she needs and it is only recently that we have started to listen to professionals rather than our own instincts and our own children. The obesity levels have risen recently - according to professionals!! Our mothers and grandmothers listened to us and their instincts and I think it is more a change of "normal" lifestyle (more fast foods, computers, less manual labour for both sexes) that has led to obesity rates rising not overfeeding of formula.
    Last edited by Baby Girl; 22-04-2005 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have to agree with Schmell, your bub will not drink if she's not hungry but may have times she'll demolish her regular bottle and be wanting more.

The recommended volumes are just recommendations. All bubs are different and most will have a mix of small and large feeds each day. My bub was having 5 x 240 ml long after the guidelines said 4x180 ml. It's very easy to get caught up in measuring volumes and be concerned if she doesn't "finish" a bottle or wants extra. But remember that if you were still breastfeeding you wouldn't have a clue how much she was drinking each time. And on that note, I've seen a lot of chubby (dare I say fat?) breastfed babies so I don't think you should be any more concerned about overfeeding on formula than you were on breast milk.

I'd suggest you stick with her current (breastfeeding) schedule of feeds and not worry whether it's 4, 5, 6 or more times per day. And use the same triggers to decide if she needs a bottle. If you currently go by a time schedule then keep using that. If you go by her behaviour and hungry signs then stick with that.

I usually made up an extra bottle of water & stuck it in the fridge so that if I needed to give her an extra I'd only have to add the formula and be ready to go. Also useful if you need to go out in the day. You can give her just water if she's constipated or it's very hot and she's been sweating alot, but most bubs don't need it until they're on solids more.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up All is going very well........thanks!

Thanks all - yes - now that she has settled into bottle feeding I am finding that she has come up with her own pattern of feeding and amounts.

Generally she'll have a big bottle - 200 - 210mls at breakfast or when she wakes in the morning (5am - 8am somewhere!) As she's usually slept for 8 - 12 hrs then that's fair enough I reckon
    Then she'll have smaller bottles over the day time every 3-5 hrs - 120 - 160 mls at a time..............then in the evening before bed, usually it's been 4 hrs since last feed and she'll have at least 160mls - 200 mls again. Sometimes if she has only had small feeds, but is tired and ready for bed & not 4 hrs since last feed - she'll just have a "top up" of up to 100 mls before bed.

Anyway- when I add up the amounts - it works out to 700 - 900 mls anyway - which is pretty much what a baby her size should be having.........SO you are all correct - her little body knows how much she needs and takes in whatever is necessary.

Funny peoples beliefs though - as soon as I mention bottle feeding to very pushy breastfeeding persons - they say "watch how much she has - don't want her getting too fat - bottle fed babies are overweight cause they get fed too much"!! Which is why I had this perception too I guess - it's seen as a forgone conclusion that because she is bottle fed, she'll be overweight However, to be honest - the fattest little bubba I've ever seen was a friends bub and was exclusively breastfed!!

Am having no problems with constipation. she has settled into having 1 big BM / day - usually late afternoon or overnight. so easy to keep track of too............I haven't had to offer her extra water as yet - but it's become cooler here now so that's to be expected. A couple of days when she has had large amounts of milk (900mls +) but was very unsettled in the evening and wouldn't sleep, screaming ++ and sucking (comfort sucking) - when all else has failed, I've mixed up small bottle of 1/2 strength formula as previously I would have put her on the boob to comfort her. This worked like a dream & I figure she has already had plenty for the day and the extra fluid can't hurt. Both times she's gone off to sleep then easily after having about 40 mls...........no biggee & same principle as b/f mums use I figure!

Thanks again for reassuring me - I'm well settled into it now and am finding bottle feeding just wonderful for us Am even back in my normal bras now - what a relief
    T
    Last edited by Tannie; 29-04-2005 at 08:20. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Talking Congratulations

Well done. I am glad you have settled into a good routine for both you and your bubba.

How good is it to be out of maternity bras!!! I am on my way back into them as no. 2 is due very soon and my boobs are ever expanding but can't say I am looking forward to it!! Just had to comment because your post gave me a giggle !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's excellent Tannie, I'm glad you've both found a routine that works! Of course it all changes again as she gets older and starts solids