+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what are the VIC laws for gestational surrogacy?

Hi,

Just wondering,

if one were to decide to carry a baby for a couple who can conceive but who cannot carry, what would be the way to go about it in Victoria?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The Victorian Act prohibits any commercial surrogacy arrangement thereby making it an offence to give or receive any payment or reward under a surrogacy agreement. It is also illegal to arrange a surrogacy agreement or act as a surrogate mother. All surrogate agreements both altruistic and commercial are void.

I didnt think it was legal as I read in the newspaper about couples moving interstate to do it...

I found this website that might help you a bit. >>click<< Not sure if its useful as I didnt read through all of it.
    Last edited by Lollie86; 20-11-2007 at 16:29. Reason: added link

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 –The most helpful member award & The member
    you’d most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    i know a few women have gone to canberra to do it its not permiited in vic as lollie said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Surrogacy in Vic IS legal, but there are lots of hoops that need to be leaped through to get approval from the Ethics Committee...

The biggest hoop is that the surrogate must also be deemed infertile...so they need have already gone through menopause (big ask for someone who has gone through menopause due to age!), or be in premature menopause (another big ask for someone who can't conceive her own children without the help of an egg donor!) etc....

Because of those parameters, it is basically illegal to be a surrogate in Vic...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys...

what rediculous laws!!! That makes no sense to me....if someone is infertile ......I am assuming that in MOST cases, an infertile person (discluding natural menopause from age....not many people in this category would carry a baby by choice I'm sure??) would be dealing with their own journey and/or grief, needless to say, the last person you would suggest become a surrogate??? What stupid laws!
    Last edited by lilpearl; 17-08-2008 at 08:29.