+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default He told his teacher He wanted to kill himself

My sons teacher told me on friday he told her he wanted to kill himself. She was quite concerned to hear that kind of comment from an 8 year old. She asked me if I knew why he would say something like that.

How the hell do I answer that?

For the past few months everytime he gets angry and has a meltdown he screams at me that I should of let him die (he was very sick as a newborn) and that he knows I want him dead. I have never ever said anything like that to him and I have no idea where that would come from.

We have tried to take him to councilling before due to anger issues but he shuts down and refuses to talk. I dont know where to go from here anymore. I am not strong enough to deal with this anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice I just wanted to give you this
    How hard for you.

If he wont' go to a councilor, I urge you to see someone and ask their professional opinion on how you should approach this and what you should say to him.

Best for it.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Have you spoken to him about suicide before??? about what happens - the finality of death ?? all the good things he will miss out on??

I have no experience in this area .. but a friend of mine - her son committed suicide this year .. watch out for a 'turn around' ... usually the child/ teenager gets really perky and happy when they hvae made the decision to do something about it

I really really hope that he is just talking 'stuff' and would never follow through on it ..

its a scary thing to think about/ talk about ... I would definitely try to continue with counselling ... least you know you are TRYING to do something then

xx
    Jen

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Where are do you live? Can you contact your local hospital ASAP and ask to speak to the pediatric mental health team? In Victoria, they're CAMHS - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.

They work in with your child, you and the school for solutions and strategies for kids who have behavioural disorders or mental illness. To have an 8 year old say he wants to commit suicide is obviously very disturbing - and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Good luck with it I hope you can sort it out soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Umm wow, firstly for you.Secondly, is there anyway you can spend some quality one on one time with him?Not saying you don't already.......I just find it helps with my 6 and 7yr olds sometimes.Let him take the day off, get your other kids babysat, take him to a movie and a cafe for lunch and get really talking.(or maybe get your DP to babysit kids and have a movie night and dinner with him). We have 'no holds barred' conversations, they can say whatever they like without repercussions IYKWIM. Has it been worse since you had your DD?

I don't mean to be nosey but is your DP the father of all 3 kids?That can sometimes be an issue to kids around that age. Is he having problems at school with friends or bullies?

I really really hope that he starts feeling better soon mate

Thanks
    Reviews
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!

My heart goes out to you.....

Have the school informed anyone about this..... I just thought that was common practice to hgelp with helping him as well as you deal with this awful situation you guys are in!

It must break your heart to hear that Id probably cry my eyes out if I heard that... So hugs!!!

How would he even know what suicide is...???

Sweetheart you really need to at on this quickly...He needs to go speak to the pardiatric mental health unit asap.....

I know a few places iN NSW if your from here...

Keep us osted i hope you guys can get ontop f this asap...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh my gosh, yeah you need to do something quickly about this one....everyone has given you good advice That would break my heartI am really praying that it all works out, I feel so sorry for him to be feeling this way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i agree with angelmist. do something special for JUST him. i know he is a boy and all but i think he is feeling detatched my brother is 8 and went through a phase like that... no where near that bad tho leave little notes for him... buy soemthing little and give it to him when he is going to bed... keep sending him written signs that you love him. anger can stem from so many places in a young mind.... i would be so devastated too... but i agree u need to show him the finality of death. this is going to sound so morbid... but take him out to lunch and talk and if u still feel his anger and detatchment walk him through a cemetary and read the headstones with him... read the ages and messages and explain that we all go for different reasons... dont let his be that he was angry at you and WAY TOO YOUNG... show him how precious we all are... and challenge him to be the oldest headstone in the place... if that is WAY off im sorry... but honestly that is how i think i would handle it. i feel for you.

and you ARE strong enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    His teacher came to me first because he tends to be a bit dramatic. She wanted to make me aware of the issue as he said it in the heat of the moment durig one of his melt downs.
    He has seen a psychologist through youth and child mental health here in Qld before but unfortunately he refused to speak to her and I would have to literally drag him into her office. So after 3 months of him refusing to speak to her (he was 6 at the time) and him having major melt downs at the mere mention of having an appointment or getting with in 5 metres of her office we stopped the apointments. We have seen many different professionials for Boo over the years but no one seems to hold the answer. I will be contacting the youth and child mental health unit again and hopefully he will be more willing to communicate this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm sorry i wish i had some wise words, wow how very scary and upsetting to hear from an 8 year old.