+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chaddy83 is offline Phoebes, Xaviers & Hudsons mummy
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default parents with 2 children under 2

hi i have 9 weeks to go until i have my second child my first child is 17 months old and she is really mummy's girl. am i in for a real shock when baby comes. im so scared how she will go. any tips would be helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was 19mths when DD arrived, i found he just sort of took it in his stride, i did do the "oh you are such a good helper" thing and i also let him have special "watch the wiggles" time when i was breastfeeding to start with. I also recommend getting the book Koala Lou ( i love this book...lol) its all about mum having another baby but that doesnt mean she doesnt love koala lou anymore....its really cute, its a Mem Fox book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't be scared, it's really not that bad! There's 21 months between my two and it's been pretty smooth going really.
    To make the adjustment easier on your first...

Get her a present for when the baby is born, that comes from her new sibling. We got DD1 a doll with a pram/bassinet etc. She loves it! She gets to feed it, put it to sleep, etc. etc.

Keep her life as normal as possible. My DD1 is used to going to playgroup, kindergym etc. so we kept going. it kept her routine normal to keep the disruptions to a minimum.

Include her in everything. My DD1 isn't overly interested in helping out with some things but I always ask her if she wants to come.

When feeding you can easily read books, play with jigsaw puzzles, or even just watch some tv together. DD1 will walk around the house so proudly breastfeeding her doll saying 'milk, doll, mummy, yes.'

Remember she's adjusting. There was one afternoon where DD1 just refused to listen to me (it was the Fri of the week DH had gone back to work). I knew she just wanted attention but instead of saying no one hundred times and being ignored I just kept an eye on her to make sure she wasn't going to hurt herself and let her go. You have to pick your battles and getting upset isn't going to help anybody. I just rang DH, told him to get him as quick as he could after work. DD1 hasn't done it again!

When the baby is asleep or your DH is home make sure you get some one on time with your DD1. If you do that every day (even if all you can get in is 15 minutes or half an hour) it reminds them that are still special and not forgotten. I don't worry so much anymore...10 weeks in and DD1 just wants to do absolutely everything with her sister. Everytime we do something she says 'sister' cause she wants her there too.

And get yourself a good decent baby carrier (a sling, or a hug-a-bub). I have myself a baby who needs to be held constantly. Without my hug-a-bub I'd have gone insane by now but instead I can give DD2 what she needs and still attend to all of DD1's needs too cause I have 2 free hands.

It's a little daunting at first, and in the first couple of days I got home from the hospital I just kept thinking 'how am I going to do this on my own' but by the time DH went back to work I had it all figured out and I'm still waiting to have the 'I can't cope with this' moment that so many people warned me about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to be in a similar position. My DD will be 19months when my next bubba is born. I am also wondering how my DD will react.

My main concern is that I have always done housework, cooked tea etc while DD is having her mid-day nap. When my next bubba arrives, I may not get that time. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Claire

Wow, 9 weeks? Not long to go..Lloyd was only 16 months when Olivia was born. He didn't seem to be interested in him for the first few weeks, but now he loves her. He gives her lots of kisses and cuddles, try to put the dummy in, always try to find her when he hears her cry, sometimes even join in for a symphaty (sp?) cry . Also, he's now starting to go to this stage where he just wants daddy all the time . Overall, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Anyway, keep me posted and best wishes for the remaining of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had 21 mths between mine. DD was such a mummy's girl too. i was soooo worried about what would happen whilst i was in hospy etc. but it was the best thing for her! she realised that daddy is just a capable and perhaps even more fun! i was a bit sad when i got home and my DD was so independant!!
    you will have some challenging days but i think that is just hsving kids, different challenges at different ages! mine are now 4 and 2 and great mates!
    goodluck, you worked out how to do it first time, anfd you will adapt again this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be in the same boat.
    DS#1 will be three when bub comes along and DS#2 will be 13mths.
    I am freaking out!

I guess you just have to go with the flow and I'm sure it will all work out.

It will be nice having them close and I'm sure they will have a great bond.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just had my second bub and didn't know how my DD would react - was a little worried she would be very jealous but quite the opposite actually! She thinks the baby is like a new toy in the family and has adjusted quite well - in fact she loves to "help" out - when he cries she runs over to pat him etc. In fact she even offered her dummy to him just like on the St George ad!

Just keep you child involved and lots of praise and make them think they are big and clever and smart for helping you out!

And take a nap to keep your sanity - if you can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for this info, still weighing up whether I want another one or not.... kind of like the idea but then again one is enough at the moment!!!

Need to think about it soon though as I'll be 35 next March and dont want to leave it too long....

chaddy83 is offline Phoebes, Xaviers & Hudsons mummy
    Thanks
    Reviews
    the worst thing is my dp is only having a couple of days off. his work wont let him have holidays. thank god for my mum who is taking 5 weeks off work to help me. i live my parents so that might help too