+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you travel overseas with young children?

HI

I am thinking about next year and wondering if we should try and save for a holiday overseas. We would probbaly go about August, making DS1 3 years old and DS2 10 months.

Has anyone done this with young ones or should we not bother?!

If not, what about travel around the top end?

THANKS!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't been overseas with my children yet but will be next August.

I'd do it for sure. Having children shouldn't stop you doing what you want to do.

Enjoy your trip, share it with your children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mumma
    My cousin lives in London at the moment and she has a 10 month old. Her family all live in Australia so she came over when bub was 5 months old and is coming again this month and had no probs with the length of flight or cramped conditions.
    On the flip-side.....
    My sister in-law has a 3 year old that she took to Hawaii recently and regretted the whole thing.....although if you met this child you would wonder what on earth she was thinking!!!! I feel soooo sorry for the other passengers on the flight!
    I think it really depends on what type of children you have and if you think they could cope with being confined to a small space for so long (plane or car!)
    Good luck and happy holidaying

prideNJoy is offline October ~ Vaccine Injury Awareness Month
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We went to NZ with DD when she was 6 months old, had no problems. They usually sit you right down the back though with other people travelling with their young kids too. BF also helped us (as it does with many others) due to there ears popping on take off and landing etc...

Were planning on going over again next year too, DD will be 2 and a bit and DS will probably be around 10 months.
    Obviously it will be a bit harder, but we'll makes sure we have a small bag of toys and things for them to play with on board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    im taking bailey over to Fiji mid next year.

hopping he will b well behaved but hell be like a yr - 18 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think under 18 months is probably quite easy-peezy....I've thought of taking my lot on a big holiday, but the thought is just too scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've done it! We went to Fiji when i was 20 odd weeks preg with number 3 DS1 was almost 4 and DS2 was almost 2. It was only a 4 hour flight though.
    It was great- no drama's at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live overseas and have travelled alot with my little one.....
    In his first 4 months we travelled from Singapore to Perth and back, SIngapore - SHanghai, Shanghai - brisbane and back (just DS and I) and then have done 2 or 3 small trips since. And I am planning a trip back to Oz in 1 month and taking DS myself . We actually moved countried when he was 3 months old.
    It is actually pretty easy if you organise yourself and as we travel alot we wanted to get him used to it.
    Some things to make it easier on yourself are :
    Handluggage - take a backpack - it leaves your hands free,
    Put nappies in individual nappy bags with 2 wet wipes (this was you take 1 sml plastic bag into the toilets on the plane and it is easy to throw away),
    Keep to your bedtime routine as much as possible (even with time differences),
    for the older one - pack small gifts in your hand luggage so that when they are bored or fidgetey you can bring out a new toy to keep them occupied - ie playdoh, colouring book,
    try to arrange flights to fit sleepng schedules - even if they cry a little - you know they are tired and HOPEFULLY they will sleep some of the time.
    Good Luck and have a great holiday
    Last edited by MummaFug; 07-11-2007 at 12:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't have too many qualms but with any country that is different to a western culture that I'm used to, I'd make sure I knew exactly what attractions I'd be visitng and research them until I could be a travel agent.

We took Cobey to NZ last month that was fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If it was to visit people or whatever, I'd do it... but if it was just for a holiday... I wouldn't. DD would just put restrictions on doing stuff and enjoying ourselves... I would wait until she's older before visiting some of hte places I want to go so she can remember it and enjoy herself, so she wouldn't just get bored with us dragging her around hte place each day, and so we could actually do more things that we'd want to actually do.