+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Post Tips for o/s travel with a baby

Hi all,

Just thought I would ask advice on what you should take on a holiday with a baby, my husband and I are planning on going overseas in mid october and our baby will be 10 1/2 months old then.

I was wondering about buying a portacot and stroller for that purpose when the time comes near?

And also what about formula?

Thanks

Harun Saqib 11/12/04

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    It depends where you are going, but in terms of a portacot, it might be worth seeing if you can hire one at the other end - they are quite heavy to travel with. If you are going to see family they might be able to borrow one, or if you are going to hotels they normally provide one for a minimal cost.

The same goes for car seats - although you need to be aware that other countries don't have the same safety requirements for car seats as Australia - New Zealand for example, doesn't require the use of anchor bolts. So if you are worried about this you should take your own seat.

A light stroller is definitely a good idea as you can use them in airports up to the gate normally. Another option is a backpack carrier.

I don't use formula but am aware that there are big differences in different countries, so again it depends where you are going. The same applies to nappies. In both cases it is worth travelling with at least a couple of days supply so that when you arrive at your destination you don't have to rush out on the first day to buy everything when you are jetlagged etc.

Have a look at one of the other threads in this area which covers what different airlines may or may not allow you to carry with you - there are heaps of good tips there too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Draught, we are going to Pakistan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmmm... I have no experience of Pakistan at all. I think your best bet on the questions of car seats, portacots, formula etc might be to check with people you know there (I am presuming you are going there because you have family or friends). And check with the airline what you can carry for free and what you will have to pay excess baggage for - that might make all the decisions for you!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husbands family is there, but I am 99% sure they dont have portacots or even wooden ones as all families co sleep with their kids/babies there. In relation to forumula as far as I know both his sister in laws breast feed and regarding nappies they use cloth diapers not disposable nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear - in that case let's hope someone else on this site can help with ideas on formula and disposables!! But re the portacot - if you decide to buy one and take it with you, a friend of mine bought the Phil and Ted's portacot (www.philandteds.com) which is expensive but incredibly portable - it only weighs 2 kgs and fold up really small - like a pop up tent almost - so could be worth looking at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Formula

Hi,
    I travelled to Canada last Oct with my 10 month old. I have to agree with the other advice - take a lightweight stroller to use in airports and on arrival. A portacot might be useful there, but you might also find that bub adapts ok to co-sleeping, or he could be put on his own mat near you with cushions around him.

I also formula feed and found the individual sachets the best option for the actual travelling. I gave up pre-mixing bottles before flights as it was hard to get them warmed properly and just carried clean bottles, a bottle of water and the sachets, mixing as I needed. The Avent disposable system is good as then you only have to wash the nipple and cap, easily done in airport/airplane washrooms (take a bottle/nipple brush and small bottle of dish soap), and have less to carry. If you go this route make sure you take enough sachets with you for the return trip too - they may not be available in Pakistan (they werent' in Canada).

I had no trouble with changing my dd's formula brand when I was there, she didn't react or mind at all. But if you're concerned you could check if your brand is available in Pakistan. Wyeth (who make all the S-26 and SMA brands here) have at least some presence in Pakistan (http://www.wyeth.com/worldwide/pakistan.asp) and you could call their Oz helpline to try to get info before you go. That way your family can find out where to buy it and have some on hand when you arrive. Watch out for possible fake or imitation brands - I have no idea if it's an issue in Pakistan but I know there was some problem in China in the last couple years.

Your family could probably provide the cloth nappies and all the extra bits needed with using cloth. Hopefully they'll do the washing too?! But you should be able to buy disposables there - try Pampers (by Proctor and Gamble http://www.pg.com.pk/pampershome.shtml).

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI

I have travelled overseas regularly with my now 23 month old daughter. I have a couple of tips.

1. You can't take open tins of formula through customs, most of the formula brands has single serve sachets eg Nuture, Karicare and s26 that you can buy at the chemist. They are really great for travelling and much easier than struggling with a dispenser.
    2. In most of the departure lounges they won't heat bottles for you so a bottle warmer is a really good idea. Katmandu sells a good one.
    3. We found in malaysia that car seats are not required and unavailable so we sat with her in the back seat, a bit nerve racking but she stayed in the seat beat most of the time.
    4. if you can take a portacot it is worthwhile as then your child won't get in the habit of sleeping with you, it is a hard habit to break when you get home.
    5. If you can take a lightweight stroller they are great through customs but the backpacks are really good especially if you are going to be looking around as strollers are hard in crowds and thy can see everything that is going on around them from up high than in a stroller. Katmandu also has a great one that has storage pocket so that you don't need a nappy bag when you are out and about.
    6. If your child likes certain foods like vegemite sandwiches take a jar with you as it saves alot of stress at meal times.

Hope this helps
    and goodluck !

Hope this helps