+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When does kinder/pre and yr one start??

Hello
    Can someone please explain this stuff about what ages kids start what. I thought prep was ment to be at 4yrs of age at one stage, was it? My oldest son in turning 4 on june 8 2008 and I was under the consumption from what others have told me that he has to start prep next yr...
    I know cut off to the yr is b'day has to be b4 the 30th of june or something... So does my son start kinder or prep next yr?
    Also We will be moving in Feb and were not sure where to but we have to move out of this place does that mean he could miss out on a place as school starts in January?

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    He starts pre-prep or Kindy next year 2008 and prep in 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply
    So where do they attend kindy at? is it held at school or where and How do I find out about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kindergarten or preschool is not provided by the government at schools anymore in Qld - you need to look for your local C and K preschool or private kindergarten - many of the churches run them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As draught said, pre-prep or Kindy is at C&K centres www.candk.asn.au
    You will need to get his name down asap though as most centres have already done or are doing their offers of placement for 2008 already.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank You.
    Well we are moving in febuary and we are not yet sure where too will not know exactly untill January. So enrolling him wont be worth it just for half a month or what ever as we have to move by feb 9.
    But I will look into where I will have to take him when he does go to kindy,
    It is not compuslary is it? As my son still can not talk yet and he is turning 4 in june 08 so as you could emagine I am worried about how he will cope attending school when he cant talk and already gets stressed when we cant work out what he is trying to tell us. We have taken him to a speach therapist but have also been told they can not help him until he is in school. So it is very confusing for me as to weather I should be putting him into school next yr under the fact that he still cant talk.
    what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi tinyteddy
    I actually work for C&K
    It is not complusory but studies have shown that children who attend a C&K centre for Kindy do better at Prep than chn who have not. It is part time, usually 2 days or 3 days a week, some centres do a 5 day fortnight. Our teachers are University trained and the program is partly funded by Educaction Qld. The remainder is made up in fees but as we are community owned and non profit, fees are kept low.

As far as the speech therapy goes, you should definitely be able to access a speech pathologist before he goes to school, we have a few chn each year who work with a SP and some have been going since they were two so I would definitely chase that up. Early intervention is very important

Let me know if I can help further
    Last edited by biscotti; 06-11-2007 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you should enrol him into kindy next year (if you want to send him) even if you are moving, things could change between now and feb and you may still be able to send him to where you have him enroled. He will start prep in 2009, but that's also not compulsory.

Also, with his speach, some special education units take kids from about 3yrs old. A speach therapist should be helping your son now, it's a bit silly for them to make him wait til he is in school, I would be getting a referal to another therapist. You could also call a special school in your area and ask them what they suggest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys...
    hey I never thought about the special schools...good idea,
    Yeah I think I might have to look at getting a referal to a different speach therapist i mean he should be talking now. I dont want to wait till hes in school to teach him.
    thanks for the advice guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyteddy87 View Post
    hey I never thought about the special schools...good idea,
    Try the SEDC or SEDU units at state primary schools rather than the special schools as such, they should be able to point you in the right direction and they are the ones that have early childhood groupings
    Good luck!