+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Smile FREE Reward Charts

We see Reward Charts recommended all the time by TV parenting gurus.

We've designed some great little reward charts that you can print off FREE!

There are 6 designs to choose from - they are in colour but you can get your child to jazz them up further. Set your own task and your own reward!

Print off FREE Reward Charts here...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oooo they are very cool!
    I don't use reward charts yet as DD is only 3.5 years old. But they are great, anyone got any ideas on how I could use them with a 3.5 year old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    phineas, how about things like

*for using good manners
    *sharing
    *helping to pack up toys

im going to think of some others but im def going to start using them with my almost 3 yr old!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We've got one for each family member so that the children can be helpful in encouraging mummy & daddy to carry out their 'tasks' as well (mine are exercise related, for example)

Each child has age appropriate tasks - eg 6 yr old has to remember to pack his school bag, whilst the 2yr old has toilet training 'tasks' and the 4yr old has to put her dolls away each evening, etc, etc

Queen is offline 2008 AWARD WINNER � Most bizarre thread award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They are so cool...

I use one for DD 25 months, putting toys away, eatting all her lunch/dinner, using the toilet, and generally being good...

She does not quite understand whats going on, but she loves the put stickers on them.

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a great idea! I will be printing all of them. My dd1 works really well with reward charts. Loves them so much. Ds well I am about to start toilet training so it will come in handy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've printed one off to use as encouragement for DD to get ready for daycare in the morning.

But I'm stuck for ideas on rewards??? Any suggestions for a just turned 4 year old who doesn't like chocolate?

I don't want to give her a new toy as reward. She loves the computer and I thought about making computer time the reward but that would mean taking it away from her in the meantime. Help!

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not always good to use food as a reward.

We used to use gold stars on our sons 'no more grizzles' chart!! I guess something like that is so passe for todays kids

I guess it has to be something you aren't doling out 5 days a week - what about if its 5 days of 'success' they get something like those funny little 'things' (I have no idea what they are called) that kids stick in their Crocs shoes -they sell them at Rebel. Or get to stay up 10 mins longer at night (depends on bed time I guess) or an extra story at bedtime.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    If only I had a printer MJ responds really well to reward charts. She likes to see her own progress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm,
    Reward and punishment is viewed by many a highly qualified psychologist as damaging the self-esteem of children. It is based on old parenting techniques. Rewards do not encourage children to be proud of themselves for their achievements but look for praise outside of themselves. (ie they need external praise to feel good about themselves rather than being happy for themselves without needing someone to tell them that).
    They are less likely to develop a healthy EQ (emotional intelligence) and EQ is what helps them overcome hard times/depression, gives them a greater chance of making good choices when it comes to being presented with drugs, they are more socially popular with peers and many more benefits.
    Reward cannot be without punishment and we see this in classrooms all the time. Stars tell some students that they will never be able to live up to the teacher's standards to receive a star so they stop trying before they even start. It makes mostly co-operative children wonder what they have to do to get a star when they already feel they are performing at their best and deserve one, so they are being punished. Rewards are prone to encouraging "pets". Teacher's pet, parent's pets, etc.
    Given that we have so many issues with children and suicide (when they become teens), it is time we started looking at a guidance approach to raising children so they may be happy within themselves for their achievements without us having to tell them they are a "good girl" or "good boy". They are, after all, not pets but people.
    When we as adults, are sad, are we sent to the corner until we are calm and can come and say sorry? If we are angry, do we get sent to a naughty corner? Then why do we do this to children? When they are sad or angry, they need us to show that we are there for them even when they are feeling out of control of themselves. Then, when they ARE teens, they know that we will be there for them too. Cuddling them when they are out of control of themselves is teaching positive EQ. They need to learn considerate behaviour and a guidance approach is a much better way to teach that and has a much better impact than reward.
    Also, rewards wear after a while. A star for this, a star for that, then next thing you know you need to give more than stars to get any effect.
    BubHub, please take a good look at Louise Porter's guidance approach and other similar styles before posting something that really is not to the benefit of children. If you would like more information then feel free to email me as I am more than happy to help with providing positive parenting techniques.
    This was not written to criticize but in the hope that we can make positive change. This is something that I am passionate about and I hope that by making people aware of better approaches to parenting that we can then promote positive self-esteem in the children of the future.
    Thanks for listening