Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Your thoughts on opinion article: It's time to stand up to the birth police

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...007146,00.html

Honestly, I was disgusted by it. I don't have a problem with women electing c/sections if they want to, that's up to them. But comments like this are just offensive.
    Many women have been brainwashed into feeling traumatised and unable to bond with their babies because they didn't slip out with just the help of aromatherapy oil massages and deep breathing.
    It just shows how little she actually understands about the issue.

Everyone can have their opinion but when articles like this are published it just lessens the chances of people actually understanding birth trauma.
    Last edited by tickle; 02-11-2007 at 07:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah birth trauma is all about a princess moment becaue a woman doesnt get her ideal fantasy birth....pffffft!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It bugs me that she couldn't just post about issues relating to women who do choose a c/section feeling the pressures of others to have a v/birth. She had to attack others in the process.

Her information is also very wrong. Studies that link higher rates of death in babies have been done on babies born by elective caesarean in the US, so there was no added health issues, apart from the c/section.

Also, I'm sorry, but since when was having a natural birth about 'bragging rights'. Honestly, with many of the people I associate with, they said that I was crazy for considering it. It's not about bragging, it's about avoiding unnecessary intervention to benefit the baby and mum. Well in my opinion anyway!

This article really bugged me, can you tell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tickle.

Was a peice of c**p journalism written from a highly defensive position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's rubbish too.

In one breath she's saying, "Don't judge me for having a caesarean," but in the same breath, she's practically rolling her eyes at women who've suffered birth trauma as a result of a caesarean, or who are proud of having a natural birth.

So... she's allowed to not be judged because she had a caesarean... but it's fair for her to judge women who are proud of their VBs, and judge those who had traumatic caesareans?

She's not really better than the "zealots" she speaks of, is she?

The worst part of the article?

But ask around any new mother's group and you'll hear still hear plenty of victim stories.

"I felt so violated when I had to have a caesarean"; "I felt a failure when they had to use the forceps", and all said while they bounce their healthy babies on their knees.
    How can she have the hide to whinge about being judged, while making fun of women who had very disappointing caesareans?

Oh please you bitter old hag! (We need a "punch in the face" emoticon ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen this on a few forums in the last 24 hours and I've read it about three times now and can I just say it made me so sad, and so angry.

She totally misses the point and she might as well go and get in the line behind all those obstetricians who have no respect for, and no understanding of the spiritual and emotional aspects of labour and birth. It's because of views like this that there are so many women walking around with their birth trauma wounds - not because some "Natural Birther" told them they didn't need their c/section.

Most women end up having a caesarean because their planned vaginal birth went horribly wrong and the doctor needed to get the baby out - now.

That sort of drama does tend to double the risk of death and illness to mother and baby.

It's hardly rocket science.
    This is what really got me. Shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of the whole issue

Yet because it gets printed in a newspaper it somehow has credibility, that's what's really dangerous about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with some statemnets and agree with others

Thanks
    Reviews
    disagree with others i mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kinda agree with some of what she said.

I have been made to feel guilty over an epidural.
    I did feel that somwhow I had failed.

Now I laugh at anyone who tries to tell me otherwise.

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really hate her use of the term "victim", as if it makes the women who survived birth trauma weak or pathetic. Victims are people who have to draw on great strength to overcome trauma, and should not be ridiculed for acknowledging their trauma or the fact that they were victims! I would never roll my eyes at the Jews for speaking about the holocaust as if to suggest they're "playing the victim", and would like to think no one else would either! It's the perpetrators who have answering to do.

The comments following the article were just as depressing and frustrating as the article itself. There is some seriously misguided doctor worship in this society

Her piece is extremely defensive and reminds me once again of (I think it was Eleanore Roosevelt's saying) that no one can make you feel a certain way unless you allow them to.
    Last edited by demeter; 02-11-2007 at 11:11.