+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    sarahstarfish is offline Senior Member
    WINNER 2006 Bub Hub Awards: Most Community Minded Member
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Info for potential donors

Hi Ladies

I think this is the best thing I have ever read about ED on the net...have posted in two parts as over character length!!!

http://members.optushome.com.au/dcsg...nfo_sheet.html

Becoming a donor: Information sheet

An information Sheet for Potential Gamete Donors

You are reading this information sheet because you are currently considering donating sperm, ovum or embryos to assist an infertile person or persons who wish to conceive a child.

You may have a very personal reason for wanting to help others in this way, and perhaps even know the people you want your donation to help. You may simply want to "help others", or share your good fortune as a parent, and not know or care who will benefit from your donation. The decision may seem a simple and uncomplicated one.

You are to be congratulated for your desire to help others in this special way. However, if you do make the decision to donate, this will have an important impact on the people who receive your donation, on the person who is born as a result of your donation, and even on you.

About Gamete Donation...

Donor Insemination, or DI, has been practiced for many years in Australia. Invitro Fertilisation (IVF) techniques have also allowed women to donate ovum (or "eggs") and couples to donate embryos.

In the midst of all this technology, it can be easy to forget just exactly what is being done. The donation of sperm, ovum or embryos is not the same as the donation of kidneys, livers, and hearts

A whole person will be created. And not just a newborn baby, but a person who will become first a young child, then a teenager, then a young adult, and eventually a parent and grandparent in his/her own right.

This person, and his/her family, will have the same needs as other individuals and their families. The need to be safe and secure. The need to be loved. The need to be treated with respect. The need to know about personal heritage and history.

Not Your Child...

Donating your sperm, ovum or embryos allows for the creation of a person who will be cherished by people who have longed for a child. You may rightly say that the child who is created is not your child, even thought he or she is genetically your offspring. That the parents who raise the child will be the parents in every sense.

All parents will tell you that it is the challenges and traumas of parenting, not just the "birthing", which creates strong bonds between parents and children. Most adopted people and their adoptive parents have strong, positive feelings about adoption and develop close relationships that last a lifetime. Parents and children donít need to share genetic material to love and be committed to each other.

However, more than one hundred years of adoption experiences in this country has taught us that genetics are important too.

How Gamete Donation Affects Children and Families...and Donors

It was once believed that adopted children would not want or need information about their "birth" parents, if the adoption was a success. It was even believed that children who were adopted would be better never knowing of the adoption. It was also thought that birth parents didnít care about, and would be better never knowing about, the child who was adopted. In short, everyone should just get on with life and forget about the adoption. The adoption was an "event" that had happened, not a process that would continue to have an effect on the individuals and families involved.

Some people would prefer to believe that people born using donated gametes will not want or need information about the donor, to whom they are genetically related. They would probably be better off not even knowing the truth of their conception. The donors wonít want or need to know how their offspring are faring, because they are "not their children". The donation of the sperm, ovum or embryo was just something that once happened.

We now know that it is normal and healthy for adopted people to want to know the truth of their origins, and to need information about their genetic history. We now know that adoptive parents want and need this information too.

We also know that birth parents often think of the child they gave up for adoption, want to know if he/she is well and happy. They donít want to take over parenting the adopted person but they donít stop caring or wondering, either.

Both parents and offspring of families created using gamete donation are increasingly stating that they also want and need to have information about the gamete donor.

We now also know that many donors think of the child that was created, and wonder about his/her welfare and whether he/she has questions about them. Most donors donít expect that they will feel this way, but find the donation, and the growing child or children probably conceived as a result, play on their mind as time goes on.

All of this is normal.

MORE TO COME>>>>Next post

sarahstarfish is offline Senior Member
    WINNER 2006 Bub Hub Awards: Most Community Minded Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Following on...

The Impact of Your Decision to Donate

Obviously there are many people, and a great many issues to consider in your decision about whether or not to donate your gametes. No one is more important than the person who will be created; your genetic offspring, but your own feelings are very important too.

Take some time to consider how you might feel about your donation in years to come. One or more people may come to exist as a result of your donation. They will genetically be your children, although legally, and socially, they will be the children of the parents to whom you are donating your gametes. They may eventually have children who will be your genetic grandchildren.

You have a special and indisputable link to any child you helped to create, and therefore some very special responsibilities which no one else can assume on your behalf.

Can you imagine how donor offspring might feel? To wonder about who they may look like, where they get their talents and personality traits from, what their genetic family history is and what this may suggest about their own potential? To wonder why you donated, and if you cared about their future?

How would you feel if your genetic offspring needed a lifesaving bone marrow transplant from you in the future? Or felt a desperate need to meet with and talk to you, even if just once?

Can you imagine how it must feel for parents of children with all these questions? Will these parents be able to answer their childrenís questions? How would you respond if, one day in the future, you were asked to meet with your genetic offspring and his/her parents? Your answer may depend on whether you keep your donation a secret from important people in your life, or not. It may also depend on how many genetic offspring arise from your donation.

At this time, it may seem easier for you to focus on the creation of a healthy baby for loving people who have longed to be parents.

If you donít feel comfortable with the responsibilities of donation, then donít ignore them. Donít donate!

How You Can Really Help...

If, after reading this information sheet and discussing your decision with friends and family, you still want to donate your gametes, that will be terrific. But whatever you do, donít simply leave your gametes at the clinic!

As a first step, it is important that you leave information about yourself that both parents and the child can have access to. Medical history is important, but so is information about your personal history, your personality and talents, and how you feel about the donation. You can leave a letter, and even a photo, at the clinic at which you donate.

It is also important that you are open to a possible request for information, and maybe even contact, at some time in the future. To do this, it will probably be important for you to tell special people in your life about the donation, and the possibility that you have genetic offspring who may need some information and/or contact with you at some time.

Make sure that you leave enough identifying information with the clinic to enable you to be found in the future.

If you feel uncomfortable about having a number of genetic offspring. then you may wish to ask the clinic at which you donate to limit the number of pregnancies which arise from your donation.

Getting Support

Itís possible that you donít know anyone else who has donated gametes. You may think you donít know any parents whose children were born using donated gametes, or any people who were themselves conceived using donated gametes.

You might have thought this would be an easy decision, and now realise it isnít. If that has been a painful realisation, take heart in the knowledge that it is an important one, and you are now much better equipped to make, and live with, this important decision.

reating a life, and a family, is a powerful and generous act.

It is important that you get as much information as you can about the consequences of your decision.

Talk to people about your decision. If you feel you canít, that may be a sign that donation isnít right for you. A secret as enormous as this will be hard to bear for a lifetime, and may prevent you from fulfilling you responsibilities to your genetic offspring.

Other donors, adult people who were conceived using donated gametes, and parents whose children were conceived using donated gametes, may be able to help you to make a decision that is right for you, and those who will be affected by your decision. If you donít know people with these personal experiences, contact the Donor Conception Support Group of Australia. They can help potential donors of sperm, ovum and embryos, and can give you important insight into the complicated issue of gamete donation.

It is very important that you donít rush your decision. Take time to make a well-informed decision that you feel you can live with for the rest of your life. A decision that you feel will have positive implications for those who will be affected by it.

The Donor Conception Support Group is for anyone involved in donor conception from donors to families to medical professionals, counsellors etc., and anyone with an interest in the area.

END

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahstarfish For This Useful Post:

Crescent (05-12-2011),Maree22 (24-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hi SarahSF

Thanks for posting this , I know that ppl on the hub will appreciate this information. I think the more informed everyone can become the better we will be.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've made this a 'sticky' so that it remains at the top of the section for all to read. And a couple of new smilies particularly appropriate for this section

mumma_jessy is offline Proud Mummy To Three Lovely Little People!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanx for posting this, it's fantastic information!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Excellent info Thanx!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was very interesting reading, you are right to point out all the possible problems
    But I feel that it does not have enough information on the positive aspects of donating.
    There are so many needing help and i find this info trying to talk people out of it.
    Which unfortunately is myself!
    I will not be donating any of my embo's because I am not prepared to leave myself open to future contact
    The guilt would be like that of giving a baby away
    It would have been nice to put a more positive spin on things to make someone like me reconsider

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cani

You are perfectly right when you say that there are so many needing help. But I think that the info provided is good in that it does make you consider the really hard aspects of egg donation. The rights of the resultant child are important too and I think their right to know where they come from is critical.

From reading this information I know that I am just not cut out to be an egg donor. I could never separate myself from any egg I donated. To me it would be exactly like giving a child of mine away to other people to raise. It wouldn't matter how much contact I had. I would feel that the child were mine, which makes me exactly the wrong type of person to consider egg donation.

However, I love that there are some women (and their partners too) out there who have it within them to give this awesome gift to some very deserving people without conditions or entanglements. Such women are truly precious.

Cheers
    Last edited by xkwzit; 10-08-2007 at 14:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i have donated twice now both times the ladies got twins...one anon through qld fertility centre and the other i chose someone off here and have done semi anon meaning i know her by email but we are not going to keep in touch...

personally i am not sure that i could know the person but that is me personally 9Keep in touch etc)....i think you need to be totally clear on what you are happy with re donation as is a big issue...

the way i see it is they are really just cells until placed in a womb and put with a sperm. they are wasted each and every month they mean nothing to us...nothing until they are met with the sperm and womb....it is then when they become a baby..but just because you are technically blood related to something doesnt mean that you love it or need to be a part of its life....and that is how "i " deal with the whole thing...

i think if the person was too close to me i would probably look at it differently...

but let me tell you the emails and the words that you receive for doing such a lovely thing is the warmest fuzziest feelings you will ever get....i think most of us are born to want to make a change to someone elses life..what better way than giving someone a child that they could not have without your help

i cannot imagine life without my three children and i also cannot imagine being ripped off in life destined to not have a child because my body wont allow me to....so with your help someone can have a baby....

it is the best gift you will ever give anyone and it will not cost you a cent..happy for you to pm me if you need anything answered

fee

Thanks
    Reviews

Default a question

Quote Originally Posted by ogilberry View Post
    i have donated twice now both times the ladies got twins...one anon through qld fertility centre and the other i chose someone off here and have done semi anon meaning i know her by email but we are not going to keep in touch...

personally i am not sure that i could know the person but that is me personally 9Keep in touch etc)....i think you need to be totally clear on what you are happy with re donation as is a big issue...

the way i see it is they are really just cells until placed in a womb and put with a sperm. they are wasted each and every month they mean nothing to us...nothing until they are met with the sperm and womb....it is then when they become a baby..but just because you are technically blood related to something doesnt mean that you love it or need to be a part of its life....and that is how "i " deal with the whole thing...

i think if the person was too close to me i would probably look at it differently...

but let me tell you the emails and the words that you receive for doing such a lovely thing is the warmest fuzziest feelings you will ever get....i think most of us are born to want to make a change to someone elses life..what better way than giving someone a child that they could not have without your help

i cannot imagine life without my three children and i also cannot imagine being ripped off in life destined to not have a child because my body wont allow me to....so with your help someone can have a baby....

it is the best gift you will ever give anyone and it will not cost you a cent..happy for you to pm me if you need anything answered

fee
    So who pays for it then, cause I know IVF is expensive, so isn't this the same type thing, where they make you ovulate more than 1 egg and they take them all??? Injections etc??