Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Royal Brisbane and Womens Hospital Birthing Centre

Hi All,

Well i recieved the good news on thursday that i have been allocated a place in the RBWH Birthing Centre!!

However i visited my Dr yestersay and he told me a whole heap of horror stories!! He is also an OB and he worked at the RBWH and also in the birthing centre- so he would know. He said that about half of the midis are beautiful and do wounderful deliveries however the other half are butchers and dont know what they are doing

He told me alot of other horrible things about it such as if i do decide i need an epidural they will do everything they can to talk me out of it (i already knew that lol) but if i still want one- they wont let me have it!!! I told him i would yell and scream till i got one his reply "they will just shut the door and let you scream"

I guess what Im looking for is reasurance from anyone who has been to the birthing centre.... any stories or advice would be most appreciated. I just need to know what everyone else has been through- please be as detailed with your stories as you can GOOD or BAD I dont mind.

Thanks all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't take the word of a surgeon for this stuff. Go to the FBC website and have a look. And get a copy of their protocols so you know what they really do and don't have to hear it secondhand from someone who prefers to take your money to do what they're doing through the public system. BCs aren't perfect, especially those in hospitals but that one has a pretty good reputation. There was an incident where a baby died not that long ago but you know what that was? The MWs saw that a surgeon was needed and put the call out but the surgeon didn't come. Somehow this has been blamed on the MWs. David Molloy, old head of AMAQ (and surgeon with almost 100% c-sec rate!) used to make inflammatory statements about the FBC all the time. He's a laughing stock across Australia. You've made about the best choice possible within the hospital system. Your only safer birth would have been a home birth. Let this guy slide. He's scaremongering. Maybe write a complaint after you read the FBC's outcomes? They're better than any old surgeon, any day! And his epidural tale? What a crock!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are quite a few lovely ladies around here who have been to the BC and I'm sure they could tell you how it was.

Maybe you could ask your Dr to give you some published data about his concerns? I was talking to someone recently who was telling me about a baby who died there and apparently it was the midwives' fault that time (she knows the family) but they have since changed their protocols to make this situation less likely to occur - so maybe your Dr may have out of date info.

I'd be really interested to know what you find out with this as I'm thinking of putting my name down for the BC next time and I'd be particularly interested to see any negative information since what I've heard so far is nearly all positive (which is a good sign!).

Good luck with it, and please keep us posted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I went to the birth centre and I wouldnt go anywhere else.

My hubby knows the doctor who started the last "hoo-haa" about "the killing fields..." he is an absolute nutcase...

I have never been to such a supportive and nurturing place, infact I would be scared to go back to the mainstream part of the hospital, Idont know what I will do if I dont get in this time

Not to in anyway lessen the pain of the couple who lost their baby there but that is the ONLY time anything like that has happened in the birth centre.

Argh, doctors sometimes make me angry...methinks it is because there is way less need for them in birth than they would like to think....

LOL, soryr for the rant, I am on my way out the door.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hey Adele, I had (and still have) the oppertunity to go into the Birthing Centre but I chose not to for the pain-relief factor.
    I'm going to try to go without-drugs but I was told that at the BC I wouldn't be allowed them at all, and to me, that wasn't what I wanted. I want choice (I stub my toe and cry you see, I'm a big big big wuss!) In the mainstream birthing suites I can still have a shower, use heat packs, music, massage, birthing balls etc... but I can also scream like a maniac for the needle.

However, that's the ONLY REASON that I didn't want to choose it. I know a middie who works there and she is FANTASTIC! Even tho' I'm not going there she still offers herself to me to ask anything, giving me her number to call "anytime" if I'm worried.. so I don't think there's too much of a problem.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i was interested in going to the BC until i found out that i wouldnt be allowed drugs... whilst i was pregnant i said i would have drugs if i thought i needed them so i wanted them to be there just incase,.. and thank god i did... i definately needed them!! i had pethadine and epidural coz coby was posterior (only turned posterior once labour started and i also needed the vaccuum extraction to get him out... after three hours of pushing... if i had gone to the BC i would still be there coz there was no way he was getting out himself.. .

i know that doesnt answer ur question coz i havent been there but i think its better to have the drugs on hand incase the need arises...

good luck with ur decision...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just to let you know....you absolutely CAN have gas and you CAN have peth there if you need to. They try to encourage you not to (and having 2 totally different birth experiences, I would definately choose the no drug option again - much smoother delivery, quicker recovery) but of course you can have them if you want them. If you want an epidural they transfer you to the normal labour ward (which is right next door!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adele, congratualtion on getting into the birth centre by the way, you are very lucky Reminds me, I must give them a call this week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments/support!!!! I know that you can be transered if you need an Epi however i know that it can take hours......

Frenchstar- Thanks for that- I thought you could have peth in the BC but after reading alot of the other posts on here I was starting to wonder So you ave confirmend it for me

I am lucky to be in so i guess ill just keep my place- after all they wont let me go to the BC if something dosnt go as planned so well just wait and see

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say I agree with your OBS. I attended a BC in King Edward in Perth. ( See post, BC not all fun & games ) it was the most horrific experience of my life. It was my third child So I know what to expect birth wise & wanted a relaxed atmosphere. What I got was a horrible midwife who offered no support & remember because the is usually only 1 midwife there at a time if you don't get along you can't ask for someone else. You can't not have an epidural & if you real push for one you will be taking to the hospital although they WILL try to talk you out of it. I also ended up with a 4th degree tear because they don't do episiotomies This meant I had to go to Theatre to have surgery, which meant I missed the first few hours with my daughter, which as any mum know are very special. Lucky for both of us we received the best possible care at the KEMH which was some consolation.
    I am now pregnant with my fourth child & even if I was offered a Million dollars I would never attend a BC again or recommend one.
    I think you should think long & hard about it & not just go because you feel lucky to have got in. Got because you really believe that this is the best birthing place for you & your baby. It may seem a very relax place but when you are in the middle of labour it may be very stressful. I now believe there is something very secure & comforting about being in a hospital.
    Goodluck what ever you decide.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast