+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree !

I was another who wasnt allowed to watch the news etc through the last few months of pregnancy. DP banned me because i became too hysterical !

Also taking this time to say i still have your thankyou gift Tracey & it will make it to your place before Christmas, i promise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allyoo View Post
    Also taking this time to say i still have your thankyou gift Tracey & it will make it to your place before Christmas, i promise
    lmao Ally ! Your a dag....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely agree with you in regards to the title changes suggested,, however I notice that quite a few of these mentioned articles are being closed, as a parent (who has miscarried and has had much trouble getting pregnant) I am disgusted by these articles, however I also want to discuss certain issues and feelings revolving around these stories with other parents, I feel it is better to get our anger and disgust out rather than keeping things in, Recently one of these cases has emotionally hit me as a parent ( i am pregnant and lots is emotionally getting to me though.) and I wanted to discuss this on an even level with other parents,,,, however the thread involved has been closed by the mods. I understand some people can get offended by these things so the suggestion to title these threads appropriately is a great idea, that way those that do not want to read about these things wont open it, and those that do wish to contribute in a adult (don't be silly or say stupid things) way can have a say in things considered important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Granted maybe a warning in the title, but please do not stop discussions.

Many people need to discuss crimes and sad news stories as a way of processing both the story and sometimes their sadly similar experience.

The discussions often also help to make other people aware of the sad reality of life for some, and help to make more people aware of their very own vunerability.

Many positive movements and law changes have come about from the wrath that the public feel when a crime is committed, and when the judicary inapproprately sentance or release a criminal - just look at the new law that Victoria introduced - Cody's law, about the burden of proof required to charge a murderer of a child.

If the thread is sad - don't read it. If the title is confronting - then don't start to read the thread. For all of the beautiful miracles that do occur, sometimes the sad reality is that there is some tragedy.

Kayte

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally never reply to these stories as I find them all to sad and distressing and no matter what I say, the little ones will never be brought back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelsmum View Post
    Recently one of these cases has emotionally hit me as a parent ( i am pregnant and lots is emotionally getting to me though.) and I wanted to discuss this on an even level with other parents,,,, however the thread involved has been closed by the mods.

Threads like this usually only get closed if they degenerate into judgement of the parents/mother involved. We try to avoid this, particularly in new cases where we may not know all the facts. Discussion of issues is fine, but we try to avoid judgement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I have been hormonal, I have lost several babies, I have had children that need major medical intervention, I have even had (shock horror) terminations.

I just think that if you don't want to see the news, perhaps you should not read a heading titled "News & Current Events".

Don't even click on it if you think it will upset you!!

It's a chance to discuss what's going on in the world apart from our families. Not everyone needs that, but some of us do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post
    Honestly, I have been hormonal, I have lost several babies, I have had children that need major medical intervention, I have even had (shock horror) terminations.

I just think that if you don't want to see the news, perhaps you should not read a heading titled "News & Current Events".

Don't even click on it if you think it will upset you!!

It's a chance to discuss what's going on in the world apart from our families. Not everyone needs that, but some of us do!
    Hmm, but I don't, I use the "New Posts" feature, as a lot of other members here do. I don't think we should have to stop using this feature when people can simply change their heading titles.

And... I am interested in News and Current Affairs anyway, it's not all horrible and violent. We shouldn't have to avoid everything that's going on in the world just because we don't want to look at the stuff that upsets us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say I agree with the previous few posters... that the titles need to come with a warning but being able to discuss some of these horrifc topics sensibly if you want to should be perfectly acceptable.

I, too, lost a child (my first-born) and many news stories lately I have obviously felt a strong 'pull' or connection to. It is good to have the space to relate as a parent who has been through loss, and to be able share my thoughts and sorrow for the people involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    im kinda the opposite of the general opinion here. while i dont enjoy hearing about children being mistreated i find that it is better to be aware of what is happening.
    for example the story about the father who looked up from the computor and saw a man carrieing his son out of the house, i alwayse lock the screen door now.
    i think the really disturbing stories anout children being killed and awful but the make me appreciate my girls so much, same goes for the threads about miscarrige, still birth and even trouble TTC. i think it all serves to remind us that we are lucky and remind us to appreciate our kids more.

i do agree tho that the titles should be a bit more subbtle. "disturbing content" and "distressing news" should be clearly labeled