+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I should add that I went into my first labour determined to only have an epidural as a last resort - also being afraid of needles, close to the spine etc.....but after 24 hours in labour, with showers, baths, massage, gas, moving around, and lots of breathing, when my OB suggested an epidural as he was about to put me on a syntocin drip to get things moving more quickly, I was happy to agree. They let it wear off twice so I well and truly knew what it felt like with and without the epi, and when I gave birth they topped it up again as they had to use the vacuum and then forceps and give me an episiotomy - and by that stage (at 36 hours) I didn't care at all. I still felt the pressure of her birth and had some sensation - and really all I cared about was that she was here and safe.

The second time round I went in with the same approach of waiting to see what I needed, but a little less scared of the epi option - but I was induced and the intensity of labour meant that I was asking for an epi straight away (with visions of many hours of labour again) and the thought of needles etc was the furthest thing from my mind. This little girl was in a major hurry though and as I said earlier - I didn't really need the epi as she was born literally as soon as the line was in - a total of 2 hours in labour - and with no time to breath to reduce tearing etc. I used the gas much more effectively in the second labour and if I was doing it again (which my husband assures me is not going to happen) I would probably wait longer before asking for an epi as it made no difference except that it meant that I had to wait in recovery for four hours for it to wear off! It actually didn't even take effect until seconds after she was born.

So - gather as much information about the different pain management options (the ideas that kerrie lists are all very useful), and then see how you go on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your advice!!! I feel much more relaxed now and I am going to go into labour with an open mind! No decisions until I am in there!

Will let you all know how I go!! 14 days to the day today to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 4 kids 2 epi , 2 not

I tore with 2 and they cut with the other 2. As it is easyier to reapir a cut to a tear

the epi's they give you a local injection in your back prior to them insterting the epi to num the area. The onlly thing I ofund uncomfortabled was having to curl up in a ball for them to insert it it didn't hurt.

when they see that you are likly to tear they give you a needle so that they can sticth you up . or they may give yu a small cut to save you tearing,
    I didn't even feel this as I was to busy giving birth. by they time they start stiching the area is numb and you don't feel it. but you are aware they are stiching you up.

If you have to have stiches my advice would be to kept the area as dry as possible. When you have shower/bath pat the area dry don't rub as this will hurt.
    Also take your knickers of and let the fresh air get in it helps with the stiched area healing quicly. also I have use a ray lamp or if your lucky and have access to the sunlight for about 10 min a day but no longer as you could burn yourself this also helped a great deal.

with in about 10 days all the stiches had gone and everything was fine.

I have had 1st and 3rd degree tears they were harder to stich than the cuts but didn't feel it

It is normal to feel the way you do. Ask the midwives anything you are scared about and they will explain it. And put your mind and rest and give you the choice of how you would like things to happen.

Cheers
    Colleen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

I'm a first time mum too! I'm due on the 20th April and I'm scared too!
    Not so much about the things you are but more about not knowing what to expect, how painful it is and losing control of my bodily functions. Also I'm quite shy (absolutely dred pap smears) so I'm a little worried about people checking me out down there, hopefully the pain will take my mind off that!
    My plan is wait and see what it feels like and then just go from there, you don't get any medals for going drug free, so I say if you feel you need it then have it!
    Good luck with your birth we'll have to share stories afterwards.

alicesmum Guest
    hi narelle and others!
    no, it's true you don't get a medal, but you do get *lots* of wonderful free hormones from your body when you go drug-free!! like someone in the natural birth thread said, her eyes were like saucers afterwards and so were mine in the photos. And I had a smile from ear-to-ear, tho I'm sure all mums do!
    talking to a few ladies recently who were saying they still had pain around their epidural site *years* later, so though I had said I would keep my options open for the next birth (i understood afterwards why some girls do choose epi's!!) I am now thinking I will srceam and bear it if I can!! but who knows...some situations call for drugs and/or intervention, and you can never be 100% your situation won't be one of those. Please keep us posted re how it all goes!!! Take care...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I too was really stressed about the idea of pain when expecting my baby (now 4 months old).
    I had an epidural, and like the other mums have said, you get a local shot first, and the hardest part of the whole thing is staying still through contractions for the anaesthetist to put the line in. It took about 5 goes to get mine in, but all I felt was a detached sensation in my spine (if this makes sense!). I believe you also have a choice as to whether you want the epi turned down for the delivery. My midwife said I could leave it turned up, that way I would continue to have no pain, and would not feel any stitching etc if it was necessary. However, I had an emergency c/section in the end, so can't give you any advice there!!
    I didn't plan to have the epidural, but couldn't handle the pain of the contractions when they induced me (apparently they're stronger when your're hooked up to the syntocin drip), although I'm glad I sort of experienced them. All I can tell you is that once that epidural was in, there was NO PAIN whatsoever, and I'd do it again in a flash.
    I read all the books on natural childbirth, etc, and planned it that way, but am grateful for modern medicine.
    Good luck with your delivery, how wonderful to finally hold that little person in your arms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Narelle you can say No to vaginal examinations if you dont want them.
    Once again the best way to avoid them is to stay at home for as long as you can before going into hosp
    When you do get to hospy there are other ways to check progress, like palpating your lower abdo to feel how much of your babies head they can still feel above the pelvis....then they can repeat the abdo palp a few hrs later to check that bubas head is decending
    I'll look forward to reading your birth story along with Fist Time Mums
    Kerrie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Narelle

I am the same (shyness) when I was reading your thread I was like oh yes I know how you feel that is so me as well!! But have to also been told that you just lose all shyness in labour!! I have even brought a little tog top for me when I am in the shower!!! LOL!!!!

Best of luck you are due 8 days before me let us all know how you go!!! Fingers cossed for you!!!

alicesmum Guest
    hi girls
    getting close now! v exciting!!!

I too brought a togs top and a nightie in my hospital bag to maintain some degree of modesty during labour, and they didn't even get a second thought once the action started happening!!! I don't even think they made it out of the bag!

please keep us updated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls!
    Thanks for the advice! I'm getting so excited now!
    I was talking to a friend today that just had her second baby and she
    asked for an epidural as the midwife told her she was only at the beginning
    of labour and was in for a long haul. So the midwife went to organise it and by
    the time she got back my friend was ready to push 45mins later she gave birth
    to a beautiful baby girl Hannah Paige.
    I'll let you all know how it goes! (hopefully quickly and painless yeah right)

GOOD LUCK! to you to first time mum