+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared!!!!

Hi everyone

My bub is due on the 28th April and the closer I am getting the more nervous I am getting. I am extremly excited as well!! But am scared about the following......

I really hate needles I hate pain more though and what I want to know is that I am still undecided about having an epidural or not???? What I want to know is does it hurt when they insert the needle into your back?????

Also if you tear down below does that hurt as well when they are stitching you up. I had stitches once in my leg and I had to have 5 nurses hold me down while they tried to stich me up!

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

Sorry I cant help you with the epidural question as I didnt have one.
    I didnt tear either, but I did get a graze. It did burn a little when I had to go to the toilet but the nurses gave me some Ural and that helped.

Natalie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I'm not much help with the epidural, but i'm guessing if your in enough pain you won't care if the needle hurts or not!

I had an epesiotomy with 3 of my kids and they put a local in but i dont know if they do with a tear

I would ask a midwife about this one, she might put your mind at ease a bit!

Most of all don't be to nervous cause in the end it's all worth it!!

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    I am also really scared of needles but have had two epidurals and survived! My advice is don't make a decision until you are in labour - you may be fine not having one, or you may get to the point where your fear of needles is well and truly the last thing on your mind. Before they put the epidural in they give you a much smaller needle with a local in it, and that only stings a little, and means that you don't feel the epidural. The hardest thing I found was staying still while they were putting it in, as I was having contractions (in fact while I was having the epidural for my second labour my daughter was trying to deliver herself - he finished putting the line in and she was born within about 40 seconds of me being allowed to move - which sort of negated the need for the epidural really!) I can certainly understand your apprehension, but I say just go in there with an open mind and see how you go and what you need to get through.

As for stitches - having had an epidural I didn't feel the stitches being put in either time, and the stinging from the stitches and a graze I had only lasted a couple of days and was not bad at all. I have a good friend who didn't have an epidural and needed stitches - she wasn't even aware that had had stitches until the next day, so obviously didn't feel them going in - and the doctor who stitched her is also a good friend of mine and she said that many women don't feel the stitches at all, even ones who need quite a few.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi First time mum (Me too)
    I think it's totally normal to be both anxious and excited at this time
    I like Draughts advice " Dont make any decisions untill your in labour".
    Not that I've had a baby yet, but women tell me that labour pains are unlike other types of pain...i.e its not "broken your leg constant" it comes in waves and you get breaks in between that help you through. Your body also releases endorphins that help you ride the contraction pains, and thankfully endorphin release increases as your contractions strengthen.
    You can also do lots of natural things to help decrease the pain of contractions while in active labour like:
    *moving around freely, rocking your pelvis during contractions or just finding the most comfortable position to be in while the pain is there (avoiding lying on your back).
    * having a warm bath, shower or applying hot towels to the painful part (back, front or both) during contractions.
    *getting someone to massage you where ever you need them to during and or in between contractions.
    * relaxation techniques like visualisation/ yoga breathing/ etc.
    * releasing the pain verbally/ moaning during contractions.
    *aromatherapy/ homeopathy.
    *sourounding yourself with a great support team.
    *flow with the contractions rather than resisting them (because aparently that makes the pain worse).
    *If you and your baby are well and have had a normal pregnancy stay at home for as long as you can bear it before going into hospital (the best way to avoid unnecessary interventions and needles).

Re the stitches. Try and do little pushes or "breath" your baby out slowley so as to avoid tearing as much as you can. If you do have a first or second degree tear and you dont have an epidural you DONT have to have stitches. Stitchers only pull the wound edges together (they dont heal you, your body does that). Just closing your legs brings the wound edges together in almost all cases and in my experience women heal beautifully
    If you choose to be stiched up and you dont have residual anaesethia (?sp) it does hurt. You get local first of cause (thats the bit that hurts) but you should be numb after that and not feel the stitches go in.
    I look forward to reading your birth story
    Kerrie

Thanks
    Reviews

Default It's all worth it.

Hi there,

Well i can't help with the epi as i didn't have one but i did have an episitomy as for me i felt the needle go in and the cut ( even though it was in the peak of a contraction) but I didn't really feel getting stitched up, by that time i was already holding my newborn and nothing in the world would have bothered me.

Don't worry to much you will be suprised what your body is capable of doing and the mind.

Good Luck and enjoy your experience

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stitches

Hi, Can't answer about needles but I hate them too.

I was snipped with my first baby and didn't feel the stitches because of the local. Second baby I was snipped and tore (please note that I had bad luck with both my births as my babies both had to be rushed out) and did feel some of the stitches BUT I worked with the doctor who did the repairs and she kept giving me more locals upon request until the job was done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi First Time Mum,

I HATE needles too. I didn't have an epidural with my 1st baby, so I can' help there, but I can tell you that getting stitched didn't hurt. I had 3rd grade tears with my dd, but they were 2" long vertical tears between the inner and outer labia (She just shot out before I could stretch ) and I needed a lot of stitching (I didn't feel the tearing either)But they gave me a local anaesthetic and kept topping it up. All I felt was a little bit of pulling.

I hope I haven't made you anxious and despite everything had a great labour and birth. Good luck and enjoy it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Epidurals are amazing...

I don't really like needles either and all the blood tests my OB sent me on drove me nuts.

However, I did decide during labour to have epis for both births and I think they are pretty amazing. Firstly, you don't have a metal needle in your back the whole time, only a soft plastic tube is left once it's in. They can be different for different people, but I could feel the pressure of a contraction and was able to push my babies out, but there was no pain. For the first, they turned down the epi for the actual birth, on the second they didn't. I could even move my legs (but wouldn't have trusted any weight on them). As my 2nd baby was crowning I could also feel the incredible pressure of her head just sitting there (we were waiting for the OB!) - but still not painful, just very uncomfortable. ALso, my husband was much more comfortable once I had an epi (bless him!).

I also had episiotomies with both births (the second mainly required due to the scarring of the first one). I didn't feel it with either delivery (even for the first, where they'd turned off the epi - but before the episiotomy I could feel stinging where my OB was worried that I would tear). Interestingly, I could feel him stiching me up the first time (even though by that stage they'd turned up the epi again - go figure?). But they showed me how to use the gas - and I didn't really care too much once I got the buzz going . The only real downside of the epi was that you've got a catheter in for 24 hours, so you have to take your little bag of wee everywhere )

Hope this give you the information that you need to make a choice thats good for you and baby (and partner).

Cheers

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good luck with your birth! Wow, not many days till your due date now!

I think you have gotten some really good advice, I'm not even pregnant yet, but very scared of labour. Im phobic of needles, but over the last couple of months with blood tests and imunizations I'm over coming my fear. The advice to wait until labour to decide on an epidural is great! I've almost decided I dont want one under any circumstances, just because it freaks me out the thought of having a needle in my back, so close to my spine. But I know heaps of women who have had them and think they are great!

I hope everything goes really well for you, and cant wait to hear your birth story!