+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Complete Food Refusal - 7 months

My breastfed baby is nearly 7 months old and is still refusing to eat. I have tried both rice cereal, vegetables and fruit. I have tried different textures. I have tried different temperatures. I have tried different feeding implements (i.e. from different types of spoons, to my finger, to putting food on my baby's fingers). My Mother has tried, my husband has tried. He is not interested in anything.

When I have managed to get food in his mouth (by sneaking it in when he has opened his mouth but not for the food) he just hangs his tongue out and doesn't appear to know what to do with it. Sometimes he swallows some of it but only if he puts his fingers in his mouth and sucks them.

If anyone can help I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    Kylie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Kylie!
    I have heard of exclusively breastfed babies not eating "proper food" until 12 months of age!! I guess you're doing such a fantastic job with the breastfeeding that he can get by on that alone!! If I was in your position, I'd just wait a few weeks and try again with the solids - and if he didn't want them then, I'd wait a few more weeks. Breastmilk is great food, and as long as he's generally healthy and having enough wet nappies, I wouldn't worry. (Easier said than done, I know!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey there,

How long have you been offering him food? I had to offer the dude solids for a good few weeks until he started getting the hang of it. I think that at the beginning he just didn't understand what to do.

I think the most important thing is not to stress. Like Queenie said though, that is easier said than done. So stress, but don't let bubs pick up on it .

Puree the food to within an inch of its life and offer a little bit once a day. If he refuses it, fine, no worries, try again the next day.

If it doesn't work then you will have to do this .