+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Dummy troubles

Hi everyone this is my first thread so here go's

My Daughter Ashytn is 19 months old and can not do anything without her dummy. It is a struggle to get it off her during the day and at night it is a must have.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of her dummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Krysti,
    I am yet to go through this problem as cailtyn is only 9 months old but I heard of this great solution.
    Tie the dummy to her bed with a piece of ribbon. They can then only have it in bed. The little boy I heard about would occasionally run into his room, have a few sucks on the dummy and go back to playing. His mum did find him crashed out one day with the ribbon at full stretch but the dummy was still in place! Eventually he no longer wanted it in the day. I am not sure how night time is going.
    I have also heard that "giving" the dummy to someone else that needs it helps. when I was little mine was thrown into the bush for the baby kangaroos! I was apparently quite happy with the idea.
    Best of luck!
    Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanxs very much that is a brilliant idea i will try it and let u know how it goes for future reference
    thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Chilli

Chilli! If you put chilli on the dummy the romance is over,unless you're unlucky enough to have one of the few children who like chilli . If you just rub a bit of fresh chilli on the dummy that should do the trick (not to hot or it will hurt but hot enough to make a lasting impression). It's a good idea to have a back up one in a packet chillied up andf ready to go. This may sound cruel but it breaks the comfort tie to the dummy cause it's no longer comfortable and if they keep it for to long then there is a range of problems that arise. Could work well to use this with the giving it away theroy "well if you don't like it anymore lets give it away to someone else. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ashtynsmum
    Hi everyone this is my first thread so here go's

My Daughter Ashytn is 19 months old and can not do anything without her dummy. It is a struggle to get it off her during the day and at night it is a must have.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of her dummy

Hello
    I can understand where u r coming from, I have a 25mth old when he was 19mths i made a game of getting the dummy of him during the day and when he took a drink i would ask him for the dummy b4 i gave the drink to him, now i ask him to put his dummy in the sink so mummy can "wash it" dummy gone and 4gotten until nap time or bed time. If he asks for it i tell him " if you want dummy you go into your cot" he dosent like that idea. and another good idea is distraction. another good idea is if she goes to a playgroup she will see other kids with out the dummy, and just say to he if she wants to play with the other kids she must give you the dummy b4 she goes and plays, i found that works a treat
    hope this helps
    melasuras
    PS feel free to contact me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there
    My daughter used a dummy till she was 2 1/2 years. I would often become really worried about trying to get rid of the dummy. I was lucky in that she only used it to sleep with. I tried getting her to give it to someone else but it didn't work. I also tried leaving it out for Santa , didn't work either. When our son was born I kept telling her she was a big girl and didn't need dummies any more. She then started saying she didn't want a dummy but still found the actual seperation hard so I stuck a freddo frog to her wall and told her when she slept without it she would get the chocolate. It took a few nights and a few tears but she did it and hasn't needed one since.
    I think once they are addicted to it its best to wait till they are ready to give it up.Its better to suck a dummy than a thumb. The idea of tieing it to the cot sound great also finding another comfert item like a teddy or blanket might work. Personaly I think the chilli idea is cruel and have read about a case where a baby died after the mother put chilli on their thumb to stop them sucking it. Good luck and remember how many adults do you see sucking dummies