+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Saving cord blood for later use...

I am thinking about getting this baby's cord blood frozen just in case my child/ren need it later on. It costs about $3000 initially I think, and then there's yearly maintenance fees.

Has anyone done this? It's not cord donation as it's not going to other people - it's being saved for my family. I'd love to donate the cord, but my hospital doesn't do it, so I'm not being selfish

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. DH thinks it's a waste of money, but I'm not sure I agree. Feel free to give me opinions either way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you will find that the $3000 covers all costs until the baby is 18 and at that stage they can choose to continue the storage for an additional fee.

We are storing our bubs cord blood with Cryosite. We are planning on using part of the baby bonus and hope that we never have to use it but with advances every day in stem cell research imagine the diseases that could be cured.

We did a lot of research on different company's before choosing so if you want to PM me I can let you know some of our deciders.

Good luck with your decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have done it if I had the money
    Its a really good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it

We went with cyrosite.
    It cost $3000 and as Vespera said, there is an additional fee when the child turns 18 if he/she wants to continue the storage.

Worth every cent IMO

Hopefully we never need to use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a read of this link from the Sydney Children's Hospital.

The (approx) 100mL of blood collected from the cord will go to your baby if the cord is left to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut. This has been shown in numerous studies to be extremely beneficial. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by doulacara; 25-09-2007 at 21:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No way sweet pea, my baby's cord blood goes into my baby compliments of delayed cord clamping

Put where it should be to start life hale and hearty. For free.

Early cord clamping bizzzzarre.

IMO .

Thanks
    Reviews
    we had DD2's saved - DP's brother paid for it as his son has CF - so we are hoping it can be used to help him in the future - we did it through biocell & they have been brilliant

JenL is offline Love my baby boy Cooper ... xx
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This is something I really want to do. I have done a little research into late cord clamping and have been told it can be bad for baby and actually provides no benefit.

I think with the medical advances it is a worthy investment.

Jen xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JenL View Post
    This is something I really want to do. I have done a little research into late cord clamping and have been told it can be bad for baby and actually provides no benefit.
    I heard that too. From a medical student at the hospital I gave birth at (well, not that it was bad, just about it having no benefit). I have since tried to find some information that backs that up but have been unsuccessful. The only stuff I can find on cord clamping says how beneficial it is. Do you have any more info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, I didn't consider delayed clamping. What is considered delayed? My son's cord was left attached for probably five mins after birth. I don't recall exactly, but I remember he was placed on my chest and had a quick breastfeed before my husband cut the cord.

I am really leaning towards saving the cord for later use, but am interested in hearing more about delayed clamping.