+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Putting bub to bed earlier theory??

I have heard a theory that if your bub is waking earlier in the morning eg between 5 - 6am, you should put them to bed earlier at night to encourage them to sleep in longer in the morning. I would have thought that if you wanted them to sleep later you would put them to bed later????

Has anyone done this and had success?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i put DD to bed later she still seems to wake up at the same time, I think she wakes up because im awake if we stay in bed asleep she will normally sleep longer

~mia&ryan~ is offline Welcome to the world little Man!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I have heard this too... On the occasions that DD has gone to bed earlier than normal she has slept a little longer, BUT she has usually had a really busy day when she does that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about real little babies, but I know with my toddler if he is very tired and I keep him up later, he will wake earlier (and be even more tired and grumpy) - if I get him to bed earlier than usual when he is over-tired, he is more likely to sleep in longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Didn't work for us. If I put DD to bed any earlier than 8:30pm she wakes at 4am. If I put her to bed 8:30 or later, she sleeps till 7-8am.

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyCharacter View Post
    Not sure about real little babies, but I know with my toddler if he is very tired and I keep him up later, he will wake earlier (and be even more tired and grumpy) - if I get him to bed earlier than usual when he is over-tired, he is more likely to sleep in longer.
    Totally agree here!!!
    My Ds is nearly 2 and sleeps from 6-6 even if i put him down later or earlier he still gets up 12 hours later! who knows...kids have such bizarre body clocks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The theory is that if you put them to bed and they go to sleep earlier (not just play around, they need to go to sleep) then their cycle of light and deep sleeps shift and then they will come into a light sleep earlier (eg 4 am) and as it is dark will go back ito a deep sleep and wake later when it is lighter.

Not sure if it works but it may be worth a try. Hope that makes sense? Sorry if it doesn't