+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Angry Child Support Payments

Hi all

just wondering if any one had any issues with the father NOT paying Child Support on time. My son father was supposed to pay Child Support on the 7th and still no money has been received. Also, he has to backpay me for 10 months and I called CSA and they told me that they had no arrangement with him, which in plain english means he didn't call in and so they assume that he will pay everything on one go. But as I said, no $$$ received yet.
    I'm wondering what's going to happen next, when CSA follows up with him by the 15th.......I am getting all payments made thru CSA cause I knew he would pull something like that. AND to make the situation even more complex,we are working together so it's hard for me not to say anything.

Any advice???

Cheers
    Belinda

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My hubby pays child support for his first 2 daughters, adn a few years back when i was first with him, he didn't pay for a while (due to not earning enough (he's self employed)).... and they froze his bank accounts without telling him. SO if your ex owes too much, thats what they'll probably do, until he talks to them to organise a payment plan or similar...i think... Don't quote me on that though....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DH and I were separated for 18 months, and in the first 3 months he refused to pay any child support. CSA said they'd give him a few chances to do the right thing, then after that we could take further action. So I gave CSA the name and phone number of his work, and starting from the fourth month, his pay packet was "garnished" (ie his boss gave the child support money to CSA) every fortnight and I was paid once a month. DH didn't like it, but oh well, he should have paid his bl**dy child support!!!

I'll just add, as I understand CSA, they won't jump up and down about his non-payment unless you are jumping up and down about it. I literally could not live on what Centrelink paid me (I got a pittance from them, because I was entitled to so much child support) so I was on the phone to our CSA case worker every week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely your ex realises that the money is for your son, shouldn't that make a difference to him? The money is so that you can provide for your sons needs, maybe you could gently let him know that again, maybe he will see sense. Good luck Belinda.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yep, that's my understanding too. My ex had to pay and they took it straight from his wages.

Should be easy for you given you know all his employer's details!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Child support never chases my husband for money for his son from a previous relationship. He only has to pay her $5.71 a week, which is nothing really. He never pays it, they send us a letter stating how much we owe, he still doesn't pay it and CSA do nothing about it. Just shows you how much the system works. Husband absolutely hates his ex and wants her to have none of his money so he would rather spend the money on him when we have him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We pay $125 per week for a 9 year old boy that I have never seen. His father hasn't seen him since he was 2 (and this is not for lack of trying) We have been to see about getting shared custody, but she won't appear in court or at a mediator because she still lives at home (never moved out) and her mother said that if she shares custody with us, she will be kicked out. I have done everything I can to make her welcome, including sending her a letter if we change contact details i.e Mobile phone, email or moving house etc. Not once have I been acknowledged. She hates me because I caught her swearing and abusing my husband on the phone one night at the bowling alley and I told her to shut her mouth because I knew where she lived. Not exactly an adult reply but I could not help myself. I know that she uses the money that we pay to go to Bingo 3-4 times per week and she smokes and drinks. But please before anyone says anything about my last comment, I really don't care if she smokes or drinks but she shouldn't go around boasting to my sisters in law that she is using the money that I am paying to help bring up this child.

I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. I didn't mean to. I am at my wits end with this girl (can't call her a woman even if she is 32) It makes me cry that my eldest son knows he has a big brother but his mother won't let them meet.

P.s Sorry if I rambled too much. None of my friends have dealings with things like this so I have to keep it all to myself till it gets too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Joanne, i just want to say that i know exactly what you're talking about. Our story is so much the same...i want our girls to know their 2 big sisters but 'she' won't even acknowledge that they ARE their sisters..... I send photos and stuff, as well as all their b-day pressies, but who knows if they actually get them....ever want to talk, let me know....

Sorry Belinda for hijacking your thread for a tic....

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My understanding is that CSA will chase any father once they receive a tax return. I know it's a bit far away at the moment Belinda, but my suggestion would be in the meantime to do as others suggest and jump up and down so that they will go direct to his employer or bank accounts. If your agreement is through CSA then they should have his bank account. As far as I've heard, the only way fathers get out of paying (or just paying the minimum when they should be paying more is to be self employed and creative, or not to put in tax returns).

My DH has an agreement that CSA tells him how much his ex is entitled to, but I pay her the money every fortnight, rather than CSA taking the money. This is so that CSA doesn't know our bank account details and can't just take the money out (they are joint accounts - and this wouldn't be fair to me or DS), and I've heard a lot of stories about money being taken before any mediation etc occurs, we have had situations before when my DH has had a pay cut (to move interstate to spend more time with the kids), but they wouldn't reduce the payments until 4months down the track till they'd sent all of our details to his ex and got her to agree to it - so I'd rather have some hold over when the money goes. If we weren't doing the right thing then my DH's ex would have to ask CSA to collect the money themselves to pay her, which they have said they would on her request. So the answer is if you are getting NAP (Non Agency Payments) and he's not paying, get CSA to collect, it's up to him to do the right thing. I may not agree with the current payment structure (which means DS and I would be financially better off if I left DH) , but I do agree with people not taking responsibility being held accountable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All

thank you all for your replies, in a sad way it's good to know that we are not a minority in dealing with these issues.
    Yes, CSA is collecting from him, and I guess since this is supposed to be his first payment I should be cutting him some slack - NOT - I just didn't want this to be another issue to follow up with him. Since he is not interested at all in seeing his boy - although I regularly take him into work so he can catch a glance at him - it guess it would be a waste of effort to gently remind him that he's overdue.(Last time he heard that word he kinda freaked out a bit....hehe)
    It's a bit far off with "Support the System that Supports you" when you have to give the System a kick in the butt to get things into gear. Hell, it's hard enough chasing my little one, why do we have to chase them up to chase the payee's for money? May aswell join the circus......
    Luckily I don't rely on the Child Support Money, but I feel for all you ladies out there who do. It can be/ is very tough and especially when you have stuff like this thrown your way.....

Hope all is good

Belinda