+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Desperate for information on Lactose-free

Please help. My 2-month-old son seems to have the symptoms of reflux. He also seems to have a cyclical feeding pattern. He presents symptoms of reflux by stiffening when I try and feed him and crying. I can barely get half a feed into him which is usually 50mls. Then he springs back and feeds like a perfect angel for 2 days, then it starts all over again. However, I can still barely get 120 mls into him at one time. The child-health nurse at the day-stay took one look at him feeding and said I should to take him to the doctors because it looked like reflux. Then when the nurse saw him after his feed (he was a perfect angel) she said she wasn't sure. I was given adivce to give my son Gaviscon P (1 ml) before a feed and this seemed to work but then he went back to screaming about his feeds again. Then I tried Karicare thickener with the Gold and giving him Gaviscon before that. That seemed to work but then he had runny stools every feed. Then I took him off Gaviscon and just tried the thickener, which seemed to work but now he's back to screaming again. I have heard Lactose-free is good for upset tummies. I am now asking for help in the wider community, is this so? Does Lactose-free formula really help upset tummies?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gemma

I have no idea, but I would see a doctor before changing formula. If it was me I would rather know if it is a lactose intolerance or reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews

Post Possible Reflux

Hi ReneeEve - reflux is the story of my life - as has been for 13 weeks now...where do I start. Firstly, I agree with Gemma in that you need to see your paediatrician as Reflux can be a very painful serious thing for bub - especially where he is not feeding well. You need a proper diagnosis as it can be properly managed with medication and some other things (feeding in a certain way, elevating bub's bed, possible change of formula, and correct use of thickener etc.).

At this point however I would make the following comments to you (as I have been there and I understand how hard it is to work out exactly what is going on - wish they could talk!!) - if you didn't try the thickener for long, then that doesn't mean it did not work - it is to help keep the feed down (doesn't help with pain or "cure" the reflux) - if bub's throat/esophagus is burnt from acid regurgitation, then this takes time to heal - same with the use of the gaviscon. Niether of these things cure reflux..bub has to grow out of it (basically). The idea is to help slow/ease the regurgitation and cut out the stomach acid - which is what most of the medications are designed to do.

Also - try putting bub's bed head up a bit, feeding as upright as possible, and keeping upright for a while after feeding (20 mins say). One thing I did not know at the outset was that the food leaves the gullet and digests into the stomach after about 20 mins - that is why sometimes bub won't cry until about then.

Also - although some say burping is not related - I found Lachlan to be relieved by burping. I have also recently started using NAN HA formula that it easy to digest - this was recommended to me - but that was mainly because Lachlan kept getting constipated which made his reflux worse because of the pushing and straining.. For this reason we also had to cut out the thickener.

You should see you doc asap. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks for help

Thank you so much for all your help and guidance. I appreciate the time.

Renee

Thanks
    Reviews

Lightbulb We don't know half of it!

My son is now 6 months. Af 6 weeks, I realised that he didn't have colic, (As my daughter now 2.75 years). I went to the paed, who promptly diagnosed reflux. Every night the stiffening, the sleepless nights, the vomiting after feeding, the screams that went through my psyche ...

He is not on Neocate, with a diagnosis of multiple protein intollerance, as well as a jolly good dose of reflux to boot.
    The best medicine around for these bubs is Losec. It is a stronger medication than Zantac (yuk!) and completely gets rid of the stomach acid.
    We were happy until the weaning began. He really cannot tolerate anything other than pear and rice cereal. Not much fun, but it was 3 days of no daytime sleeping after he ate chicken in sweet potato. F*** it has been the hardest 6 months of my life, and we are not out of the woods. Reflux generally lasts most of the first year, and cures itself in time. You may find that bub responds with a more restricted diet. I.e. dairy free, wheat free etc. Good luck with the search. Use the baby sling when you can, at least you both can have peace!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tappy For This Useful Post:

octonaut (19-02-2015)