+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help needed bub won't wean

DD is 14 months old and I have been trying to wean her for the last two months.

Problem is no matter how long I stretch out the breastfeeds she refuses to drink any form of milk or formula out of anything - I have tried all sorts of bottles, sippy cups and normal cups. She is more than happy to guzzle down water but not milk, nor does she each much dairy. Most days she has a breastfeed at 4.00 am, 9.00 am and then at 5.00 pm, other days she claws at my chest all day long and bobs on and off constantly (which I am starting to hate).

So do I go cold turkey on the breast and hope that she will take to milk, and if she doesn't then what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sare is offline Meet the latest addition to our family
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The exact smae thing happened to me with dd1. I wanted to wean her at 12 months, she just refused to take milk (but would have milk on cereal etc). I kept on persisting for almost 2 months. I used the tupperware sippy cup, so that she didn't even have to suck for the milk to come. Then just before she turned 14 months I had enough and decided to go cold turkey. Within a week dd had started to increase her milk intake. Now she loves the stuff.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I weaned DD2 she was 18 months and wouldn't drink milk - a stark contrast to her sister who was a milk junkie. THe week that I weaned her we were down to only one feed a day before bed, so DH put her to bed and I went out of the house. We also discovered that if we warmed up cow's milk in the microwave for 25 seconds that she guzzled it - and 18 months later she is still a warm milk addict but won't touch it cold.

So - try warming it up. (We also use the tupperware sipper cups - they are great!)

The other thing is that they don't have to drink milk at that age to be weaned. Weaning isn't about providing a milk substitute, it is about stopping breastfeeding. If she is getting enough dairy through yoghurt, cheese, etc, and she is eating well, then don't worry about milk. To stop breastfeeding you need to change the patterns associated with normal feeding times - going away on holiday is often a good way to do it. Maybe try dropping a feed at a time by changing the routine around that feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was about to post the EXACT same thread!! So keeep the posts coming girls. I haven't been going as long as you but I can see where things are headed (cold turkey)
    Good luck