+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coping with twins

I'm a new mum of twins. 24 days old - a boy and a girl.

Am having trouble coping with breastfeeding and sleep patterns as they are both quite different.

Is there anyone who can shed some of their own advice/experiences of twins with me. Or put me in touch with others who have twins.

Looking for answers...
    mumoftwinz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have twins, but one baby is a challenge, so I'm sure twins are a much bigger challenge. Well done for still breastfeeding.

here is a link to the multiple birth discussion area of this forum - http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...splay.php?f=81 , but I notice that it doesn't appear to be that active at the moment.

There is also the Australian Multiple Birth Association. You should contact them and look into local groups in your area and what support they can provide. I know a couple with twins and they go to lots of 'twin events' to meet other parents of multiples and discuss their unique issues. Don't know if I can link their website, but here it is - http://www.amba.org.au/content/

All the best!
    Last edited by mim1; 24-08-2007 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey mumoftwinz,
    I had a regular pattern of 4 hours with my 2 until they were about 10 weeks or so I think.. I wouldn't feed seperately as it was way too hard on me and my sanity, so if 1 woke up before the other I'd change that 1 and give them 5 minutes before I woke the other.

I was told not to do this by a few people but they weren't the one's dealing with what I had to go through.

You just need to fall into a pattern and a groove which works for youself and that of your bubs.

The withching housr (which was about 4-5.30pm most days for me) was the worst but I'd just snuggle one and pat the other.
    I was breatsfeeding both at the sametime but I wasn't producing enough for them so I tried on bottle & breast and rotate the feeds but my son wouldn't have a bar of it as it upset his belly too much, yet my daughter loved the bottle, so after 4 weeks I had her on formula and him on my boob. Still fed at same times.

Whenever it came to night feeds I'd feed them 1st THEN change them as they wouldn't wake up fully and fell asleep easier after a full tummy.

Let me know if you need to ask anything, hopefully I helped out in some way. Best of luck, Anna.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi my boy/girl twins are 9wks old and still are waking alot during the night, alot of the time i find they are waking each other so they will soon be going into seperate cots

Sorry i cant help, but i hope it does get easier for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi mumoftwinz,

My twins are now two and a half and my ploy then and now is to encourage the same schedule. I used feed simultaneously (bfing on a Easy2Nurse pillow - they are excellent) and then put them back down together when it was time. Eventually they came together and it was much easier to manage - you get more time to do the things that must be done to survive, like feed, toilet and wash yourself.

I would wake which ever twin it was that was sleeping when the first one woke (who said never wake a sleeping baby?? ) and then when I put them down sometimes one would be more ready than the other.

This doesn't work for every one and I know a couple of mums of twins who ran hers on completely different schedules and made it work.

All the best, I hope it sorts itself out for you. If it helps at all, things really started settling down into a manageable and distinct routine for me at around 3 months and I know quite a few mums who say the same.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks for your advice

Hi Pigeon Pair

Thanks for your outlook on living with twins. I thing my first couple of weeks were just very overwhelming and I thought I wouldn't be able to cope. As the days have gone by (with not a minute to spare usually), I've learnt to cope with my twins and their beautiful and very different personalities. I thought it would be harder, but for the moment it's going OK.
    We have a routine now of feeding every 4 hours, and I've made the switch to the bottle as it makes life much easier for the whole family. Everyone is happy.
    I'm sure they will both bring me lots of joy and happiness as the days go by.
    It's nice to know there are others out there who you can chat with in the same situation.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks to All Who Replied

To Everyone who replied to my concerns - thanks for the advice. It's nice to know that there are other mothers out there who I can talk to / chat with about simple things.
    I really thought it was going to be a tough time, but as the days go by it gets easier.
    Coming home from the hospital with two bubs was really overwhelming (with not a minute to spare for myself in the first few weeks) - I really thought I wasn't going to cope well at all. Looking back now to those weeks, it all seems like it wasn't that hard at all. Just something new to get used to. My bubs are beautiful in every way, and I've learnt to deal and cope pretty well over the last few weeks. A routine is happening and we are all happy families now.
    Thanks again to you all.