+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Has anyone used those monitors that say you can hear your babies HeartBeat???

Has anyone used those monitors that say you can hear your babies HeartBeat?

and are they ok to use?

and do they work?

where can you buy them

thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure honey, but a doppler can't hear the heartbeat till atleast 12 weeks ish I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    as Sheree said Can't be detected until at least 12 weeks, and even then a midwife told me they have trouble finding it before 14 weeks.
    But as far as I know the home dopplers work fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have one and it works well. I can hear babies heart beat clearly and also hiccps and kick etc. It takes a bit of time to get it in the right spot but well worth it.

I got mine from Kmart $40

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sorry forgot to say its not for me my sister inlaw in due in 3 months and i was asking on behalf of her :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Cool I didn't want you to buy one for yourself and be disappointed..

Lyn - what brand is that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky81
    Has anyone used those monitors that say you can hear your babies HeartBeat?

and are they ok to use?

and do they work?

where can you buy them

thank you

Hey do you mean for use while pregnant or the kind of baby monitor for after the birth?

I know there is a brand called Angelcare baby monitor - this has pads that go under the mattress of the cot/bassinette and will set off an alarm when it can't detect breathing sounds etc... If that is what you mean then the cheapest i have seen them is $199 but haven't used this myself.

Indigosmum is offline Membership suspended until further notice
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are thinking of the Angelcare baby monitor, the one you use for in their cot or bassinette, I have used it for the past year and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone! My Mum bought it as my baby boys birth present and it was the one that you buy in the baby shops (ours cost $220) It comes with 2 under mattress sensor pads, not only the one (like the Target one has) every movement and breathe sounds on the monitor as a ticking sound, you can also hear sound on it as well so it serves a double purpose.. If you take your baby out of their cot and you dont turn the monitor off the alarm does sound. I just find when using it, you have to have ceiling fans turned to low, otherwise it interferes with the ticking (the monitor obviously senses movement from the fan.. but you figure that out when you take your baby out and it is still ticking away!)

Indigo was in his bassinette until 6 months (we had a large bassinette) and you use just the one sensor pad under the basinette mattress, when we moved him into his cot at 6 months you use 2 sensor pads, so no matter where they roll in the cot, the monitor still senses their movement.

Our alarm sounded when Indigo was 4 weeks old.. I still remember it very clearly it was 10:00 when All Saints were on and I just ran into the room and didn't even check if he was breathing or not, I just pulled him out of the basinette and started patting him over my shoulder.. he felt a little limp (but this could have been tiredness - he then had a cough and a splutter and was then slowly began to cry and wake up) like I said, I didnt stop to see if he was breathing I just picked him up quick smart.. but who knows, the monitor may of saved my little boys life.. it has never sounded since (thank goodness) so I do believe it was a genuine alarm. (it sounds after no breathing or movement is detected after 20 seconds) We took him up to the Emergency at the hospital and they checked him all over and all of his stats, but couldnt see anything (that was 2 hours after nearly!!!) But I will never question that monitors value. (because I dont know one way or the other)

If this is the monitor you are speaking of, I would buy it. Some healthcare professionals and clinic nurses do try to sway people against it unless there is a proven need (sleep apnoea) etc, because it can make people paranoid. But hey, I'd rather be paranoid than have somthing happen to my little man!

Danielle & Indigo
    * Im turning 1 in just 6 days Mum!*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I had a great monitor that could detect the heartbeat, hiccups and kicks too - it was great! If you SIL only has 3 months to go then it would be perfect for her as the sounds will be easier to pick up.
    You can pick up some good ones on eBay too. The one I had was called Fetal Sounds or something similar.