+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    HI,i am just curious as to whether or not you have to complete your family before donateing your eggs i would like to but i would also like to have more kids should i wait till my family is complete and i am 19 do you have to be a certain age

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always been interested in this .. I have completed my family ... WOW .. might have to read up on it a bit more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hayleysmummy View Post
    HI,i am just curious as to whether or not you have to complete your family before donateing your eggs i would like to but i would also like to have more kids should i wait till my family is complete and i am 19 do you have to be a certain age
    Hi there!

You do not have to have completed your family to donate, but it is preferred that you have.

That's for a few reasons:

* there is a very small chance that your own fertility may be affected.
    *on an emotional level, if your recipients fall pregnant and then you are unable to again after donating, there coluld be a real sense of loss and resentment on the donor's side....

That said, I have known more donors who have gone on to have babies after donating than I do those who have struggled with their fertility.

You only need to under about 38 to donate, so at 19, you have LOTS of years yet to finish your family before moving on to donating. I was 31 when I did my first donation.

Kadwil is offline My growing family - Welcome Thomas!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have considered donating eggs before, but was unsure as I am watching my friend undergo IVF and she has to inject herself, etc - she suffers from PCOS so does not ovulate regularly. I thought that is what egg donors have to do, but I guess if I am developing eggs naturally I wouldn't have to do that! Is it painful? Do you have to take hormones etc or 'time' when you are ovulating? I have considered doing this in the past but I would like to finish my family first (I am TTC at the moment).

wa mum of 4 is offline Diana and I at Luna Park Giggle Giggle
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Kadwil,

I am a donor, if you want to know all that is involved you can have a look through some of the posts in egg donation issues.

I currently have a tread going with my IP's so you can follow along with the journey if you like.

If you would like a more extensive run down you can PM me and I will answer as many of your questions as possible.

to you for considering.

Sarah

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am the mum of four and decided that I wanted to donate my eggs as I was finished my family.

Unfortunately I was 35 and am now 36, and no ones seems to be interested in my eggs. I have given birth to four healthy children, I have no genetic defects, have never suffered a miscarriage.

Its such a shame as I would love to be able to help someone experience the daily joy I feel at being a mum.

With women having their first children at a later age these days its a shame that older womens eggs are not suitable.

My heart goes out to all who are eagerly awaiting a donor to make their dreams come true.

wa mum of 4 is offline Diana and I at Luna Park Giggle Giggle
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mooter,
    I have PM'd you.

Regards

Sarah

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would consider donating and finished my family last year with my 3rd baby at 40. I'm too old to donate which is a pity as I had no problems concieving at 40 and my children are all perfect (IYKWIM).

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a couple of questions ...

Would you need to go into a Fertility clinic and go through all the paperwork/testing first before finding a family to donate to?

Are you able to not be anonymous?

Is it wrong to request that contact be kept between the family and donor? (Eg. Photo's once a year- like birthdays... as I would like to be able to see the child I helped to create.)

Are you able to choose the family/person I want to donate to? (As in, if you saw an ad that appealed to me- could you donate to them?)

TIA for any answers.
    Last edited by xkwzit; 28-08-2007 at 20:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mokar!

You can go into a Fertility clinic if you would like to be matched with recipients from the Clinic's waiting list. Ifyou'd rather find your own recipients, then it's easier to wait, because you might en up cycling through the recipients clinic anyway.

You can be anonymous if you wish - however your anonymity is conditional. Donor registers are being set up all over Australia now, and any children resulting from donations will be sent a letter from the registers when they turn 18, telling that that they are donor conceived and that there are records that they can access that will identify their donor.

no, it's not wrong - it's called "known donation". I keep in contact with my recipients - we were lucky enough to become close friends so are in very close contact.

Other donors do just get the yearly update (they normally request a Christmas card and pic then).

Yes - you are able to choose the family/person you donate to. If you see an ad (either here or elsewhere) that speaks to you, then you can approach the author and get to know them with the view to donating. A good portion of donations happen this way, as most clinics have a 5+yr waiting list for donors.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have - there are a few of us here who are more than happy to answer them!
    Last edited by xkwzit; 28-08-2007 at 20:54.