+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inforapenny View Post
    I agree guys. Until I actually became a single mum, I really had no idea on how it felt.
    Everything feels different when your partner is not there at all, the moments of despair and heartache are unimaginable, unless you have expereinced it.
    I have a question for the single parents - how do you cope when your child is sick, you are tired and you feel yourself getting angry.
    I just want to ring my ex and abuse him.
    Any good strategies out there?\Rox
    how do i cope? - occasionally ringing the ex- the father of th boys- and yelling at him.but rarely anymore. we broke up 8 years ago so ive said just about all i can to him.
    but my main thing is to look at the bigger picture. in 15 years time, ill be 45 and have grown adult children. children arent kids forever, so on those days when they are doing my head in, i try and remind myself that while its had now, its not hard forever. and im going to have a couple of kids who are well balanced, healthy adults, whom i hope to have a great relationship with.
    same applies when kids are sick or im tired- big picture theory. they wont be sick for long, a few weelks at the most, i wont be tired forever.
    doesnt work for everyone but its how i cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    also in regard to JET, you can recieve it longer then the 20 weeks. the jet officer can renew it if they want to.
    ive pretty much been getting it the whole time ive been at uni and she renews it every semester. actually dunno if shes allowed to do that but she does?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Inforapenny View Post
    I have a question for the single parents - how do you cope when your child is sick, you are tired and you feel yourself getting angry.
    I'm not going to sugar coat it and say that there is a magic fix out there, because there isn't.
    I'm 'lucky' because my ex takes the kids every weekend so I get time to myself even if they are sick.
    But if it's a week day - it means that I have to take time off work (unpaid) and still pay for childcare - so its a lose lose situation.

When Im tired - I snuggle my kids into my bed and go to sleep with them... or throw them a pile of books to read whilst I sleep.

When I feel anger building inside - I walk outside with a coffee.. I ignore the fact that my ex is a complete waste of oxygen, and remember that I'm a mother to my kids - I'm not his plaything anymore.

I remind myself that I am now free to be the best mother that I can be.

Simple. (well maybe not so simple - but hey)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
    also in regard to JET, you can recieve it longer then the 20 weeks. the jet officer can renew it if they want to.
    ive pretty much been getting it the whole time ive been at uni and she renews it every semester. actually dunno if shes allowed to do that but she does?
    Not overly sure on this - I was working enough hours to class as full time - and I still only got the 20 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am getting jet assistance, i applied for it earlier this year as my son is in preschool and my daughter goes to school and afterschool care.

So pretty much it was costing me a fortune.

I study online with OTEN (tafe long distance) and I also work as a casual for a large retail store (who basically give me hardly any hours because i am not 16) and i do on average three hours a week as a subcontractor for a marketing firm.

I explained everything to centerlink/jet and was approved for the entire year, for two days a week for both of them and that is all i asked for so i am extremely happy as the rest of the time i am constantly trying to get one full time decent job i have gone for nearly every job advertised in this area and its not what i know its who.

I have been thinking of starting my own business next year centerlink have this program where they help you set up a business, but at the moment i have no idea what business i want to set up.

To those of you that dont have jet, apply for it afterall you wont know if you are entitled to something until you do and every little bit helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that this is a great idea for a thread and
    also advise that up until i found out about Centerpay my finances were kind of a mess.

For those of you that dont know what centerpay is,
    basically centerlink deduct whatever amount you ask from your centerlink payments to be paid towards your bills ie electricity.

I have almost all of my bills deducted and paid for this way rent,elec,phone, preschool and school fees.

This has also been a godsent as recently my ex sil fraudlently tried to claim payment for my two children (despite the fact that a)she has four of five kids of her own and b)wouldnt have a clue as to where the kids and i are). So i was able to say to centerlink and docs i am paying all my childrens expenses via centerpay and why would i do that if i didnt have my kids with me?

The great thing is i no longer have to try and press ten million digits on my home phone with the kids yelling out in the background and the phone handset going flat, i dont have to worry about going to the post office which is always closed whenever i get there and there are no costs involved for me paying my bills this way.

My last electricity bill was $3.65 (mind you thats because the rest of it had been paid) i cried i was so happy i am hoping that my next one is in fact a credit but even if its under five dollars i will be happy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ashleerose For This Useful Post:

A Party of Five (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could'nt do it with out. My parents and my sister., They are always here to lend a hand and give support. If i'm sick my parents always help out. They come over everyday. They also have tyler every sat nite. To give me a break.

Some time's i find it hard. To be able to give advice to other single mums. When they have problems with there ex's. Tyler's dad is not in picture. He doesnt know about her. I dont have that extra drama. In my life so its hard. To be able to understand. What its like iykwim

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleerose View Post
    I should add that this is a great idea for a thread and
    also advise that up until i found out about Centerpay my finances were kind of a mess.

For those of you that dont know what centerpay is,
    basically centerlink deduct whatever amount you ask from your centerlink payments to be paid towards your bills ie electricity.

I have almost all of my bills deducted and paid for this way rent,elec,phone, preschool and school fees.

This has also been a godsent as recently my ex sil fraudlently tried to claim payment for my two children (despite the fact that a)she has four of five kids of her own and b)wouldnt have a clue as to where the kids and i are). So i was able to say to centerlink and docs i am paying all my childrens expenses via centerpay and why would i do that if i didnt have my kids with me?

The great thing is i no longer have to try and press ten million digits on my home phone with the kids yelling out in the background and the phone handset going flat, i dont have to worry about going to the post office which is always closed whenever i get there and there are no costs involved for me paying my bills this way.

My last electricity bill was $3.65 (mind you thats because the rest of it had been paid) i cried i was so happy i am hoping that my next one is in fact a credit but even if its under five dollars i will be happy.
    Ashleerose- don't mean to be nosey, but what is your budget like? How much income do you receive (pension/work etc) and what do you have allocated to what bills, e.g $20 on electricity a week via centrepay..... How much do you have left at the end of the week/fortnight?

If you don't want to answer just tell me to go and jump off the harbour bridge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pay $10 on both gas and electricty (centrepay) I never have a bill

I also pay another $95 a week on bills. To pay them off. I only started it 2months ago. I dont get bills anymore, Its such a great help.

Sorry lee just thought i would. Tell ya my budget aswell

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm slowly getting on top of my finances...

At the moment it's a bit tough as we got a HUGE electricity bill but Integral were great with giving me a months extension... but once that is out of the way, I will be allocating a certain amount a week or fortnight to put towards electricity/gas.

My main concern is Registration for my car... Which is due a day after my birthday in october lol.. so I guess I know where my birthday money is going!!!

Does anyone know what benefits we get regarding registration??