+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single Parents - Questions and Responses

I know we have a single parent catch up thread - but I thought it might be a good idea to have a Single Parents thread for general topics where single mums can ask questions that get answered by single mums.

I know that there are many people who post in here who arent single mums, and as much as I respect your ideas, thoughts and advice - you still aren't single parents so you really don't see things from our side.

Editing this to add Links to sites that provide details on State Pension/Health Care Card Concessions
    These are only the main concessions available.. remember to ask if a concession is available elsewhere - you'll be suprised.

Victoria (opens in PDF so be patient whilst it loads)
    New South Wales (the ACT offers most of these concessions also)
    Queensland
    South Australia (opens in PDF) Not a very detailed list, but offers the most common ones
    Western Australia - I cant find the appropriate site, but concessions for public transport, car registration etc are available.
    Perth Public Transport Concessions
    Tasmania (opens in PDF)
    Northern Territory - again can't find appropriate site but concessions for public transport, car registration etc are available.
    Last edited by Amberlea; 15-05-2008 at 06:41.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amberlea For This Useful Post:

A Party of Five (28-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    good point and good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not trying to be rude - but I just get frustrated when non-single parents pop in here and give their advice,,,
    Yes their advice might work for them - but it doesnt always work for us.

*waves to Mod* can we please have this made a sticky?
    You can delete this post if need be - but I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky Q & A thread in here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question. Is anyone recieving JET childcare assistance and is it true you can get it if you are working or studying or do you need to be doing both? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    you are entitled to 12 weeks JET childcare rebate.
    you must be working/studying... either one or a combination of both : ring centrelink direct to find out.
    Last edited by Amberlea; 06-08-2007 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wats JET childcare rebate ??? and who can claim for it ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    JET stands for Jobs Education and Training.. it is a service/rebate given to single parents to help them getting back into the job force by offering reduced child care fees for a certain number of weeks when they first start back at work. (on top of the normal CCB)
    So you pay less in childcare fees than you would normally.. until u reach the 20 week limit.

Basucally - if you are a single parent - go and see a JET worker -or ring centrelink and tell then that you wish to enquire about the JET child care rebate.
    Last edited by Amberlea; 06-08-2007 at 20:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a great idea for a thread. I understand what your saying. Know one really understand. What being a single parent is like. Unless they have been there. I like advice from anyone who can help me. I just like hearding what people have to say. But its a great idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tam - I love hearing advice from other mums.... but I find all too often that we are given advice in here from partnered mums - and their advice is often not helpful to us.

We can always use their advice - yes.... but it's not always going to apply to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree guys. Until I actually became a single mum, I really had no idea on how it felt.
    Everything feels different when your partner is not there at all, the moments of despair and heartache are unimaginable, unless you have expereinced it.
    I have a question for the single parents - how do you cope when your child is sick, you are tired and you feel yourself getting angry.
    I just want to ring my ex and abuse him.
    Any good strategies out there?\Rox