+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any recommendations for doulas in Melbourne??

Has anyone in Melbourne used a doula and would recommend them??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Highly Recommended

Hi Alisonp. I used a doula for my last birth on the 28th June this year and would highly recommend her to anyone. Her name is Julie Bell and you can email her at autumnrainoz@bigpond.com

I wanted my third birth to be a positive, natural and active labor as my first two were medically managed and I was on my back through both leaving me feeling helpless and incompetent. Julie's support and knowledge were unbelievable and her belief in me is the reason I was able to relax knowing that I could have the birth that I wanted. As it turns out , I strolled along the river for what i thought was early labor and only called Julie when I thought I still had a few hours to go and we headed to hospital (an hour away) We got to the reception desk and my room wasn't ready so was put in a consulting room for privacy. It was only going to be 5min till my room was ready but my dd had other ideas and was born in those 5min. Although this was not the place I had planed on giving birth as it was rather small, I would not change a thing. I now consider Julie a close friend and keep in contact with her. She went above and beyond for me. Hope this helps, and I wish you all the best.
    Pam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Pam Is Julie Bell aka Juliedoula?? I live in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne - do you know if she would travel there?? (maybe you could answer this Julie if you are reading ) I read on a website that she only services the eastern suburbs.

I had the same experience with the birth of DD (induction->epidural->episiotomy+ventouse) and the next time I have a baby (planning next year - 2008) I would like to experience a more natural childbirth. At the moment, I am bouncing a few ideas around in my head and one of those ideas would be employing a doula.

I'm not sure whether my DH is that open to the idea for a number of reasons (price, privacy etc) so I would have to really push it I think but the time to start thinking about these things is now.

Has anyone had any experience with a lady called Dianne Brownlee??? Just looking at some listings her name jumped out at me. Hmmmmm...

Any advice welcome!

Al.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Alison,

Yup, it's me. I live in Warburton which is wayyyy out east of Melbourne. But I travel to birth places all over Melbourne. The furthest I have ever travelled to attend a birth so far was from Hong Kong - to Thailand!

I'm available in 2008! Diane Brownlee is lovely. She's an awesome doula, really gentle and kind. You'd be in good hands with her.

All the best for your research and TTC! If you'd ever like to meet up for a chat, just let me know. Be there with bells on. (Dreadful pun considering my surname ....)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Alison
    I worked with Julie at 2 homeborths a few days ago. She is fantastic; you would not regret hiring her