+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default where are all the Swiss?

I can't believe this is the first Swiss thread. Thought I'd better start one incase they're hiding somewhere. I'm Aussie, but dh is from Switzerland and I also lived over there (that's where we met!, my excess baggage!).
    Anyway hello!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What do my eyes see? I got company, eventhough, you're not Swiss, you still lived there, that's good enough

Where did you live? How long did you live there? Where abouts do you live now in OZ?

In my case, it's the opposite. I'm Swiss and my Husband is from Australia. But like you, we met over there, while he lived and worked there.

We live on Brisbane's northside and used to live near Zurich

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default gruezi!

Hello! In Switzerland I lived in Kusnacht (near Zurich) and then I lived in Altendorf. My dh is from ticino so his mother language is Italian but he also speaks French and German. I can speak Italian but mein deutch? Das ist serh slecht!! Are you Swiss German? We live now in Perth. I visited Switzerland a couple of times when I was travelling in Europe. My base for living back then was the Uk, but that bored me so I moved to Greece, then after seeing Switzerland, made that my base and lived there for nearly a year. We now have 2 kids.
    look forward to chatting with you.
    ciao ciao!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I am Swiss German and therefore I don't speak italian, only swiss german and a bit of french, basically what I learnt at school and haven't forgotten.

We also have 2 Kids, the older nearly 3 and the younger one 7 mths.

I love Perth, I visited it, when I was traveling in Australia, about 10 Yrs ago. I bet it has changed a lot since then.

I just moved to Australia at the end of 2005, basically from a freezing winter to a slaughtering hot summer, change of temparatures from about 40 Degrees.. Shoking.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default hi Coffee!

Hello hello! Can you believe I went out without kids and dh last night! I thinks it's a first for me! You know it's been a long time since going out when you need to borrow your dd's makeup! I have a ds (3) and dd (6). I used to live in QLD. First the Gold Coast, then Port Douglas. Loved the Far North. Have you been up there? When my dh first arrived he too came from freezing to scorching. I think it was around -17 and then 40 here. He had heat intolerance for about 1 week and broke out in a rash. Now he handles the heat better than me and works outside with no complaints. Says he will never go abck to working inside again!
    Did you have your kids in Switzerland? Are all your family still there? Do they come to visit? My dh's family are all in Switzerland and don't speak any English which isn't a problem, but they're not very adventurous in Foreign lands. My Dh has been back once in 10 years and I've been back twice. He doesn't seem to miss it as much as I would miss my home if I was over there. Hope you have a nice weekend! It's wet here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you enjoyed your evening out.

I know how you feel, I hardly get out of the house alone. Mostly, I'm the one who stays at home, while my husband's going out with his mates.

No, I haven't been any further than Cairns in QLD and any further than Exmouth in the west but one day, when the kiddies are older, we're planning to travel more in OZ.

I really want to cross the Nullabor Plain, I dream of that already for ages

My older one is born in Switzerland but he has both passports. He gets the Australian one because his Dad is an Aussie and the swiss, because he's born there and I'm swiss the younger one is born here in Brisbane and will later on, before we go overseas, get both Passports as well.

All my Family and Friends are living in Switzerland and Germany. My Mum and her Sister, which makes my Auntie, were here for about 5 weeks in February/March. So that my Mum could see her grandkids. She hasn't seen my younger one at all, only on Photos.

My Mum doesn't speak english, she knows a few words but that's about it. She understands quite a lot but in a conversation, she just can't formualte the sentences she wants to say. It's always a bit difficult, when we're all together, I always have to switch between swiss german and english.

I don't really miss them so much. I did in the beginning but now it's ok.
    We probably will go over to switzerland mid next year for a couple weeks but nothing really planned yet.

It was wet here yesterday as well, which is okay, we really need the rain, our dams are almost empty..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default swiss chocolate!

Hi Coffee! I'm eating swiss Chocolate! mmmmm!! yum, yum! You sound like my dh when you say you don't really miss home. You must be well adjusted like he is. We both find it hard to go to Switzerland. Apart from the expense, we feel it a bit of a shame to go so far and only go to Switzerland. We have friends in other parts of Europe and also like to visit different places and have a real holiday. Because his family is not that way inclined they don't understand and get offended if we have 5 weeks off and only spend 3 in Switzerland. Their idea is that we should be spending the whole time with them. (That would really send me to Graylands!!). Oh, sorry, Graylands is Perth's major mental health hospital.
    Anyway next year we are hoping to do a yoga retreat in Bali. There's one coming up this September but it's not a family one and my dh doesn't have holidays then. So fingers crossed for next year. It's not completely planned but there's talk of all sorts of things for the kids and Nannies on hand. If it doesn't work out with the yoga we'll probably go anyway as Bali is our neighbour and cheaper than going anywhere in Aust.
    How are your kids going? Are you breast feeding? I'm enjoying our little chats but I still can't believe there are no other Swiss mums. They must be hiding!
    Bye for now, have a good night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there

Funny enough, I don't really like swiss chocolate to much.
    I don't mind the white Lindorballs but that's about it.

I just see, that I have here such a better lifestyle than back in Switzerland, we just bought a house, there would have been no way, we could have afford buying a house in Switzerland, the country is so much better for kids, so many more parks and playgrounds.
    Plus the CC option. In Switzerland, you must be lucky, to find a CC spot, if you're working not to mention, if you're a SAHM.

^^ Had to laugh about your Comment about the mental hospital. Seriously, as much as I love my Mum after having her here for nearly 5 weeks, one of them they spent in Sydney, I had enough and was quite glad, that she left.

Luckily, she doesn't mind, if we're coming over to visit them, that we're also going to visit friends in the UK and I'm also very keen on seing Norway. We even have the option, to leave the Kids there over a weekend and just the two of us go away some where. Something, we couldn't do here, my PIL aren't the youngest and healthiest anymore, so they couldn't look after them over night. (not that there's to much to do but YKWIM)

If I travel all the way to europe, I don't wanna stay in Switzerland at my Mum's the entire time. I'd join you in Graylands..

i'll cross my fingers, that it works out for the Yoga retreat in Bali.
    Personally, I have no interest, neither in Bali nor in Yoga for that matter..

I'm more hooked on Rugby and Moto GP. I wish, we could go and watch more Rugby Games but eventually, when the boys are bigger, we can take them to the games.

My Boys are ok, Jason has become such a chatterbox over the last few month, he was a late speaker, due to the fact, that I spoke Swiss german with him, which I after about year here gave up and Nathan, he's rolling everywhere, checks out the location, he wants to go and rolls there. He has no interest in crawling at the moment but that's ok, he prob. will go straight to walking, like Jason did.

I'm not breasfeeding, with Nathan, it just didn't work out, he never seemed to get enough, each hour or 2 I had to feed him again and couldn't go anywhere, because, as soon as we left the house, he got hungry again and I had a screaming baby and a social screaming toddler in the car.

So I gave up and put him onto Formula, which worked out much better for me and for him.

He's so much more pleasent and quiet now and sleeps also so much better. Before, I got hardly sleep during the night.

I enjoy our Chat as well, I really don't think there are some other swiss here.

I know a few Germans but no Swiss.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default hello coffee!

ciao Coffee! Sorry I've taken a bit to get back on here. First I was really busy and then yesterday I had a horid migrain! yuck! and I never get them, so don't know what that's all about. My Dh would love you, he's right into moto GP. Infact right this minute he's in the loungeroom doing his all time favourite night time relaxation things: playing formula 1 playstation!! Boys love their toys don't they. I'm not into it but happy he has a hobby that keeps him out of trouble.
    I see you're not a chocolate girl. That's a good thing. I'm guessing by your user name that you're a coffee girl? I'm not. I never drank coffee until I went to Greece and suddenly became addicted to it. I stopped soon after and haven't gone back. I'm a herbal drinker myself, but I do love the smell of coffee. I tell myself I don't like coffee but I know it's a lie so I won't drink it. I seem to be good at convincing myself though, I did it through self hypnosis and now I believe it. When I sit down and think about it, like now, my mind knows the truth but on a day to day basis I forget and continue to believe I don't like coffee. It's a good trick and works for lots of things. When you want to hear about learning languages through tomatoes I'll tell you, it's quite amuzing and at the same time bizarr.
    So this week has been busy. DD had her first iceskating competition yesterday came 2nd. That was pretty exciting!! I've been busy trying to balance all my work and family life and hobbies. I need a time management coach!! Never enough time!!
    I think we will go away in the school holidays. Nowhere too far. Somewhere in the country. Probably a farm stay, that'll be fun. I'd better book it.
    Time to go Caffe Frappe (it's a greek coffee,mmm yum....)!!
    bye!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, haven't forgotten you, life's just pretty busy at the moment.

Hope you got over your migrane. It's horrid to have such pain.

I look forward to tomorrow, when the next Moto GP will be on. Hopefully Stoner wins

I don't know why I'm so addicted to sport. Already when I was a child, i loved all sorts of sport. Everyone said, it'll get less, once I get older but til about 20 I was playing Ice Hockey in a club and soccer with my friends in parks or friendship tournaments. It was so fun

Yeah, I'm def. a coffee girl. First thing I do in the morning, turning the coffee machine on.
    And throughout the day, I have about 3 to 4 more Coffees and after diner another one. I'm helpless. Also when I go shopping, before I start, I have to go to Gloria Jeans, Starbucks or Coffee Club and get a Coffee or when I fill up the car at a BP, if there's a Cafe in the Store, I have to get another Coffee..

I only drink tea when I feel sick, really sick. If I can't move because of pain or so, then I like a peppermint tea but else than that, I don't drink tea.

Wow, congrats to your Daughter in becoming 2nd in her first competition. That's really great.

So, now I gotta go to bed, I'm so tired. Ha a couple of sleepless nights, Nathan is a horrible teether and despite the first tooth being out for a couple weeks now, it doesn't seemed to get any easier..