+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First Midwife Appointment!!!

Hi all,

I am 8 weeks in, and I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow. Its all very exciting, but really nervous all the same. I have never been a doctor person, and didn't visit doctors unless I had too.

Could anyone advise as to what to expect on the first appointment? Are tests conducted, and questions asked etc. Just wanting to prepare myself.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

They'll take your medical history down, take your blood pressure and temperature and there's a good chance they'll take some blood to run tests to ensure that your iron and antibody levels are okay (I was anaemic throughout my pregnancies and had to take iron supplements).

They may also get you to do another pregnancy urine test. I found that when my doctor's test came back positive it really reaffirmed the pregnancy, perhaps it's just that someone in the know can see that my test is positive as well.

They might also palpitate your lower abdomen to make sure that your uterus is the right size for your gestation, although this isn't as relevant as later on.

I always found that as soon as I went in to the midwife's/doctor's rooms I forgot all the questions I was going to ask, so make sure you write them down and take a list with you. Make sure you ask about booking in a scan at around 11 weeks. The waiting list can be long and you don't want to be late and miss having any special scans that can help to determine the baby's health, which usually take place around 11-13 weeks.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nkenward,

I agree with Ruth about writing down all your questions...great idea.

Generally at your first visit the midwives will ask you about your medical, surgical and obstetric history, as well as some questions about your family and the babies fathers family's medical history.
    Your blood pressure will be checked and at some clinic's you get weighed and do a urine test (to make sure you dont have signs of a urinary infection and to check you protien levels) at every visit.
    At 8 weeks it is too early to pick up a babies heart beat with the doppler (hand held baby heart beat monitor) or the pinnards stethescope (because the baby is still tucked deep down in your pelvis). The first time they will try and find a heart beat with a doppler will be at about 11weeks.
    Re blood tests, it depends on wether you have already had your routine antenatal blood tests at you GP or not. If not then Ruth is right they will also organise for you to have blood tests (blood group, full blood count, antibodiy screen, Hep B, Syphillis, Rubella screens + some places routinely screen for HIV & Hep C with your consent also). Sometimes the midwives will do the blood tests (one needle for all the tests) for you in their clinic and sometimes your sent to pathology to have it done there.
    The midwives will also discuss genetic screening options with you (13 week nuchal translucency scan, AFP blood tests, amniocentesis, CVS sampling). None of these are compulsory, as with everything that is "routine" during pregnancy you can choose if you want it or not. The midwives role is to inform you of your options so you can make the choices you want.

After the first visit, at the next and subsequent antenatal visits it is likely your midwife will take your BP, test your urine, weigh you , feel your belly, listen to your babies heart beat and discuss any questions you have/ give you info on how your babies growing developmentally/ the changes that your body is making and prep for pregnancy, childbirth and parenting.

Good luck with everything

Kerrie