+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DHEA; (info on Dr's please)

Hi Ladies, I am a new user of this site and am looking for any help locating Dr's who prescribe DHEA (especially in Vic).
    I'm 42 yrs old & my story so far; 1 11yo ds (single parent for 9 yrs). Now back with childhood sweetheart who has no kids and we'd dearly luv 1 together. Ttc 2 yrs, 1 m/c may 06-5 wks, 1 mc may 07- 7 wks. Ovu is reg every mth. Lots of sucess with DHEA o/s in my age group.
    Hoping someone can help please.

wom2
    (leanne)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hiya.

Big hugs to you. Thats beautiful your now with your childhood sweetie.

May I ask what DHEA is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by princ3ssah View Post
    Hiya.

Big hugs to you. Thats beautiful your now with your childhood sweetie.

May I ask what DHEA is?
    Hi Amy,

Good luck with you appoint. at fs. DHEA is a natural precursor for our other hormones which get depleted as we age. See www.centerforhumanreprod.com and also essential baby website do a search DHEA and further info.is here. If you decide to look for A Dr post on eb site. None in Syd that aware of. Bris or melb so far. Sounds really good.

leanne

Thanks
    Reviews

Default melbourne Dr

Hi wom2

I think I may be able to help you out
    I had an appointment with Dr Nick Lolagtis at Monash IVF and prescribed 4 months of DHEA for me. I didn't end up going with him but I am on my 3rd month of it and hoping for much better egg numbers when I go back to Melbourne IVF. ( they don't use it and would prefer that I don't take it but its my body and my choice!) I also reead positive feedback from some O/S websites!

If you need any more info please feel free to PM me
    Good luck with it all

Jbearsmum ( Leanne too)
    Last edited by jbearsmum; 19-06-2007 at 20:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have sent you a pm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jbearsmum View Post
    Hi wom2

I had an appointment with Dr Nick Lolagtis at Monash IVF and prescribed 4 months of DHEA for me. I didn't end up going with him but I am on my 3rd month of it and hoping for much better egg numbers when I go back to Melbourne IVF. ( they don't use it and would prefer that I don't take it but its my body and my choice!) I also reead positive feedback from some O/S websites!

Good luck with it all

Jbearsmum ( Leanne too)
    I'm interested in this discussion as well...from what I've read....DHEA and its' effect on egg quality is definitely not conclusive.

by the way who are you seeing at MIVF ?? me I'm seeing Manuela Toledo...I'm due for down reg scan on Friday.

good luck all. cheers LG

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dhea

Quote Originally Posted by jbearsmum View Post
    Hi wom2

Good luck with it all

Jbearsmum ( Leanne too)
    Hi Leanne

Sorry haven't beeen back to this site for a few weeks due to computer playing up. Read your info this morning and made appointment straight away for early August. I am having a few test done locally on hormone & DHEA levels before appointment as I'm 2 hrs east of Melb and figured it would save time if I had all info to take with me and didn't have to waste yet another month before starting any treatment. Would love to keep hearing how you get on with the treatment. Take care Leanne

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi everyone, just wondering if any further thoughts on using DHEA to improve my chances of conceiving...also is it a prescription or over the counter medicine? i just figure that any assistance has to help right???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DHEA has to be made up by a Compounding Chemist here in Australia and requires a prescription. It's one of those supplements that is worth trying even if there is no conclusive evidence either way.

Melatonin is also another supplement worth trying for egg quality. It also needs to be made up by a Compounding Chemist here in Australia and requires a prescription. My FS (Warren De Ambrosis) had me on both as part of my protocol (75 mg's of DHEA..taken in 25mg capsules 3x a day and 1x 5mg capsule of Melatonin at night).

The Melatonin you buy off the shelf at the chemist is only a homeopathic blend and isn't strong enough to do squat diddly. You can also take Co-Enzyme Q10 (600mg's a day is the going rate recommended by my FS).

In saying that, many people buy their supplements online from places like i-Herb for example as it's cheaper apparently. I'm neither encouraging or endorsing that you do that, only letting you know what options other people use

Good Luck Luv!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    DHEA has to be made up by a Compounding Chemist here in Australia and requires a prescription. It's one of those supplements that is worth trying even if there is no conclusive evidence either way.

Melatonin is also another supplement worth trying for egg quality. It also needs to be made up by a Compounding Chemist here in Australia and requires a prescription. My FS (Warren De Ambrosis) had me on both as part of my protocol (75 mg's of DHEA..taken in 25mg capsules 3x a day and 1x 5mg capsule of Melatonin at night).

The Melatonin you buy off the shelf at the chemist is only a homeopathic blend and isn't strong enough to do squat diddly. You can also take Co-Enzyme Q10 (600mg's a day is the going rate recommended by my FS).

In saying that, many people buy their supplements online from places like i-Herb for example as it's cheaper apparently. I'm neither encouraging or endorsing that you do that, only letting you know what options other people use

Good Luck Luv!!!!
    My FS has suggested trying DHEA-S during my next cycle. I've been doing a bit of research from what I can find it looks like it is suggested to take it for 6 weeks to 3 months before cycling.
    Can you or anyone else tell me how long your Dr had you take it before your Egg collection?
    And can I ask how much I should expect to pay for the medication?
    I don't think it is covered by the PBS but I may be wrong.