No announcement yet.

When does one sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you saw my guy in the bath you wouldn’t want to put a baby in there! Hahahaha he likes to make waves!

I am going to try using Timmy time more at night, that seems to tire the little guy out.

I have talked to the husband about increasing daycare days but we agreed to keep it at 2 for now, he does swimming and kindergym during the week so it’s starts to add up in the bank and we have just bought a house so paying two mortgages (own my parents) and car loans and all the other life stuff.

My mum is going to cook a few meals a week to freeze and I have sisters willing to help over weekends. My mum can come and sit with the baby during the week but she has physical disabilities that restrict what she can do, like she wouldn’t be able to do bath and bed time with the toddler.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
      Of course they don’t need it. I don’t find bathing a baby hard. I didn’t use soap or anything but I found it wore them out. I just placed them in the warm water for a bit of a play. I found it worked wonders for making them tired, giving me a really long stint of sleep for the first part of the night after a good feed before bed. Mine were overall pretty good sleepers. Plus the olde ones loved having their baby brother or sister in the bath with them.
      it’s not hard, but i’m saying for something that’s not completely necessary, it can be another thing to do for someone who’s already struggling, time poor and on their own. the OP asked when does one sleep; i’m offering shortcuts to try and claw back some precious time, which could either be spent resting or on more critical tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
        it’s not hard, but i’m saying for something that’s not completely necessary, it can be another thing to do for someone who’s already struggling, time poor and on their own. the OP asked when does one sleep; i’m offering shortcuts to try and claw back some precious time, which could either be spent resting or on more critical tasks.
        She’s also tired because the baby is not sleeping in the bassinet at night so I suggested a bath to tire them out and then maybe the baby will sleep better in the evening time.

Comment

Also the transition to no nap is a killer. It’s hell for a while until they adjust. They will be exhausted. Once you’ve put him to bed, tell him you’ll come back in 5 mins. Then when you go back, tell him you’ll be back in another 5 mins.

Comment

Yes dropping the nap is hard work. It takes a couple of weeks for them to adjust to it. They’re horrible weeks but they do learn.

I would drop the nap, do simple dinners, and plan some outside fun time for when you know he will be grumpy. I used to stick my toddler into bed next to me for quiet time instead of a nap, and I could doze while the baby slept. She only ever slept for 40 minutes though so it wasn’t long!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
              Also the transition to no nap is a killer. It’s hell for a while until they adjust. They will be exhausted. Once you’ve put him to bed, tell him you’ll come back in 5 mins. Then when you go back, tell him you’ll be back in another 5 mins.
              I agree with this. Try the 5 min thing. It might be roughy for a few nights, but it does work and a few rough nights are worth the possible payout of an easier bedtime.

I agree with easy dinners and bulk cooking too. I personally wouldn't skip baths as I think the bath, feed, bed routine is a good one to stick to. They may not need a clean with soap, but my kids both loved them, and their rolls do get full of stuff that need washing out!

My only other thought is will the baby sleep in a cot at night? I know mine would sleep OK in the bassinet in the day but not at night after the first few months. Worth a try?

Comment

And sometimes frozen nuggets and beans is an awesome dinner [emoji23] Scrambled eggs. Takes 5 mins and they are delicious and nutritious.

Comment

Update. I have trialed cutting out nap time this week and it’s paid off, over the days the meltdowns have become shorter and he is going to bed before 7 without a major fuss, asleep by 7:15 usually. Somehow he has more energy through the day though so that’s keeping me busy, down time/quiet time/chill time is a struggle.
                  Unfortunately mister newborn will only sleep with me so we are having to co sleep which has always been something I would never do (it terrifies me) but it’s the only way I can get any sleep, I’ve talked to the nurse about it but if anyone has any tips regarding it that I should know, I mean I have researched the crap out of it obviously but always good to hear from those with experience.
                  Daycare tomorrow thank goodness, batch cooking my way to an easy week!
                  Thanks for all the tips and tricks x

Comment

Originally posted by Tdez View Post
                    Update. I have trialed cutting out nap time this week and it’s paid off, over the days the meltdowns have become shorter and he is going to bed before 7 without a major fuss, asleep by 7:15 usually. Somehow he has more energy through the day though so that’s keeping me busy, down time/quiet time/chill time is a struggle.
                    Unfortunately mister newborn will only sleep with me so we are having to co sleep which has always been something I would never do (it terrifies me) but it’s the only way I can get any sleep, I’ve talked to the nurse about it but if anyone has any tips regarding it that I should know, I mean I have researched the crap out of it obviously but always good to hear from those with experience.
                    Daycare tomorrow thank goodness, batch cooking my way to an easy week!
                    Thanks for all the tips and tricks x
                    I co sleep. Started it out of desperation with dd and found it made eveything soooo much easier, so doing it straight up with my newborn son. Follow the co sleeping guidelines which im sure you've googled anyways. I felt like I was commiting a crime at first and when i finally admitted it to a few mummy friends, they laighed and said yeah we've all done it. Throughout history its been totally normal and common to co sleep. :-)

Comment

Oh and haha my 18 month DD has also decided she no longer wants to nap, now that we have a newborn. Great timing. We struggled with what to do but after letting her nap whem she's exhausted at 4 and her sleeping till 6pm then up till 10pm! We decided to try keeping her awake and not letting her nap. Its weird as she gets more hyper and goes a bit silly now around 4-5pm BUT she'll go to bed at 6:30 and is asleep in 15 minutes so seems its working for us same as you. The no nap break for us is a bit hard but its worth sacrificing we reckon, if it means she's in bed earlier and it only takes 15 mins to put her to bed. Friends with older kids have mentioned to me that often the no nap is just a phase ans in a few weeks or months she might start normal middayish daytime naps again. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                      X