This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Midwifery/Nursing Students

Hi, I thought I would get a thread started for those that are in the application process for next year. I have just applied to ACU in Brisbane to do BA of midwifery as a non school leaver but based on my year 12 results. Fingers crossed! Kids are old enough for me to get some study in now, hoping it all works out!

Hi! I have applied for Bach. Midwifery at ACU melbourne for 2014. I am 22 so have applied as mature aged student, & will be sitting the multiple choice STAT test in October. I did the practice one and after doing great on that I feel less nervous.

I'm really hoping I get in.

How did you apply based on your year 12 results? I'd like to do the same as I got a really good ENTER. Is there somewhere you go when applying to say on what basis you would like them to "judge" you on, or do you simply mean that that's all you have to apply with (if so, I'm in the same boat - ie no further education/qualifications etc) if that question makes any sense! I'm so tired I can't word my thoughts properly.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasurfs View Post
      Hi! I have applied for Bach. Midwifery at ACU melbourne for 2014. I am 22 so have applied as mature aged student, & will be sitting the multiple choice STAT test in October. I did the practice one and after doing great on that I feel less nervous.

I'm really hoping I get in.

How did you apply based on your year 12 results? I'd like to do the same as I got a really good ENTER. Is there somewhere you go when applying to say on what basis you would like them to "judge" you on, or do you simply mean that that's all you have to apply with (if so, I'm in the same boat - ie no further education/qualifications etc) if that question makes any sense! I'm so tired I can't word my thoughts properly.
      Hey mamsurfs, I think you will still be judged on your enter score combined with your stat results (which certainly can't hurt to do and will probably increase your chances). I just applied through qtac here which your equivalent would be vtac. I think most people do the stat if they have been out of study for a long time and didn't get the minimum entrance score required when they did year 12. Really hope I get in also!

Comment

I've been accepted to do a graduate entry B Nursing at QUT next year. I'm not starting til Semester 2 though because bub is due at the end of October and I think sleep deprivation and studying would be pure evil! I'm only going to do two subjects though because I don't want to miss out on bubs "firsts" but I want to get this course underway because I'm not getting any younger

Comment

Good luck ladies, it's getting harder and harder to get into mid

A back up plan is always advisable.

Comment

Originally posted by mummykym View Post
            Hey mamsurfs, I think you will still be judged on your enter score combined with your stat results (which certainly can't hurt to do and will probably increase your chances). I just applied through qtac here which your equivalent would be vtac. I think most people do the stat if they have been out of study for a long time and didn't get the minimum entrance score required when they did year 12. Really hope I get in also!
            I was under the impression that with ACU pretty much everyone needs to do the stat test? At least in vic?

Comment

Good luck to you and hope you get in! Nursing and Midwifery are both awesome professions. They say it takes special people to be a good nurse/midwife. I was always in awe of the women studying with families young or not. I don't think I could have done it, I'm far too unorganised :-)

Comment

Maybe it's a vic thing then, rang acu and qtac here and both said I personally didnt need to do it.

Comment

Hi, I thought I would get a thread started for those that are in the application process for next year. I have just applied to ACU in Brisbane to do BA of midwifery as a non school leaver but based on my year 12 results. Fingers crossed! Kids are old enough for me to get some study in now, hoping it all works out!
                  I'm also in qld and would love to study to be a midwife. Just wondering when you completed yr12 and what your results were like.

I have already been to Uni studying a bachelor and a graduate diploma so I'm not really sure where to start or what I would have to do to get in.

Comment

Thank you! It sounds like such a rewarding career, my midwife friend says she never feels like she is stuck at work. I did 1 yr of a law degree (enough to know it didnt suit me at all) so looking forward to studying something a bit more hands on if I get in!

Comment

I got a 90 in Victoria 10 years ago but since discovered in qld if you have done 1 year of full time uni or tafe they base your entrance score on that. 1 years uni with a grade point average of 4 or above is equal to about a 95 selection rank so with all of your study you should have no problem at all!

Comment

Thank you! It sounds like such a rewarding career, my midwife friend says she never feels like she is stuck at work. I did 1 yr of a law degree (enough to know it didnt suit me at all) so looking forward to studying something a bit more hands on if I get in!
                        It absolutely is a rewarding career. I moan about the early starts and 12hr shifts but you wouldn't get me doing anything else. It's a real privilege to be allowed into someone's world in the way you are as a nurse or midwife. Doesn't matter how many babies I bring into the world, I still get a tear in my eye with each one :-) Good luck to you all!

Comment

Maybe it's a vic thing then, rang acu and qtac here and both said I personally didnt need to do it.
                          ohhh I wish I'd known this earlier lol. so frustrating! I find the whole process really confusing to he honest!

On the course guide (in vic) it said if you're applying seas, then you must do it. I wasn't even sure if I needed to apply with seas or not, I called vtac and the lady was no help just told me she couldn't tell me what to do?! lol

Comment

Hi ladies! I've applied for nursing/midwifery. I have been out of school for 10 years...so I'm a bit nervous about the STAT. I've book the NOV test so hopefully that gives me enough time to get my brain working again!
                            As a back up, I've also applied for a bachelor of nursing and a diploma.

Comment

bMid Melbourne 2014

Hi all! So happy to see a thread like this ha been started. I am looking at relocating from Sydney to Melbourne to start a bMid in 2014 (Sydney courses are way to competitive to get in... my marks were high, but not THAT high and i am desperate to start studying the course!!!)

I am currently looking at studying at either Victoria University or ACU as these are the uni's that offer the bMid. As i am not from Melbourne, I wondered if anyone had any opinions on which course or university is "better"? I know that the courses are much the same, and I prefer the format of the VU course, but there seems to be many more people on these forums choosing ACU and I can't seem to find a reason for it?

Is anyone applying for these courses next year? Are there any students of these uni's on here?

Would LOVE to hear from you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X