• Show
Clear All

• Abn??? Confused??? What do i do?

Ok so im a house cleaner.
    Do i need an abn?
    What do i do to get one?
    Does it cost any money?
    What do i do with it?

You need an ABN if you're in business to make money. You can apply on the ATO website and its free. If you have all the info it asks for the ABN is usually issued at the end of the questions. You need it for your tax return at the end of the year and to put on invoices our tax receipts if any of your clients want one.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bubhub

Comment

Oh ok cool. Thankyou

Comment

Ok so im a house cleaner.
        Do i need an abn?
        Not necessarily. It depends on how you run your business. An ABN is not automatically required though. A business can legally operate without an ABN.

What do i do to get one?
        You apply via the Tax Office. They determine whether you are eligible for one. ABNs are not an entitlement.

Does it cost any money?
        No. But if you use one when you aren"t supposed to it will

What do i do with it?
        If you are asking this question then it's likely you aren't eligible for one.
        You really need to speak to an accountant about this as there are requirements and responsibilities attached to an ABN.

Contrary to the advice given above, you are not allowed to charge or claim tax just because you have an ABN.

Comment

No, when I said you need it for your tax return and invoices I mean that you need to pay tax on net profit at tax time. And on invoices so that any company you clean for knows not to withhold tax for you, not so you can charge GST. That is a whole different registration and I dare say unneccesary. There is a tool to help you determine if you need one although its not really comprehensive:
          http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...ment.xr4&go=ok

Comment

Working...
          X