Saving cord blood for later use...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving cord blood for later use...

I am thinking about getting this baby's cord blood frozen just in case my child/ren need it later on. It costs about $3000 initially I think, and then there's yearly maintenance fees.

Has anyone done this? It's not cord donation as it's not going to other people - it's being saved for my family. I'd love to donate the cord, but my hospital doesn't do it, so I'm not being selfish

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. DH thinks it's a waste of money, but I'm not sure I agree. Feel free to give me opinions either way!

I think you will find that the $3000 covers all costs until the baby is 18 and at that stage they can choose to continue the storage for an additional fee.

We are storing our bubs cord blood with Cryosite. We are planning on using part of the baby bonus and hope that we never have to use it but with advances every day in stem cell research imagine the diseases that could be cured.

We did a lot of research on different company's before choosing so if you want to PM me I can let you know some of our deciders.

Good luck with your decision

Comment

I would have done it if I had the money
      Its a really good idea

Comment

We did it

We went with cyrosite.
        It cost $3000 and as Vespera said, there is an additional fee when the child turns 18 if he/she wants to continue the storage.

Worth every cent IMO

Hopefully we never need to use it.

Comment

Have a read of this link from the Sydney Children's Hospital.

The (approx) 100mL of blood collected from the cord will go to your baby if the cord is left to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut. This has been shown in numerous studies to be extremely beneficial. Just something to think about.
          Last edited by doulacara; 25-09-2007, 22:35.

Comment

No way sweet pea, my baby's cord blood goes into my baby compliments of delayed cord clamping

Put where it should be to start life hale and hearty. For free.

Early cord clamping bizzzzarre.

IMO .

Comment

we had DD2's saved - DP's brother paid for it as his son has CF - so we are hoping it can be used to help him in the future - we did it through biocell & they have been brilliant

Comment

This is something I really want to do. I have done a little research into late cord clamping and have been told it can be bad for baby and actually provides no benefit.

I think with the medical advances it is a worthy investment.

Jen xx

Comment

Originally posted by JenL View Post
                  This is something I really want to do. I have done a little research into late cord clamping and have been told it can be bad for baby and actually provides no benefit.
                  I heard that too. From a medical student at the hospital I gave birth at (well, not that it was bad, just about it having no benefit). I have since tried to find some information that backs that up but have been unsuccessful. The only stuff I can find on cord clamping says how beneficial it is. Do you have any more info?

Comment

To be honest, I didn't consider delayed clamping. What is considered delayed? My son's cord was left attached for probably five mins after birth. I don't recall exactly, but I remember he was placed on my chest and had a quick breastfeed before my husband cut the cord.

I am really leaning towards saving the cord for later use, but am interested in hearing more about delayed clamping.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazellew View Post
                      What is considered delayed?
                      Anywhere between 30secs and 2 minutes, early cord clamping is under 30 seconds although when I asked my Dr about this he said he would be lucky (regardless of the birth) to clamp the cord within 30 seconds.

Delayed cord clamping increases the amount of iron in the babies blood but the long term benefit of this is unproven.

If I wasnt banking our cord blood it is something we would consider but for us, having the cord blood for later on outweighed the short term benefit of the extra blood to the baby.

Comment

You want to save the CORD for later use? That would be different!

I don't know heaps about this, but apparently in many situations your child would be better off using donated cord blood rather than their own. It's something to do with the cord blood having the same genetic "issues" as the rest of their body. It would depend on the condition of course as to whether or not it would be relevant, but it might be worth doing some research on whether it's actually better for your child to have their own cord blood or someone else's in the event they needed cord blood.

Sorry about my hazy memory

Comment

Originally posted by Tea Lady View Post
                          You want to save the CORD for later use? That would be different!

Yes, I think it'd look great as a Christmas tree decoration

Leaving out one word can certainly change a sentence, can't it?

I'll have to read more into that TL. It's certainly food for thought. I wish I'd looked into it earlier. I've only got four to five months to research it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazellew View Post
                            I am thinking about getting this baby's cord blood frozen just in case my child/ren need it later on. It costs about $3000 initially I think, and then there's yearly maintenance fees.

Has anyone done this? It's not cord donation as it's not going to other people - it's being saved for my family. I'd love to donate the cord, but my hospital doesn't do it, so I'm not being selfish

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. DH thinks it's a waste of money, but I'm not sure I agree. Feel free to give me opinions either way!
                            Ooooh!! Hazelllew... I was going to start this thread.

I was talking to my dad last week ( a doctor) and he said that possibly in 10 years time they will be able to grow body parts from stem cells and cord blood.

Just think of the possibilities! Your yet to be born baby could have another heart waiting for him if it gets damaged.

Not only that but if mummy or Daddy needed a new heart they could grow a new one from babies cord blood and the compatibility would be alot higher than a donors organ.

So.. for toadlet number 2 I will definitely saving it's cord blood as a organ back up for the whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by JenL View Post
                              I have done a little research into late cord clamping and have been told it can be bad for baby and actually provides no benefit.
                              I too would be interested to know the research that suggests it is bad?

Hazellew: Delayed cord clamping usually means leaving the cord intact until it stops pulsating, ie when all the blood has been transfused into your baby. After this, there is usually not enough left for storage. There are some great articles around on the benefits - just use google.

BTW - I have heard from some midwives recently that the private cord blood banks pay some midwives a fee to collect the cord blood - just be wary of what people who are collecting the cod blood have as their true motivation when taking advice from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X