Tell me everything about your mirena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me everything about your mirena

How heavy was the initial breakthrough bleeding for first few months etc. ?

I had a mirena inserted 4.5 years ago. I have honestly not had one complaint. I didnt have any break through bleeding in the first few months and in fact over the entire time I've had it in, I might get a "period" which is literally just a smear of light coloured blood when I wipe, every 6 months or so. I am due to have it taken out in a few months and I will most likely have another one inserted (FTR, I had the mirena inserted due to heavy periods, not for birth control).

Comment

Originally posted by GirlsRock View Post
      I had a mirena inserted 4.5 years ago. I have honestly not had one complaint. I didnt have any break through bleeding in the first few months and in fact over the entire time I've had it in, I might get a "period" which is literally just a smear of light coloured blood when I wipe, every 6 months or so. I am due to have it taken out in a few months and I will most likely have another one inserted (FTR, I had the mirena inserted due to heavy periods, not for birth control).
      Oh thank you. Just what I needed to hear. Yes mine is for heavy periods, but also contraception- 41 and no more babies for me

Comment

I had one put in when Ds1 was 6 weeks old. Had it in for 4/5 years I think or there abouts. Didn’t have any real periods at all no bleeding after it was inserted. I would get some light spotting on rare occasions and that was it

Everyone responds differently though

Comment

My first one was put in when I was under GA for other reasons. I had no issues with spotting or anything else and thought it was the best thing until it dislodged (within a month or two? Memory is hazy).
          I had another put in soon after and it was a nightmare. I think I lasted a month with really heavy bleeding and some scary side effects before I pulled it out one night after having another black out episode and getting uncharacteristically aggressive.

Comment

I had one put in when DD was 6 weeks old... I had months of light bleeding and considered having it taken out. After about 6 months it regulated but my af was still over 2 weeks long and short cycles so still bleeding more than not bleeding. After a year I gave up and my GP took it out (didn’t feel a thing), then I immediately fell pregnant [emoji23]

Comment

Tell me everything about your mirena

Oh thanks everyone. I went to gp this morning . I had started back on pill 2.5 weeks ago and I kept bleeding med after af had finished - continuously. I chatted to her about mirena, she’s given me a higher strength pill to see how that works, but also gave me script for mirena if I decide to go for it. She did say though that because of my history of very heavy af’s , there’s a higher risk of it expelling!

Comment

Originally posted by atomicmama View Post
                My first one was put in when I was under GA for other reasons. I had no issues with spotting or anything else and thought it was the best thing until it dislodged (within a month or two? Memory is hazy).
                I had another put in soon after and it was a nightmare. I think I lasted a month with really heavy bleeding and some scary side effects before I pulled it out one night after having another black out episode and getting uncharacteristically aggressive.
                Eek

Comment

Originally posted by Kazza78 View Post
                  Eek
                  They are known side effects, but in my experience were glossed over. After I removed it and noticed the dramatic shift in mood, I read through others' experiences and learned that I definitely wasn't alone. When I went back to my gyno, he agreed that I had made the right decision to remove it.

I would still try it because it may work well for you, but just be aware incase you do start to notice any changes.

Comment

is it painful or difficult to get put in? i’m still none the closer to finding a contraceptive solution and am sort of just now leaning towards a mirena because i can’t think of anything else.

i’m not keen for hormonal stuff but keep hearing it’s a very low dose. i worry about the mood aspect too.

your experience sounds quite scary!

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisecoast View Post
                      is it painful or difficult to get put in? i’m still none the closer to finding a contraceptive solution and am sort of just now leaning towards a mirena because i can’t think of anything else.

i’m not keen for hormonal stuff but keep hearing it’s a very low dose. i worry about the mood aspect too.

It is painful, but it's over really quick. Given it lasts 5 years if all goes to plan, it's definitely worth a few minutes of pain.

Comment

I didn’t find it all that painful to get put in. Maybe a bit worse than a Pap smear but not unbearable.

I haven’t had mood swings or any other side effects. My experience has been very positive with it. It’s apparently the equivalent to just two mini pills a week, delivered locally to the uterus.

Comment

I got the Mirena put in a few months ago, so very new to it all. It was put in for very heavy and prolonged AF/adenomyosis.

I have had about 3 cycles (I think) with it so far and initially the break-through bleeding was weeks on end, but now seems to have settled in. Apparently you need to give it at least six months to settle in and get it checked at the three month mark to see if the strings are okay. The strings drove me batty at first as I could feel them when I walked but now I don't feel a thing.

Mood-wise I feel the same as when I was on the pill, a little hormonal/down around the time of AF, but no real change there.

All in all *touch wood* I am happy so far and would recommend it, but I think I will know for sure after a year at least. My Gynae told me I can have it in for 7 years, possibly even 10 I didn't know it could be in there that long.

Comment

ETA: Insertion-wise, it was a bit of an uncomfortable pinch, but over so quickly that it doesn't register as painful.

It was a bit of a dull ache and some bleeding afterwards, but that is normal and could resolved with paracetamol if need be.

Comment

They are easier to put in when you’ve had a vaginal birth as the cervix is soft still. I tried after Ds2 csec there was no way my gyno/OB was getting it in there so had the implanon instead

Comment

Working...
                              X