Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I have a C-Section in a public system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have a C-Section in a public system?

Hi mums and mums to be,

I am TTC at the moment but an getting am very nervous. I can be honest with everyone here and say that the one thing that is making me nervous is the way that bubs comes into the world.
    I could never, ever in a million years have a vaginal delivery, never, ever ever. It frightens me to death. I will never even contemplate giving birth this way. To all the mums that do, you are my heros, i soooo wish i could do it but i know i cant.
    So my question is, i want to have a c-section, i know that i cannot mentally give birth any other way, so can i have a c-section in the public system? I have heard how expensive private health insurance is, even when you are insured, it seems like a joke to me. Please tell me if i can have a c-section in the public system? I am getting so nervous and i might be pregnant...... if i cannot have a c-section in the public system then i will have to go abroad which i dont want to do...
    I am crying now i am so nervous...
    Please bubhub mums, i need your advice...

I am sorry to say but I am not sure. I hope someone else can help you.

Comment

Have you considered getting some counselling to help with this? The reason why they will try and discourage a c/section is that physically it is unnecessary surgery and riskier for you. Talk to the doctor on your first visit to the hospital, I'm sure they won't have any problems with doing the c/section if you explain your situation.

Comment

in a public system they will only do a cs as a last resort and only wen really neccessary! this is wat i got told anyway! but ask the doc and hospital ...hope it all goes well

Comment

Generally speaking, in most hospitals, they will not perform a c-section on a public patient unless it is clinically necessary. However, private patients are another story altogether, and if you are a private patient you can choose to have a c-section and indeed some practitioners would actively encourage you to do so.

But, this policy could vary between hospitals.

I agree with Happy Lady, perhaps you need to discuss your fears with someone who is trained to help with these issues.

Good luck.

Comment

usually the public system won't do it unless there is a medical reason for it

Comment

I know here in Adelaide you can definitely have an elective C-section in the public system........not sure about there up in Qld though.

Sometimes I wonder that if some Mums anxiety about a VB is so high - then that's a medical reason for a C-section anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Missus S
                I know here in Adelaide you can definitely have an elective C-section in the public system........not sure about there up in Qld though.

Sometimes I wonder that if some Mums anxiety about a VB is so high - then that's a medical reason for a C-section anyway.
                flinders won't really do it unless theres a medical reason

Comment

Originally posted by Missus S
                  Hi Peaches, I have had 3 e/c in a public hospital ~ for medical reasons though, but I read in another thread something about someone saying that all females that have given birth in her family have had very bad experiences with vbs and the doc didn`t ask anymore questions, so maybe you could use that as well. And like Missis S wrote maybe just the fact that you have high anxiety about the issue could work for you also when you do conceive.. Take Care..

Comment

Originally posted by peaches
                    if i cannot have a c-section in the public system then i will have to go abroad which i dont want to do...
                    hi Peaches,
                    I do feel for you. It must be a terrible feeling. I was recently reading about this very thing in Mother&Baby mag. They suggested seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to work through the problem. Maybe talk to your gp about it.

Just wondering where you'd go overseas, and why you'd do this? Would this too be an expensive option?

Have a look in to your private insurance options. We pay $120 a month, covers obs. You need to be in the fund for atleast year before most will pay out for this though, and yes, you still have charges on top of that. Our obs was about $1000 as an example and we had $500 excess for the hospital. Don't forget though you can claim back from Medicare for some of the charges, obs, paed, anesthetist, and there is the Medicare Safety Net to claim back from when you reach a certain amount of gap payments in a calender year, for us it is $1000 but is less for some people.

Comment

Peaches hi,

I really feel for you as when i fell preg with my daughter who is now 2 that was me and the way i felt i had a csection elective and not for medical reasons and it was the best choice for me in a public hosptial if you want to ask any questions pm me and i will try and answer

Comment

I am the bubhubber who told the PUBLIC hospital I had a history of really traumatic VB's in my family and I didn't want to go through that myself. The doc I spoke to rang the 'head' doc, explained about my family history (all lies by the way), the doc said make sure it's defo what she wants and if it is then let her have a c section. I laid it on pretty thick about all the traumatic births I had witnessed about babies heads getting stuck etc, so they let me have one. Nobody ever questioned me from that day on.
                        I had a fantastic c section and really can't wait for my next!Don't let anyone make you believe that you need help because you want a c section! C sections aren't for everybody. I knew I would always have one, it's what is right for me. Some women don't understand this.
                        If you think it is right for you, go for it! It's a fabulous experience!
                        Last edited by natasha; 30-07-2006, 20:22.

Comment

Thanks to all for your advice

Nothing will convince me to have a VB so counselling will be pointless.
                          Natasha you are really funny, having to lie to get a CS! maybe i will have to do that, im not a very good liar though...
                          How much detail did you have to go into with the lies?

Does anyone think that a genuine fear of VB will get me a CS? This fear of VB is the reason that i have never had a child, and im nearly 31

Is going private my only option? If i dont have private insurance can i pay for a CS in a public/private hospital?

Please help...

Comment

hi
                            i too am looking into having a c-section. after the distressing VB i had with ds1 i never want to go through that again.i am in the public system too so fingers crossed we both get the c-sections we want

Comment

Peaches, because I am english I didnt have to pay in a public hospital (there is some agreement between Australia and the UK to say we don't have tp pay over here and Ozzies don't have to pay over there I think).

As for the lie, I didnt have to go into much detail at all. I said I had been present at a few of my auntie's and sisters vaginals Births and found them very traumatic as there were complications with many of the births. She asked what complications so I said about babies heads getting stuck halfway through and how it came out not breathing, black and blue.(This actually happened to my auntie but i wasn't there). I said I just don't want to go through that at all and my mind is made up.
                              That was it really... Tell her you know about all the risks involved but make sure you do read up about them. Just make sure you put across that there is no way you will take no for an answer!
                              Last edited by natasha; 31-07-2006, 17:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X