No announcement yet.

epidural fear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugh my epidural didnt work at all. felt everything.

they usually give you an epi when you are at LEAST 4cm dialated i THINK but im not sure.

Comment

Yes they like to wait until you are 4cm or more dilated before getting an epi because that is considered the point at which a woman is in established labour. If you get one too early it can completely stall labour.

Comment

yeah i thought so. just wasnt 100% sure.

Comment

I breathed on gas and air whilst I was being given my epidural at the natural birth of my twins. I'm a woos with needles at the best of times and needed something to distract me. It worked!

Comment

Originally posted by twinpregmum View Post
            Does the needle kill.... Truthfully?
            Will I feel any pain during the labour?
            Can you have the epidural as soon as you arrive?
            Does the pain relief wear off or can they insert more?
            Is the chance of tearing increased?

I have had 2 epis.

Some wm find the needle painful, I didn't like it.

Most wm do not feel ctx with an epi, some also do not feel the urge to push when fully dilated.

Having an epidural can reduce the effectiveness of your ctx and prolong labour, if you are less than 4cm your labour can stall completely and then need to be augmented (such is the cascade of interventions)

An epi is inserted into the space in between your spine, the tube stays in place and is taped to you extensively to prevent it moving or dislodging, the drugs can be put through this line at anytime, you will also be able to control your post birth pain relief with an epi in.

If you cannot feel the urge to push then yes, you are at increased risk of tearing by pushing ineffectively without the ctx's.

If you have fear of birth pain then perhaps you should be investigating all your options rather than heading straight for a relatively extreme form of pain relief. To birth your twins without ending in a cs you would be best to keep control of your situation, as mentioned above and epidural can effect your ability to birth. Other interventions also increase your risk of ending up with a cs. I would be wary of any Ob who wants to perform a "just in case procedure" like an epi for twins.

I know a wm who birthed her first twin at home and then transferred in after a placental abruption, her second twin was born via cs in perfect health.

There is always time and if there isn't having the epi just in case will not make a difference. In an emergency everything can be done in the blink of an eye, I have only ever seen the necessity for such an emergency twice in the past 5 yrs, most em cs occur over a 10-30 min period, my em cs occured 40 mins after I was told it would be done.

Good luck,
            Sarah

Comment

I've always wanted to have an Epi. Then I went to antenatal classes and learnt more about Epi's. I then thought I wanted to try gas etc first and see how I go. But the closer I am getting to giving birth (I'm 36wks today) the more I'm getting scared of giving birth and am now thinking I want an Epi...but I'm still in 2 minds about it. I'd feel dissapointed that I didn't at least TRY to do it without an Epi..I don't like the thought of being restricted to bed..I'm also scared of tearing...But I'm still very scared of the pain of doing it without an Epi.

Comment

My experience. I loved it and I will def be having another one when I give birth this time.

Please research it so you feel comfortable with the process. My DH was wonderful keeping my in position and distracting me through contraction.

Does the needle kill.... Truthfully? I was honestly petrified of have the epi. I had a great anethesist even at 2am! He didnt let me see anything so I dont even know what it looked like. I had a local which didnt hurt anymore than a normal needle then I just felt him pushing and pressure and then he said all done. I thought he was still trying to find the spot

Will I feel any pain during the labour? I didnt feel pain but i could still feel my contractions, I could feel when I needed to push and I pushed effectivley. I still felt my baby being born and it was uncomfortable but not painful but I did have the epi turned down for delivery

Can you have the epidural as soon as you arrive? I think you have to be in extablished labour. So 4cm dilated. It may be different for different hospitals

Does the pain relief wear off or can they insert more? If it starts to wear off the can top it up. I actually had mine turned down a bit for delivery

Is the chance of tearing increased? I didnt have an tears or cuts so no stitches.

Comment

I am more afraid of the idea of an epidural than I am of the actual labour (and I'm still extremely nervous about that lol) I'm hoping I can literally push my way through it with gas only (maybe some aromatherapy) Plus I'm allergic to the adhesive from bandaids so hmm I'm hoping I won't need one.

Comment

I loved my epidural! I had it after 10 hours of intense contractions and it brought instant relief. I didn't notice any pain because the contractions were worse. And I was completely oblivious to the catheter. I think I was up walking a couple of hours later. I think I'd have another epidural next time.

Comment

Originally posted by twinpregmum View Post
                      I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with twins and absolutely petrified of giving birth.
                      My doctor wants to do vaginal birth with an epidural.
                      Both babies are head down and are in the ideal position.
                      I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding the epidural....

Does the needle kill.... Truthfully?
                      Will I feel any pain during the labour?
                      Can you have the epidural as soon as you arrive?
                      Does the pain relief wear off or can they insert more?
                      Is the chance of tearing increased?

If anyone could clarify or inform me of there own experiences, it would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks ladies
                      Had an epidural and didn't feel any pain afterwards including didn't feel them give needle. Does wear off but mine lasted the distance and even after wearing off still dulled enough that didn't hurt when had to start pushing. Also I didn't tear.

Comment

Working...
                      X