A question about having a Epi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about having a Epi

I am looking for mums who have have a epi as pain relief during labour?

With my first 3 babies I went completely drug free, but I have really considered one for this time around being my last baby. I don't believe I need one for the contractions its more so for once I am pushing and he is crowning- for me the pain was 10000% worse than the actual contractions and by body would just shut down- literally.

Does the epi also help with with the shocking burning sensation?How numb will I get? Were you able to feel contractions still and know when to push?

Thanks

Subbing

Comment

I had an epidural with my first labour and didn't feel a thing. No urge to push, nothing. It was 100% numb.

Comment

I had an Epi with my 1st. I didn't feel the contractions- I could feel my belly tightening but no pain. When it came time to push, i felt like I needed to poo, and indeed felt some pain as dd1 was crowning. It wasn't unbearable though- it hurt yes but not like it did without pain relief (my other 3 have all been pain relief free births).

Me + he = dd1 (July 07), dd2 (July 10), dd3 (August 13), dd4 (due may 14)

Comment

I could feel tightening in my belly and I could feel enough to know when the contractions were coming so I could push. I didn't feel crowning

♥ him + me = ds 17/9/13 ♥

Comment

I haven't had an epi (so my apologies if I shouldn't be responding). However, with DS1 my Ob gave me a local anaesthetic not long after I started pushing - to help relax the muscles. I found that pushing was not painful, just incredibly intense, and although I felt him crowning I did not feel the ring of fire, or the two stitches that she put in after he was born.

With DS2 I had no drugs at all. I was fine until it was time to push him out, wow, that was painful! The ring of fire, just, wow.

So if an epi is not an option for whatever reason, perhaps you could ask about a local? You'll still feel everything, it just might not be quite as painful.

Comment

I had an epi because of my blood pressure but it didn't help with pain at all! I had a horrendus back labour and so much pain in my right hip. It was awful and I told my midwife that it wasn't working and she said it doesn't always work and you can get breakthrough pain. I ended up having a local anaesthetic down there and an episiotomy so I didn't feel any burning or ring of fire, I didn't even know she was out until the doctor put her on my chest LOL. I reckon if I didn't have the local I would've felt everything.

Comment

I've had epidurals with all 3 of my labours. Every time I had it turned down before I started pushing. I still felt the intense pressure and had control over my muscles, but I couldn't tell when to start pushing if it wasn't for the monitors showing my contractions starting and finishing and the coaching from my OB /middies.

Comment

I had an epi but still felt contractions and still felt crowning - I guess it just took the edge off a bit for me. I was pushing not long after it was in though (further along than they thought), so maybe it didn't have time to fully take effect?! I had a ton of stitches afterwards (episiotomy and third degree perineal tear) and didn't feel a thing at that point (though they did top up with a local).

Comment

I had the epi several hours before pushing (induced labour) with a couple of top-ups. When it came time to push, I could feel contractions as intense (but not painful) pressure, almost like a BIG poo, so I knew when to push. I ended up with a vacuum delivery, and while it wasn't painful as such, the sensations were uncomfortable. I ended up with an episiotomy and tearing (which I didn't notice happening), so was very glad of the epidural.

Comment

I had an epi with my first and had no sensation. I couldn't feel an urge to push and my pushing was guided by the midwives and ineffective so DS was ventouse.

Comment

I suggest asking about a local too.

Comment

I had an epidural near the end of labour because I needed the drip to speed things up. I loved the epi! After a long day of labour it allowed me to relax and be happy. I couldn't feel myself pushing though, which was weird. I had to just imagine I was pushing. Doc had to use vacuum in the end and I had a small stitch.

I was up and showering after an hour or so (I think...it's all a bit of a blur now but I remember it as a positive experience and will do it again next time).

Comment

I had epi. I felt slight tight feeling during contractions but no pain. I had urge to push but no pain. Didn't feel a thing during the whole thing.
                            My left side was completely numb, so it meant my positioning was limited. after I needed to be wheeled down to our room as I couldn't walk. I also needed to keep the catheter in overnight. My partner had to pick bub up and bring her to me ( advantage of private hubby could stay).

I had the epi as I was induced and my contractions were 5 to 6 every 10minutes lasting 60 sec from the beginning so I was exhausted. The epi allowed me to rest.

Comment

I had an epi at 5cm dilated - I suspect it went in skewiff because it completely numbed one half of my body (like right side from waist down) but I could still move/feel the other half. After about an hour the feelings started coming back all over even though I was topping it up as often as I could (self administering syringe thing). The Dr topped it up with a needle which numbed me again, and wore odd after an hour again.

Towards the end, I think I felt everything as if I hadn't had any pain relief. For a long time after I resented hearing about women who had no pain after their epi! That being said, my baby was posterior facing, this was an induction, he needed the vacuum to come out and I tore and grazed inside and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X