Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caesarian.. do you have a choice?

Hi all,

Forgive me for such an ignorant question, but as a public patient (no private health cover) looking to give birth to my first child in a regional victorian hospital, am I able to choose a caesarian delivery over a natural birth, even if I have no medical grounds for it?

I have been told by a friend that you don’t have a choice, but I just wanted to confirm...

Hoping that someone may be kind enough to answer my question for me.

Thank you,
    Kelsea

Generally not, in a public hospital there has to be a good reason for a caesarean, sometimes mental health grounds can be used. It can’t hurt to discuss it with your care team, but they usually don’t offer them if it’s just what you’d prefer with no other reasoning.

Comment

From my understanding, generally not unless you have a reason

Speaking from experience, having had 3 csections, which I honestly feel I recovered from well, with no post-op complications... I wouldn't recommend one lightly. At the end of the day it is major surgery. I hate feeling helpless while bedridden, having to buzz the midwives to lift my cryingbaby up to give it to me every time - and if they were busy - it might be slightly delayed. And my baby is just out of reach, crying, and I can't do anything for them ...

Comment

Caesarian.. do you have a choice?

Not that I’m aware of, but I could be wrong 🤷🏼‍♀️

I had a c section through public hospital which was elected but for medical reasons & I was seeing an OB too that worked at the hospital so she approved vs the midwife clinic.

I also second what shadow said, don’t take it lightly! The part I find the hardest is been helpless to comfort your new baby because you’re unable to move or even turn slightly to be able to pick them up and constantly having to buzz them to come in. It is a major surgery, I’ve had 2 now & sometimes wish I was able to have the vaginal delivery I hoped for with my first & be up and walking mere hours after having baby but that’s just the reality of childbirth, there is no one size fits all & you never know what will happen.

Do what is best for you but definitely consider & do research first x
        Last edited by Loh4; 19-08-2020, 17:40.

Comment

No they won’t, I wanted my tubes done through c section and they still said no,they offered it in the end because of babies size but I said No after much thought because I didn’t think it would’ve been practical with two small ones at home.

I’ve had four natural births and I’m glad I’ve never had a ceaser. Just go to hospital as soon as labour starts, stay and ask for epi straight up and you won’t feel any pain, it’s a win win as you normally don’t feel that painful after a natural birth too so i reckon that’s the best way to go if you can.

Comment

No not usually.
            I had a natural first , then elective cs but with a medical reason.
            See what they say . I would have 10 naturals over a Caesarean personally .

Comment

I’ve just had a vaginal birth after having a previous c section. The recovery is SO much better. I’d go for a natural birth if you could. And that’s advice from someone who had a pretty scary emergency with bub and I’m back in hospital with a uterus infection. I’d still opt for natural.

Comment

You will need to discuss it with your hospital as policies can vary, however as a rule public hospitals don't do elective cesarean births. Medical reasons for one can include pelvis issues, prior spinal injuries, breech baby, placenta previa or psychological reasons such as past trauma that would be triggered by a vaginal birth. That's by no means a complete list, but will give you a bit of an idea of the reasons why someone may have a "booked in" CS birth in a public hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazza78 View Post
                  No not usually.
                  I had a natural first , then elective cs but with a medical reason.
                  See what they say . I would have 10 naturals over a Caesarean personally .
                  This

I’ve had both and I prefer natural all the way so much more freedom after your delivery

Comment

Maybe one reason why they don't just book c sections unless they fit a certain criteria in the public system is they probably cost a lot more of the tax payers money. (I go public so it's not anything against people who go public).

They are probably less likely to book a first time mother for a c section straight up. Also probably depends how regional you are and their capacity to do c sections.

Comment

Not usually, you can't request surgery just because that is your choice preference there has to be means that csn be justified, a c section is major surgery with big risks involved. Private obs wont all do c sections just because you ask either, my choice preference was a c section due to long term back and hip issues, ob advised against as 1st preference but worked with me with epidural both births and medically required inductions. Given neither child ever slept or could be put down it did help with mobility afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Mamasupial View Post
                        Maybe one reason why they don't just book c sections unless they fit a certain criteria in the public system is they probably cost a lot more of the tax payers money. (I go public so it's not anything against people who go public).

They are probably less likely to book a first time mother for a c section straight up. Also probably depends how regional you are and their capacity to do c sections.
                        You're onto something with cost... *based on public*

Assuming neither mum or bub have complications pre or post birth...

I'm not in the medical field, but at some vaginal births, you may have just a midwife, and maybe have an ob pop in for delivery, or checkup afterwards. You might have an OB pop in during labour, and maybe get some pain meds, maybe an anethatist for an epidural.... but they usually put it in and leave

For a csection, you've got an anethatist, ob, midwife, other theatre staff all there with you for the duration (I can't remember but I think there's usually been 5ish people in mine) possibly a pediatrician?

after a csection you're closely monitored, I know the midwives basically sit beside you for the first however long repeatedly doing obs. I haven't had a natural so can't comment exactly.

Then there's the cost of preparation of the theatre, the different medications etc

So, a straight forward vaginal birth with minimal intervention would cost significantly less than your average csection.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
                          You're onto something with cost... *based on public*

Assuming neither mum or bub have complications pre or post birth...

I'm not in the medical field, but at some vaginal births, you may have just a midwife, and maybe have an ob pop in for delivery, or checkup afterwards. You might have an OB pop in during labour, and maybe get some pain meds, maybe an anethatist for an epidural.... but they usually put it in and leave

For a csection, you've got an anethatist, ob, midwife, other theatre staff all there with you for the duration (I can't remember but I think there's usually been 5ish people in mine) possibly a pediatrician?

after a csection you're closely monitored, I know the midwives basically sit beside you for the first however long repeatedly doing obs. I haven't had a natural so can't comment exactly.

Then there's the cost of preparation of the theatre, the different medications etc

So, a straight forward vaginal birth with minimal intervention would cost significantly less than your average csection.
                          I think I had 15 odd people in with me for ds2 and dd. I also know my private ob will not do a csec just because you ask for one. Nothing if you where to add everything up it would at least be $30k I know my bills where around $15k for hospital stay for 5 nights but obviously with phi I don’t pay any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by babybeeno1 View Post
                            I think I had 15 odd people in with me for ds2 and dd. I also know my private ob will not do a csec just because you ask for one. Nothing if you where to add everything up it would at least be $30k I know my bills where around $15k for hospital stay for 5 nights but obviously with phi I don’t pay any of that.
                            I honestly don't remember much of ds3s birth. I'm not sure still if that's good or bad.

I don't know if it's because I slept horribly the night before, or if it was the medication but I was struggling to keep my eyes open on the table. I think I must've done a tired eye roll a few times and freaked df out because I remember him startling me awake with "BABE!!! Are you ok!!!?"

Even once he was out, I struggled to stay awake. In recovery I was slightly better

Comment

Working...
                            X