This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth plans

A few weeks ago I noticed that there were a few different threads about Birth Plans and I thought it would be good to see if we can get them all in one place for future reference.

The mods have agreed to make this a sticky, so please post copies of your Birth Plans here if you are happy to share your thoughts.

Also - please ensure that you follow the rules about linking to other websites, or if you are copying a Birth PLan someone has provided to you that you have their permission etc.

And finally - if you find this information of assistance when preparing your own birth plan - please consider posting your version on here too, when it is completed, to help those that come later.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Random541; 22-03-2009, 16:01. Reason: rules and copyrights :-)

What a great idea, i hope people will post them as they are very important. I didn't have one, but i wish i did!

Comment

Great idea!!

Comment

Birth Plan for Zephani

Support People

DH Primary Support Person
        Mother Emergency Support Person ONLY IF DH MUST leave the room for his own health needs.

Introduction

We are looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. We have created this birth plan in order to outline some of our preferences for birth. DH and I have given careful consideration to each specific request in the plan, and we feel that it represents our wishes at this time. We would appreciate you reviewing this plan, and would be happy to do so with you.

In the absence of any such special circumstances, we ask that the following requests be honoured. Please note that I would like to wear my glasses at all times when conscious.

Please attach this to your records. Please make this information known to all midwives who might be attending the birth of our precious baby.
        Signed: _____________________________

Ambience
        We would prefer a quiet, soothing environment during labour, with dim lights and minimal interruptions. We would also like to use my iPod.

Please do not permit observers such as interns, students or unnecessary staff into the room without our expressed permission. To preserve our privacy and dignity, we would prefer that everyone knock before entering.

Inducement

First Stage of Labour

We request that all doctors and hospital staff will discuss each and every procedure with me and my husband (or emergency support person) before they are performed.
        We request the patience and understanding of midwives to refrain from any suggestion, practice, or procedure that could unnecessarily stand in the way of us having the most natural birth possible.
        DH (or my emergency support person) will not leave the room at anytime, please do not ask, for any reason.
        I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom as needed or desired.
        I would like to be able to eat and drink throughout labour, as desired, including remaining hydrated by drinking moderate amounts of fluids (water, juice, ice chips etc).
        Please keep vaginal exams to a minimum and request my expressed permission first.
        As long as our baby is doing well, we prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or doppler, even if the membranes have ruptured.
        We request that there be no internal monitoring unless medically necessary
        I would like to have access to the shower/bath.

Pain Relief

We wish to try for a pain free labour and birth.
        If I need to use drugs for pain relief my choice (in order) is massage, shower, gas, morphine and epidural as a last resort.
        We wish to wait for five minutes after first asking for drug relief before it is administered so I can reconsider my request.

During Birth

We request that all doctors and hospital staff will discuss each and every procedure with me and my husband (or emergency support person) before they are performed.
        We request the patience and understanding of midwives to refrain from any suggestion, practice, or procedure that could unnecessarily stand in the way of us having the most natural birth possible.
        When I am fully dilated, and assuming our baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
        I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like.
        I would appreciate help from DH (or my emergency support person) and staff in supporting my legs as I push.
        I would prefer to tear naturally instead of having an episiotomy.

Caesarean Section Delivery

I would like DH (or my emergency support person) to be present during the surgery.
        I would prefer an epidural for the procedure.
        I would prefer general anaesthesia in an emergency only.
        We would like to have a respectful atmosphere without chatter during any part of the surgical procedure.
        If possible, I would like to breastfeed our baby immediately after the birth. If this impossible, our baby should be given to DH (or my emergency support person) immediately after the birth.
        If our baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, DH will accompany our baby at all times and my emergency support person will stay with me.

After the birth

We request immediate skin-to-skin contact, with our baby to be placed to the breast (if the cord length allows)
        I would like to breastfeed our baby immediately
        I would like to hold our baby through delivery of the placenta and any repair procedures.
        After our baby is breastfeed it is to be handed to DH (or my emergency support person).
        Please wrap our baby before handing it to DH.
        Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.
        Please administer local anaesthesia when repairing any episiotomy or tear(s).
        I give my permission for an injection of Oxytocin to be administered to assist with the delivery of the placenta and the contraction of the uterus.

Newborn Care
        If possible, please evaluate our baby on my abdomen. Otherwise please evaluate our baby at my bedside.
        We agree to all routine tests and examinations performed on our baby, including Vitamin K and Hep B injections, APGAR and newborn bloodspot screening, and have signed forms to this effect.
        If our baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, DH will accompany our baby at all times and my emergency support person will stay with me.
        Please do not give our baby a dummy.

Postpartum Care

I would like to have our baby in the room with me at all times.
        We would like permission for access to my chart and our baby's chart.

Breastfeeding
        I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.
        Please do not give our baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without our consent, unless there is an urgent medical necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by zephani View Post
          Birth Plan for Zephani
          I just posted my birth plan. As you can see it is quite long and I'm still pregnant so I can't tell you how it went or anything, but my midwife has read it and said that it is very thorough and readable. Tell me what you think!

Comment

this was mine for an attempted VBAC, but i will prob have to have a section as things havent gone to plan
            ok see what u think and i can edit if needed. do u want me to print them an drop them round or will u print them. also if you decide to use a doula don't tell ur ob if he asks who will be there just say a 'friend' an partner they don't like doulas just a heads up if u decide to have one. hope all is well an it hasn't been to hot for you take care feet up an rest well try any way haha take care

Tracy Burgess birth plan

1st stage:
            birth partner(s):____________________

*induction only if needed no less then 10 days over due.
            *free to move around during labor
            *free to eat an drink when wanted.
            *fhr monitoring only if medically needed, preferably portable monitoring.
            *vaginal examinations if needed
            *pain relief negotiable at the time no epidural
            * no drip

2nd stage
            *free to birth in any positions
            *episiotemy if needed ask first
            *pushing when body feels ready
            *forceps and suction delivery only if needed and all other positions fail, ask first.

3rd stage

*assistance in 3rd stage only if needed ask first
            *skin to skin contact immediately after birth
            *partner cut cord
            *cord cut when mother feels needed
            *1st feed, breast when necessary

postnatal care

*vitamin k yes
            *hep b yes
            *baby left with mother as long as possible before drugs administered
            *if complications occur with baby partner is to be present with treatment were possible
            *rooming in at all times unless stated other wise at the time.
            REQUESTS IF SECTION NEEDED* screen to be lowered so can see baby born* skin to skin contact as long as nothing wrong with baby* breastfeed if possible while being stitched up * partner to remain with baby when not with me

Comment

Wow - thanks for all the replies and support. I'm sure lots of women will find this information useful!

Zephani - great detail in your BP - I hope it all goes well for you and look forward to hearing your outcome!

Keep 'em coming ladies

Comment

Here is a birth plan I helped a "mum' with for her VBAC. Her VBAC was successful though it came at a very high cost.

My Care providers
                I would prefer a midwife in attendance that I am already familiar with. This includes ****** or another midwife from the group practice. Also if a student midwife that I am familiar with is available he/she is welcome to attend and stay during the labour unless I ask them to leave for personal reasons that I cannot foresee at this present time. For medical reasons they may stay.

People in attendance during my labor and Birth
                I would like my doula ******* to be present during my labour and birth. I would also like my mother ******, the baby’s father ***** and my best friend ******* to have access to enter the room when requested. I am aware of limitations on the amount of people allowed to attend during the labour and birth process however if it is at all possible for the attending midwife to ‘stretch’ the rules slightly to allow these people to be available I would be extremely grateful.

Birth room attitudes
                After a traumatic birth of my first child, I would like the environment to be as relaxing and reassuring as possible. As I will be attempting a VBAC, I believe any stress I feel will further inhibit my plan of a vaginal delivery.
                I ask that midwives do not ask me directly if I would like pain relief. If it seems it is needed please speak to my doula or my mother as we have spoken about alternatives to pain medications and what to do if the situation of me needing pain relief arises.
                I would prefer to have information regarding my progress delivered to me a positive manner. Statements such as ''If this hasn't happened in 30 minutes, we will do this" I believe are unhelpful and in turn could result in me feeling as if I haven’t ‘performed’, which may also put unnecessary stress on myself and stop my body from performing the way it is intended.

Location of Birth
                I have chosen to birth in the ******. I am aware that I am on a waiting list for a room in the *******. If a ******** room is available then I would prefer to birth in there as I believe the surroundings will enable me to relax and be more comfortable with my labour and delivery and hence make a VBAC likely. I also believe that the bath will be of great use to me for pain relief. If I have to give birth in the delivery suite I am happy to do so, but will ask if it is available that I am able to use Room *** as I understand it has a bath.

Items I want to bring with me
                I would like to be able to listen to music while I am in labour as I believe this will help me relax. I would also like to bring in small items such as massage oils, soap bars and other items that I believe will benefit my labour process.

Vaginal examinations
                I am happy to have as many vaginal examinations as medically required. If I request a vaginal examination for personal reasons I would like this request to be fulfilled if time and staff arrangements allow so. I believe this will give me something to focus on during my labour.

Rupture of membranes
                I am happy for my membranes to be ruptured for medical reasons. But I am also aware that this may inhibit my chances of a successful VBAC so I ask that this be done only if there is no other alternative.

Pain Relief
                I would like access to morphine and the nitrous oxide if needed. I do not want pethidine as it as it has previously caused me to hallucinate.
                I am open to using sterile water injections for back pain and also PCA Remifentanil.
                If I request pain relief I would like to wait at least three contractions before it is administered as this time will serve as a distraction and I may then be able to avoid using it.

Foetal monitoring
                I would prefer to be active, upright, using the bath and other labour tools. I am happy to have intermittent monitoring every 15 minutes or so by the attending midwives.

Positions during pushing
                I would prefer to kneel or squat while I am pushing. I would also like to be able to change my position if I feel it is necessary or if I am uncomfortable. My last resort of position will be laying transverse with my legs in stirrups. I believe this creates a smaller pelvic region and will inhibit my chances of a successful VBAC

Talking to me and directing my pushing
                I am open to any and all suggestions for pushing from the midwifery staff, obstetrician and doula.

Episiotomy
                I am open to an episiotomy for medical reasons and if it will be enhance my chances of a successful VBAC.

Induction of Labour
                I would like to avoid the use of Syntocinon or any other medical induction unless medically required. I would like to avoid anything that may inhibit my chances of a VBAC.
                I am happy, however, to receive Syntocinon for the third stage of labour if it will reduce my chances of another post partum haemorrhage.

My baby immediately following birth
                I request that the baby's father cut the cord unless he is unavailable. I would then like my mother to cut the umbilical cord.
                I would also like as much skin-to-skin contact after the baby is born and to be left to bond with my baby as soon as possible following the birth.

Baby injections: Vitamin K and Hepatitis
                I would like my baby to receive all injections that are recommended.

Separation of my baby from me
                It is important for me to not be separated from my baby at all if possible.

My Flexibility
                My birth plan and outlook is quite flexible if there are medical reasons for any change. Also, if things are explained to either my doula or mother then I am happy for changes if needed.

If I need a vacuum delivery
                I am happy for a ventouse delivery if it means the difference between a VBAC or a Caesarean.

Forceps
                I am happy for a forceps delivery if medically necessary and to improve my chances of having a VBAC.

If I need a Caesarean Delivery
                Ultimately I would like to have a VBAC. If for medical reasons I need a Caesarean then I would like my mother or ***** to attend with me.
                I would like to be awake for the procedure unless medical reasons prevent this.
                I would like still photographs to be taken of the baby being cleaned and weighed and of my first contact with the baby.
                I would like for my baby to remain in Theatre with me and for me to have skin to skin contact with my baby. I would also like my baby to come with me to recovery.
                I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible after her birth.

As you can see from my birth plan it is extremely important to me to have a VBAC. I would like to try everything possible to achieve this. I will have done plenty of preparation during my pregnancy, however I may still need the direction of my caregivers to help me achieve my desired birth.
                Thank you for taking the time to read my birth plan.

Comment

This was mine for my homebirth earlier on this year. It's based on the proforma contained in the Mongan Method Hypnobirthing program. My midwives loved it, and it worked out exactly as I had planned.

Our Birthing Preferences
                  During Thinning and Opening Phase of Labour
                  During Birth
                  After the birth
                  For Baby

Comment

Not sure if I can post this, but I have been looking on a few american based websites and came across this 'checklist' type birth plan .. i think it simplifies things and sort of works as a checklist for the mamas who havent thought/won't be doing a birth plan

(obviously some things aren't relevant to aussie births)

[ ] Full name:

[ ] Partner’s name:
                    [ ] Today’s date:
                    [ ] Due date: OR Induction date:
                    [ ] Hospital name:

Please note that I:
                    [ ] Have group B strep
                    [ ] Am Rh incompatibility with baby
                    [ ] Have gestational diabetes
                    My delivery is planned as:
                    [ ] Vaginal
                    [ ] C-section
                    [ ] Water birth
                    [ ] VBAC

I’d like…:
                    [ ] Partner:
                    [ ] Parents:
                    [ ] Other children:
                    [ ] Doula:
                    [ ] Other:
                    …present before AND/OR during labor

During labor, I’d like:
                    [ ] Music played (I will provide)
                    [ ] The lights dimmed
                    [ ] The room as quiet as possible
                    [ ] As few interruptions as possible
                    [ ] As few vaginal exams as possible
                    [ ] Hospital staff limited to my own doctor and nurses (no students, residents or interns present)
                    [ ] To wear my own clothes
                    [ ] To wear my contact lens the entire time
                    [ ] My partner to film AND/OR take pictures
                    [ ] My partner to be present the entire time
                    [ ] To stay hydrated with clear liquids and ice chips
                    [ ] To eat and drink as approved by my doctor
                    I’d like to spend the first stage of labor:
                    [ ] Standing up
                    [ ] Lying down
                    [ ] Walking around
                    [ ] In the shower
                    [ ] In the bathtub
                    I'm not interested in
                    [ ] An enema
                    [ ] Shaving of my pubic area
                    [ ] A urinary catheter
                    [ ] An IV, unless I’m dehydrated (and a heparin or saline lock IS/IS NOT ok)
                    I’d like fetal monitoring to be:
                    [ ] Continuous
                    [ ] Intermittent
                    [ ] Internal
                    [ ] External
                    [ ] Performed only by Doppler
                    [ ] Performed only if the baby is in distress
                    I’d like labor augmentation:
                    [ ] Performed only if baby is in distress
                    [ ] First attempted by natural methods such as nipple stimulation
                    [ ] Performed by membrane stripping
                    [ ] Performed with prostaglandin gel
                    [ ] Performed with Pitocin
                    [ ] Performed by stripping of the membrane
                    [ ] Never to include an artificial rupture of the membrane
                    For pain relief, I’d like to use:
                    [ ] Acupressure
                    [ ] Acupuncture
                    [ ] Breathing techniques
                    [ ] Cold therapy
                    [ ] Demerol
                    [ ] Distraction
                    [ ] Hot therapy
                    [ ] Hypnosis
                    [ ] Massage
                    [ ] Meditation
                    [ ] Reflexology
                    [ ] Standard epidural
                    [ ] TENS
                    [ ] Walking epidural
                    [ ] Nothing
                    [ ] Only what I request at the time
                    [ ] Whatever is suggested at the time
                    During delivery, I would like to:
                    [ ] Squat
                    [ ] Semi-reline
                    [ ] Lie on my side
                    [ ] Be on my hands and knees
                    [ ] Stand
                    [ ] Lean on my partner
                    [ ] Use people for leg support
                    [ ] Use foot pedals for support
                    [ ] Use a birth bar for support
                    [ ] Use a birthing stool
                    [ ] Be in a birthing tub
                    [ ] Be in the shower
                    I will bring a:
                    [ ] Birthing stool
                    [ ] Birthing chair
                    [ ] Squatting bar
                    [ ] Birthing tub
                    As the baby is delivered, I would like to:
                    [ ] Push spontaneously
                    [ ] Push as directed
                    [ ] Push without time limits, as long as the baby and I are not at risk
                    [ ] Use a mirror to see the baby crown
                    [ ] Touch the head as it crowns
                    [ ] Let the epidural wear off while pushing
                    [ ] Have a full dose of epidural
                    [ ] Avoid forceps usage
                    [ ] Avoid vacuum extraction
                    [ ] Use whatever methods my doctor deems necessary
                    [ ] Help catch the baby
                    [ ] Let my partner catch the baby
                    [ ] Let my partner suction the baby
                    I would like an episiotomy:
                    [ ] Used only after perineal massage, warm compresses and positioning
                    [ ] Rather than risk a tear
                    [ ] Not performed, even if it means risking a tear
                    [ ] Performed only as a last resort
                    [ ] Performed as my doctor deems necessary
                    [ ] Performed with local anesthesia
                    [ ] Performed by pressure, without local anesthesia
                    [ ] Followed by local anesthesia for the repair
                    Immediately after delivery, I would like:
                    [ ] My partner to cut the umbilical cord
                    [ ] The umbilical cord to be cut only after it stops pulsating
                    [ ] To bank the cord blood
                    [ ] To donate the cord blood
                    [ ] To deliver the placenta spontaneously and without assistance
                    [ ] To see the placenta before it is discarded
                    [ ] Not to be given Pitocin/oxytocin
                    If a C-section is necessary, I would like:
                    [ ] A second opinion
                    [ ] To make sure all other options have been exhausted
                    [ ] To stay conscious
                    [ ] My partner to remain with my the entire time
                    [ ] The screen lowered so I can watch baby come out
                    [ ] My hands left free so I can touch the baby
                    [ ] The surgery explained as it happens
                    [ ] An epidural for anesthesia
                    [ ] My partner to hold the baby as soon as possible
                    [ ] To breastfeed in the recovery room
                    I would like to hold baby:
                    [ ] Immediately after delivery
                    [ ] After suctioning
                    [ ] After weighing
                    [ ] After being wiped clean and swaddled
                    [ ] Before eye drops/ointment are given
                    I would like to breastfeed:
                    [ ] As soon as possible after delivery
                    [ ] Before eye drops/ointment are given
                    [ ] Later
                    [ ] Never

I’d like my family members(NAMES):
                    [ ] To join me and baby immediately after delivery
                    [ ] To join me and baby in the room later
                    [ ] Only to see baby in the nursery
                    [ ] To have unlimited visiting after birth
                    I’d like baby’s medical exam and procedures:
                    [ ] Given in my presence
                    [ ] Given only after we’ve bonded
                    [ ] Given in my partner’s presence
                    [ ] To include a heel stick for screening tests beyond the PKU
                    [ ] To include a hearing screening test
                    [ ] To include a hepatitis B vaccine
                    Please don’t give baby:
                    [ ] Vitamin K
                    [ ] Antibiotic eye treatment
                    [ ] Sugar water
                    [ ] Formula
                    [ ] A pacifier
                    I’d like baby’s first bath given:
                    [ ] In my presence
                    [ ] In my partner’s presence
                    [ ] By me
                    [ ] By my partner
                    I’d like to feed baby:
                    [ ] Only with breastmilk
                    [ ] Only with formula
                    [ ] On demand
                    [ ] On schedule
                    [ ] With the help of a lactation specialist
                    I’d like baby to stay in my room:
                    [ ] All the time
                    [ ] During the day
                    [ ] Only when I’m awake
                    [ ] Only for feeding
                    [ ] Only when I request
                    I’d like my partner:
                    [ ] To have unlimited visiting
                    [ ] To sleep in my room
                    If we have a boy, circumcision should:
                    [ ] Be performed
                    [ ] Not be performed
                    [ ] Be performed later
                    [ ] Be performed with anesthesia
                    [ ] Be performed in the presence of me AND/OR my partner
                    As needed post-delivery, please give me:
                    [ ] Extra-strength acetaminophen
                    [ ] Percoset
                    [ ] Stool softener
                    [ ] Laxative
                    After birth, I’d like to stay in the hospital:
                    [ ] As long as possible
                    [ ] As briefly as possible
                    If baby is not well, I’d like
                    [ ] My partner and I to accompany it to the NICU or another facility
                    [ ] To breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk
                    [ ] To hold him or her whenever possible
                    Last edited by kel87; 20-03-2009, 21:01. Reason: copy&paste didnt work!

Comment

Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 09-12-2010, 10:46.

Comment

My birth plans have always been very simple.

Only my DH was to attend.
                        What's best for baby first.
                        avoid a c/s if possible.
                        pain relief... gas if needed.
                        to remain active if possible.
                        skin to skin contact at birth and to breastfeed as soon as baby was ready.
                        Just to go with the flow as all my births were very different.

So far this has worked well for me. I had 5 great hospital births.

Comment

I have two birth plans... one for home birth, and one for if we need hospital transfer. Here's the home birth one...

HOME BIRTH PLAN

Preferences
                          • DP’s role is to provide emotional and physical support and to “guard the den”.
                          • Doula's role is to provide emotional, physical and practical support to both myself and Richard.
                          • Midwife’s role is to remain in the background as much as possible, taking obs to check on the baby's and my safety, but otherwise not getting involved unless I request otherwise or there are safety concerns.
                          • I would like someone to record my labour on paper as it progresses, not just including times etc but more like a journal.
                          • Photos are fine, but from a suitable distance.
                          • Please assist DP in making sure we are not disturbed by visitors or phone calls.

Labour
                          • I prefer not to have any vaginal examinations unless there appears to be a problem. I do not need to know how dilated I am.
                          • Please be aware of my personal space, and do not get within my breathing space without permission or approach me from behind without warning.
                          • During second stage please hold any conversations out of my ear shot.
                          • Please make sure snacks and drinks are within reach.
                          • Can DP and/or Doula please keep my hair back off my face by smoothing it back with a cold damp cloth at regular intervals.
                          • Please offer me Bushflower Essence if I am becoming distressed.
                          • If I become distressed at transition, please remind me I’m in transition.

Birth
                          • I would like DP or myself to 'catch' the baby.
                          • Nobody is to announce the sex of our baby to either DP or myself.
                          • We will leave the cord attached as long as possible before cutting.
                          • We will be guided by midwife if I appear to be bleeding too much.

Post Natal Period
                          • Please remind me to drink some Citravescent!
                          • We decline both the Vit K injection and the HEP B immunisation.
                          Last edited by NonnyMouse; 25-03-2009, 10:58.

Comment

And here's the hospital transfer one. In case you're wondering why there's no mention of nice atmosphere, pain relief etc, it's because if I need transfer it will be an emergency, not just because I'm in labour.

HOSPITAL BIRTH PLAN

DP and I reserve our right to take some time alone to discuss any treatments or interventions recommended before giving you our permission or refusal. However, our general preferences are as follows:

Labour and Birth:

Care of the Perineum:
                            • I would rather tear naturally than have an episiotomy.
                            • I would prefer to avoid having stitches if possible, so if you think any tear will heal of its own accord, without stitches, please let me know.

Third Stage:
                            • I would like a fully natural third stage, allowing the placenta to arrive in its own time and with the cord left attached. I wish no drugs to be used unless specifically indicated. It is important to me that you do not cut or clamp the cord unless you need to take emergency steps which preclude this. I do not wish drugs to be offered to speed up this process.
                            • Do not cut the cord

If there are problems after the birth:
                            • Do not take baby away from me if he/she needs resuscitation. Please have the equipment near the bed ready for use.
                            • Please do not admit baby to Special Care simply for observation, but only if there is a specific reason for concern.

Care of the baby:
                            • We decline the Hep B immunisation.
                            • We decline

Baby Feeding:
                            • I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible after the birth
                            • Please do not give my baby supplements of glucose water or formula without my permission.
                            • Baby is not to have a bottle. If feeds are required in hospital and I cannot breastfeed we prefer to use expressed colostrum fed from a spoon or syringe.

Going Home
                            • I would like to go home as soon after the birth as I am able to move, unless I or the baby have health problems which require hospital treatment.
                            Last edited by NonnyMouse; 25-03-2009, 10:27.

Comment

What a great idea.
                              I will post both of mine as I have a detailed and short one for quick reference.

Birth Plan for Leonie Potter,

As this is a planned VBA2C birth, we are hoping to achieve an active, positive and natural birth. We have listed our preferences below, these decisions have been made after much research, consultation and thought, your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.
                              It is my ideal to give birth vaginally, with as little medical intervention as possible.
                              I do not wish to have any time limits placed on any stage of my labour. My mother took 22 hrs to birth me so I do not expect a quick labour.
                              This birth plan is assuming my labour does not encounter any problems - if it does not, we are flexible about deviating from the plan if it is medically necessary, but we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.

First stage of Labour:
                              * I do not wish to automatically have a drip inserted. I will consent to one later if needed.
                              * I want to free to move as much as I like during labour. This includes walking, yoga poses and showering.
                              * I would like to be free to eat and drink as I feel that I need to during labour. I understand that this is a higher risk labour so agree to make easily digestible food choices should I feel the need to eat.
                              * I do not wish to have anyone else in the room other than James, my birthing assistant and the Midwife unless complications ocurr.
                              * I would appreciate advice on positioning and breathing techniques but request the right to choose what I use and don't.

Fetal Monitering:
                              * I do not wish to be hooked up to a fetal moniter as the belt will restrict my ability to move.
                              * I would prefer to have the fetal heart rate monitered by a hand held device as often as required.

Labour Augmentation:
                              * I do not consent to any labour Augmenting Drugs.
                              * I will allow my mebranes to be ruptured with prior discussion.
                              * I want to be free to drink Red Rasberry leaf tea.
                              * I want to be offered natural methods of labour augmentation if required.ie nipple stimulation, position change.

Pain Relief:
                              * I do not wish to be offered pain relief, I will ask for what I want as I need it.
                              * If I ask for pain relief please check if I am entering transition and if so allow me to re-evaluate.
                              Second Stage of Labour:
                              * I want to be free to direct my own labour ie. be free to change position, push when I feel I need to.
                              * James would like to 'catch' the baby.

Third Stage of Labour:
                              * I do not wish to be given any drugs to assist with the delivery of the placenta.
                              Immediately after Delivery:
                              * If possible I want the baby to be photographed with a clock in the background ASAP after delivery to show time of birth.
                              * I want the baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery and use my body and a blanket to warm the baby.
                              * James will cut the chord when it has stopped pulsating as this will ensure the baby has optimal blood transferred back into it's body.
                              * I want to be asked if I am ready for my baby to be assessed and want this done with James and I present
                              * I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.
                              Post-Partum:
                              * I would like a bed next to the window if possible, preferrably not next to the bathroom.
                              * I will have my baby with me at all times.
                              In the event of requiring a Ceasarean:
                              * If a ceasarean is suggested I would like a second opinion wherever possible.
                              * I want a spinal block/epidural and not general anaesthetic.
                              * I wish for the naked baby to be placed on my chest immediately after birth.
                              * I would like my placenta removed by controlled chord retraction rather than manually to reduce the risks of bleeding and infection.
                              * If possible I want James and the Baby with me in recovery.
                              * I do not want for any family or friends to see the baby until I am out of recovery.

Birth plan for Leonie Potter
                              In the event of variation to the birth plan we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.
                              I do not wish to have any time limits placed on any stage of my labour.
                              First stage of Labour
                              • I don't wish for a drip to be put in until needed.
                              • I want to be free to move.
                              • I want to be free to eat and drink.
                              • I do not wish for anyone other than James and the Midwife to be in the room unless complications occurr.
                              • I would appreciate advice on positioning and breathing techniques.
                              • I do not wish to be hooked up a fetal moniter.
                              • I do not consent to any labour Augmenting drugs.
                              • Please offer Natural methods of labour augmentation if any is required.
                              • I do not wish to be offered pain relief.
                              • If I request pain relief, please check if I am entering transition and if so allow me to re-evaluate.
                              Second stage of Labour
                              • Please allow me to direct my labour.
                              • James will 'catch' the baby.
                              • James will cut the chord when it has stopped pulsating

Third Stage of Labour
                              • I do not wish to have any drug to asist with birthing the placenta

Immediately after Delivery:
                              • If possible I want the baby to be photographed with a clock in the background ASAP after delivery to show time of birth.
                              • I want the baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery and use my body and a blanket to warm the baby.
                              • I want to be asked if I am ready for my baby to be assessed and want this done with James and I present
                              • I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.

Comment

Working...
                              X