Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my Obs would advise me to find another obs if I wrote a birth plan like that... I am not sure he would even feel comfortable with me writing one at all. Is anyone else experiencing that their Ob does not like birth plans?

Comment

I get the impression that most OBs would prefer women not to have a birth plan, as it indicates that they actually might have some idea about their options and won't be blindly led into being subjected to unnecessary intervention. In which case - all the more reason to have a birth plan, or at least have the discussion with your OB. It is better to get your opinion/desires out in the open now, before you are in the throws of labour and unable to make an informed choice. If you can't discuss important aspects of your birth with your OB now, what say are you going to have when you are in labour.

If you are happy to go along with anything and everything they say, then don't do anything. But if you have preferences for letting nature take its course, delayed cord clamping, Vit K etc - you need to discuss it now.

Also - it doesn't have to be as detailed as some of the PPs - but if you have some particularly strong feelings about specific issues I would at least consider discussing them with your OB and writing them down.

Comment

Originally posted by clucky77 View Post
        I think my Obs would advise me to find another obs if I wrote a birth plan like that... I am not sure he would even feel comfortable with me writing one at all.

Wow. That's really sad.

Comment

Thank you so much for this thread!! I have thought about doing a Birth Plan but hadn't really known what to put in it. I was going to do some research into them, and probably still will but this has definitely given me something to think about.

Comment

Birth Plan

-L*** is my support person, no one else is to be in the room, other family members can wait in the waiting room down the hall.
            -Please do not permit observers such as students into the room without our expressed permission.
            -I am keen to use the shower/bath to help with contractions
            -I would also like to try the Gas before anything else
            -Cesarean is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
            -L*** is to cut the cord
            -Baby can be put onto my chest straight away.
            -I plan on breast feeding bub.

What do you think of this?? I am not to concerned on how it happens. What ever is best for me and bub. But there were a few things that we wanted.
            Feed back would be great!

Comment

Thought I'd add that at my ante natal class, we were advised to keep the birth plan as short and to the point as possible. Midwives only want to know the basic info so a short list of bullet points about each stage are strongly preferred rather than a beautifully worded essay!

HTH

Comment

I found this thread helpful, so here's my birth plan (first draft, and still have 11 weeks to go, but I'm pretty happy with it).

If all goes well...

During Labour
                Partner present
                Music played
                Lights dimmed
                To eat and drink
                Intermittent Fetal Monitoring : by use of Doppler

First Stage
                In the bath/ shower, or
                Walking around, or
                Using birth ball

Pain Relief
                Bath/shower
                Massage
                Distraction
                Attempt drug-free (will try gas if need)
                Do NOT want epidural

Birthing Positions
                Squating, or
                Kneeling, or
                Hands and knees
                (If I am in the bath when the head crowns, the water can be drained to prevent my needing to get out to birth)

InterventionsPrefer to tear than have episiotomy
                Avoid assisted delivery unless medically necessary
                Avoid c-section unless medically necessary

After Delivery
                Partner to cut cord
                Skin to skin contact and breastfeed immediately
                Assisted third stage
                Local anaesthetic for any repairs

Newborn care
                Allow vernix to be absorbed onto baby’s skin; delay ‘cleaning’ or ‘rubbing’
                Weighing/ measuring/ assessing done in our presence
                We decline the HepB immunisation
                We consent to VitK and routine screening

Unexpected situations...

Induction
                Only if medically necessary
                Gel first- attempt to encourage labour through remaining upright and walking
                Drip increased gradually, only if necessary
                Rupturing of membranes only as very last resort

C-Section
                Only if medically necessary and as last resort
                Partner to be present
                Same “After Delivery” requests as listed above
                In case of emergency caesarean, baby to be given to partner

If Baby is Unwell
                My partner (and I, if possible) to accompany him to the NICU or another facility
                To breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk
                To hold him whenever possible
                Last edited by Lukie; 21-04-2009, 10:34. Reason: Editing format

Comment

Very helpful Kel! Some of us actually WANT those interventions so its nice when they're included in a checklist.

BTW demerol on the list of pain relief options is the american term for pethidine.
                  Last edited by Mischief; 23-04-2009, 08:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilwarrior View Post
                    Birth Plan

-L*** is my support person, no one else is to be in the room, other family members can wait in the waiting room down the hall.
                    -Please do not permit observers such as students into the room without our expressed permission.
                    -I am keen to use the shower/bath to help with contractions
                    -I would also like to try the Gas before anything else
                    -Cesarean is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
                    -L*** is to cut the cord
                    -Baby can be put onto my chest straight away.
                    -I plan on breast feeding bub.

What do you think of this?? I am not to concerned on how it happens. What ever is best for me and bub. But there were a few things that we wanted.
                    Feed back would be great!

I think it's good- I think I will write something very light like this too as a detailed one (one of my friends had 5 pages!!!) would put my obs off!

Comment

Hey girls,

As a Doula I have a lot of experience with birth plans. Go over your choices of pain relief, when to go to hospital, induction, support people, birthing positions etc with your partner and support people thoroughly. Maybe take notes for reference but do not take long winded birth plans to the hospital! Sorry but I don't think they will be read nearly as thoroughly as a one page concise birth plan. Make the font at least 14 and have a couple of copies. As it is often late make it easy to read.

Give one to the midwife when you are admitted and ask that it be attached to your notes. If there is a change of shift while you are in labour make sure your support people check with the oncoming midwife that she has read your birth plan, if she hasn't give her another copy, no point getting upset if the original goes missing.

Good luck

Comment

Comment

Here's mine. Would love some feedback :

BIRTH PLAN FOR HAYDEN!

People in attendance during my Labour and Birth
                          -I’d like my husband Rob to be present at all times
                          -No one else is to be present except for our obstetricians & midwives, and my music!
                          Inducement
                          -I’d like to give birth when my body is ready to do so on it’s own.
                          -I would like to avoid the use of any medical induction unless medically required – Including Syntocinon drip, Stretch and Sweep, Gels, rupture of membranes etc.
                          -If my pregnancy progresses past 40 weeks, we would prefer to base the decision to induce on our baby’s health and safety, not on my own personal discomfort or impatience.
                          First Stage of Labour
                          -I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom/shower as needed or desired.
                          Pain Relief
                          -I do not wish to be offered any drugs for pain relief. I am quite certain that gas will make me vomit and Pethadine will make me high. I would like to avoid both of these things!
                          -I will consent to an epidural ONLY IF labour goes on for a crazy long time and I am REALLY struggling.
                          -I would prefer to use the shower, heat packs and position changing as my only form of pain relief
                          Foetal monitoring
                          -I would prefer to have the foetal heart rate monitored by a hand held device as often as required. I’d rather not be tied down at any stage as I’d like to be able to move around.
                          During Birth
                          -I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like, preferably standing or kneeling so that gravity can help!
                          Immediately Following Hayden’s Birth
                          -I would like my baby placed directly onto my chest immediately after birth.
                          -Rob may or may not like to cut the chord (he’s undecided!)
                          -I would like as much skin-to-skin contact after he is born and time to bond with him and breastfeed him.
                          -I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.
                          -I consent to an injection of Syntocinon to aid in birthing the placenta
                          Newborn Care
                          -Rob and I would both like to be present when Hayden is Assessed
                          -We agree to all routine tests and examinations performed on our baby, including Vitamin K and Hep B injections, APGAR and newborn bloodspot screening.
                          -If Hayden must be taken away for evaluation or medical treatment, Rob will accompany him at all times.
                          Feeding
                          -I plan to breastfeed and would like to nurse immediately following the birth.
                          In the unfortunate event of requiring an Emergency Caesarean
                          -I’d like a spinal block or epidural NOT general anaesthetic.
                          -I wish for Rob to be present during the surgery
                          -After Hayden’s delivery, I would like him placed immediately on my chest and be allowed time to bond with him and feed him while I am being stitched.
                          -If possible I would like Hayden and Rob to both be with me during recovery.
                          -If Hayden must be taken away for assessment or monitoring while I am in recovery, I’d like Rob to remain with him at all times

This is our ideal birth plan (Minus the Caesarean), but as we realise things don’t always go to plan, we are open to any changes that may need to be made as we go along.

Most importantly, I want to be able to bond with my baby immediately after he is born, regardless of how that birth may happen. This is the most important thing to me.
                          Last edited by CazHazKidz; 24-06-2010, 04:03.
                          DS1 – 10, DD1 – 9, DS2 – 7, DS3 - 4

Comment

i was eagerly looking for this kind of discussion, thanks to you all guys for sharing your views here. Thanks agains. keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukie View Post

If all goes well...

During Labour
                              Partner present
                              Music played
                              Lights dimmed
                              To eat and drink
                              Intermittent Fetal Monitoring : by use of Doppler

First Stage
                              In the bath/ shower, or
                              Walking around, or
                              Using birth ball

Pain Relief
                              Bath/shower
                              Massage
                              Distraction
                              Attempt drug-free (will try gas if need)
                              Do NOT want epidural

Birthing Positions
                              Squating, or
                              Kneeling, or
                              Hands and knees
                              (If I am in the bath when the head crowns, the water can be drained to prevent my needing to get out to birth)

Interventions
                              Prefer to tear than have episiotomy
                              Avoid assisted delivery unless medically necessary
                              Avoid c-section unless medically necessary

After Delivery
                              Partner to cut cord
                              Skin to skin contact and breastfeed immediately
                              Assisted third stage
                              Local anaesthetic for any repairs

Newborn care
                              Allow vernix to be absorbed onto baby’s skin; delay ‘cleaning’ or ‘rubbing’
                              Weighing/ measuring/ assessing done in our presence
                              We decline the HepB immunisation
                              We consent to VitK and routine screening

Unexpected situations...

Induction
                              Only if medically necessary
                              Gel first- attempt to encourage labour through remaining upright and walking
                              Drip increased gradually, only if necessary
                              Rupturing of membranes only as very last resort

C-Section
                              Only if medically necessary and as last resort
                              Partner to be present
                              Same “After Delivery” requests as listed above
                              In case of emergency caesarean, baby to be given to partner

If Baby is Unwell
                              My partner (and I, if possible) to accompany him to the NICU or another facility
                              To breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk
                              To hold him whenever possible

I think this is the best one I've ever read.

To be honest, I am not adverse to intervention or pain relief and my care is through an OB who we have planned intervention with.

In saying that, it is clear you have an open mind and sensible views on how things should progress and what you'd like to experience.

Well done mate - my mother is a midwife and I can tell you those that have a lovely 2 page essay don't get them read - far better to have bullet points that is easily referenced during the labour and birth.

Also best to know what you want so that you can assert yourself in labour, but be open minded enough to know sometimes things don't go to plan and if you aren't prepared, can set you up for depression etc.

Anyway, thought I'd just let you know I thought this was brilliant and it has inspired me to follow suit and create one to take to my next OB appointment

Comment

i wish i had properly prepared my birth plan. i think it would've relieved the stress early on to have something in mind and planned before ds was born.

i think they should give a informal plan to first time mums so they can ask questions and prepare their own (at least they can advise you how they want it prepared), my ob didn't share anything with me about epis or monitoring or anything. in the end i had to ask what he was doing!?

i didn't know what questions to ask, and my support people (dp and mum) were more amazed or passing out (dp) than actually helping me and/or understand what was going on.

i'll never forget dp sitting with his legs up to his chest on a chair holding a pillow and a glass of water just because he had passed out!! i love him very much but he was useless after that! hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X