Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Government Birth Trend Figures

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Latest Government Birth Trend Figures

    The government have just published a Press Release on stats on 2005 births (the most recent to be fully analysed).

    It makes interesting reading and is sure to start some controversial discussions in here. The full report can be viewed here.

    In the meantime, here are some interesting quotes:

    The rise in caesarean sections also continued in 2005, with 30.3% of women giving birth by caesarean section, compared with 19.5% in 1996.

    Women giving birth in private hospitals reported higher rates of caesarean sections.

    Of women who had previously had a caesarean section, the majority (83.2%) had another caesarean section.

    The likelihood of interventions such as induction of labour, instrumental delivery or caesarean section increased with socioeconomic advantage.

    Other findings include:
    • 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during pregnancy
    • 8.1% of all babies born in 2005 were preterm (less than 37 weeks gestation)

  • #2
    I've seen a couple of TV reports on this today and in both of them it was stated that "up to 30% percent of women are choosing to give birth by caesarean section".

    The ranting in my house could be heard in Melbourne probably

    I knew the c/s rate is hovering around 30% but I did NOT know that it has almost doubled since 1996. That's only 10 years. Absolutely horrifying really

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd like to have the "choosing" part clarified in that report.

      I could chose to birth my baby by c/s for lots of reasons.

      I could have chosen a c/s birth because of the evidence that my Ob presented me with. I could have chosen a c/s because of previous vb trauma. Or I could have chosen a c/s simply because it fit in with my golf schedule.

      The report doesn't make that clear, but I personally doubt that it means that 30% of women are choosing a c/s to fit around their golf schedule, iykwim.

      Comment


      • #4
        personally, i'm more distressed by the fact that 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during their pregnancy, than the rate of c/s...

        Comment


        • #5
          I hate being a part of that 30.3%. It's such a disappointment that so many babies were born that way... and I hate that my caesarean is a part of that statistic. Quite embarrassing really...

          (Hopefully can be a VBAC statistic in a few years though! At least that's the plus-side of it!).

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't quite understand why there was more intervention in high socioeconomic mothers....


            Interesting.... maybe because more of them go Private.. and there seems to be more medical intervention in Private hospys....

            Comment


            • #7
              I was more horrified by this statement...

              Of women who had previously had a caesarean section, the majority (83.2%) had another caesarean section.
              With statistics like that no wonder I have had to fight so goddamn hard for my right to VBAC which resulted in me telling the hospital to shove it up their bums I was birthing at home!!!

              And people wonder why I get angry/annoyed at the c-section rate when told "but how does it affect you? Why do you care if others birth by c-section?" well people...THAT'S WHY because it DOES affect me!!!
              Last edited by Lillynix; 23-11-2007, 19:19.

              Comment


              • #8
                I hear you DragonFly. Also affects our daughters too. I don't want my daughter growing up in a surgical world. I don't want her to learn that her body is fault and untrustworthy. It's bad enough women already think this and want to get cosmetic surgery and such...I don't need her growing up believing her body can't even birth a baby.
                Last edited by SassyMummy; 23-11-2007, 20:01. Reason: Adding the word "cosmetic" because it didn't make as much sense otherwise...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lottiesmum View Post
                  personally, i'm more distressed by the fact that 17.4% of mothers reported smoking during their pregnancy, than the rate of c/s...
                  I absolutely agree with you!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SassyMummy View Post
                    I hear you DragonFly. Also affects our daughters too. I don't want my daughter growing up in a surgical world. I don't want her to learn that her body is fault and untrustworthy. It's bad enough women already think this and want to get surgery and such...I don't need her growing up believing her body can't even birth a baby.

                    so well said Stacy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm like lottiesmum & faeml... much more worried about the rate of women smoking during pregnancy (17.4%!! OMG - that's almost 1 in 5!).

                      On a side note... I'd be interested to know how many of the caesareans are:

                      1) emergency
                      2) elective, upon medical advice
                      3) elective, purely by choice

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        hi im 36weeks pregant and my baby is still in the breeched postion. some hospitials dont give u much options for my sistuation as the feel a c/section is the best way. I rather not be cut open and rather give birth naturally as i did with my frist. Maybe the goverment need to fix up the hospitials so they can cater for all different kinds of sistuations. As i know most of them are under staff.
                        cas

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think its a womans right to wether she wants to either push a human being out of her hoohaa- or get it cut out of their stomach- both pretty daunting things really.
                          Having said that I think Id rather push a million babies out of my hoohaa rather than get my stomach cut open unless it was absolutly neccasary

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by metalhead713 View Post
                            I think its a womans right to wether she wants to either push a human being out of her hoohaa- or get it cut out of their stomach- both pretty daunting things really.
                            Having said that I think Id rather push a million babies out of my hoohaa rather than get my stomach cut open unless it was absolutly neccasary
                            I agree to i rather push the baby out naturally then get cut open. There is not much choice for me as baby is breeched and i asked the midwife about it she said a c/ section. then she said maybe they may let me go naturally. Depands on the doc but dont think the hospitial can cater for it.
                            cas

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cassie View Post
                              I agree to i rather push the baby out naturally then get cut open. There is not much choice for me as baby is breeched and i asked the midwife about it she said a c/ section. then she said maybe they may let me go naturally. Depands on the doc but dont think the hospitial can cater for it.
                              cas
                              If I was in your position I would probably go a cesear too.. but just wanted to share a story that prooves that although not really reccomended it can be done.. my when my dad was born, (back in the 50's) he was a breach, and nearly 10lbs!!! My nan nearly died but somehow she survived.. talk about superwoman! lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X