Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by our little treasures View Post
    How did you go with your decision?
    After a lot of "I told you so's" from my gf after reading this thread, I've decided to try and take them shopping next weekend, and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to give them some vouchers.

I don't really know my SIL that well, so it makes it hard. My brother met and married her in WA a few years ago, and they have only just moved back to QLD a couple of weeks ago. I've probably only met her 4-5 times, so I don't really know how she would react to my offer of some help.

Anyway, I figure a days shopping will be a way to get to know her better and hopefully everything goes well. I have a feeling I won't be able to get them all the things I want, but hopefully I'll be able to talk them into at least one big thing whether it be a pram, cot etc...

Wish me luck

p.s. I also like that cleaning service idea.....will have to look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Jones View Post
      After a lot of "I told you so's" from my gf after reading this thread, I've decided to try and take them shopping next weekend, and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to give them some vouchers.

I don't really know my SIL that well, so it makes it hard. My brother met and married her in WA a few years ago, and they have only just moved back to QLD a couple of weeks ago. I've probably only met her 4-5 times, so I don't really know how she would react to my offer of some help.

Anyway, I figure a days shopping will be a way to get to know her better and hopefully everything goes well. I have a feeling I won't be able to get them all the things I want, but hopefully I'll be able to talk them into at least one big thing whether it be a pram, cot etc...

Wish me luck

p.s. I also like that cleaning service idea.....will have to look into that.
      Good luck. Can I suggest that you give them some idea of what you want to spend so they know what price range of things to look at. Or even let them know what brands you have seen so they get a feel for how much you are thinking of spending.

You dont want to adopt another sister in law do you? I'm not nearly as sensative this time around and will happily put my hand out for contributions

Comment

Originally posted by Manxie View Post
        Good luck. Can I suggest that you give them some idea of what you want to spend so they know what price range of things to look at. Or even let them know what brands you have seen so they get a feel for how much you are thinking of spending.
        Good idea. I'll print out some copies from those websites and take them with me.

You dont want to adopt another sister in law do you? I'm not nearly as sensative this time around and will happily put my hand out for contributions
        I already have three SIL's, so I guess another one wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I reckon they would really appreciate getting a gift like a bugaboo that they wouldn't be able to afford on their own, I would go for a neutral colour and they can always swap for another colour.

I think if u took them out shopping they also wouldn't feel comfortable telling u what they want, I think they are very lucky to have a generous uncle to be like yourself!

Comment

Just to put in my 2c worth, I agree with Moops.

There is NO WAY I would ask for a gift or tell anyone what I would like (my MIL asks me what I want every Birthday and so I end up with nothing!) but I would appreciate a lovely surprise, no matter how big or small.

Giving a gift shows how excited and happy you are for them, and buying something practical is also going to help them out financially. Even though you are thinking of spending a lot of money, it's still about the thought and wanting to help them.

While every new Mum wants to buy things for their baby, I was grateful to receive gifts (& hand-me-downs!) for my baby.

It sounds like they wouldn't be comfortable with cash or telling you what to buy. Shopping with them is a great way to get an idea of what kind of things they are looking for. Maybe they will set up a gift registry??

There are so many ways to help - it depends how much they are struggling. If they are desperate, anything you do will help, if they are doing it a little bit tough but not too bad, maybe the one thing they would love is a bit of luxury!

What about a new digital video camera to capture every precious moment?? This isn't something that is important for the Mum to buy (in my opinion) but will get lots of use with a new baby in the house (and for a few years to come too!)

Sorry for raving on, I could give you a million ideas - I'm very good at spending other people's money!!!

Good luck, these are just my ideas. Whatever you get will be a great gift and very much appreciated, I'm sure.
            Last edited by Chookster; 14-02-2008, 07:50. Reason: too long

Comment

You sounds like a lovely person! Congratulations on the soon to be unclehood!

I agree that big purchases are a thing that couples like to do themselves. I think the shopping day is a good idea, let them know what sort of budget you have.

Boori cots are great, we bought one for our son and he loves it! Really good quality too.

We are buying a bugaboo for the next bub, defintely a good looking pram. We bought a steelcraft one for Bradley and that is a good one too.

Goodluck, let us know how it goes please

Comment

Congrats uncle to be. Vouchers, definately vouchers would be ideal!.

Prams are a hard choice even for the parents you have to consider the size of the car, the weight of the pram, etc Same with the cot , the size of the room and just their personal taste is just that - really personal.

But a voucher is the best of all worlds, technically you would have given the gift but they get to personally choose it. Suggest thats the best options Babies Galore, Target, Myer...all great for baby products of all budgets

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X