Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell Me About Christenings!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tell Me About Christenings!

    My DH told me yesterday that our nephew (his brother and SIL's child) is getting christened in a couple of weeks and he has been asked to be the Godfather. This was from a text message sent to him from his brother.

    So far there has been no formal invite or information sent to us as a family, but I imagine, just from knowing them, that it isn't going to be a casual affair, so am assuming that more than a casual text message will come sooner or later.

    Because I grew up without any type of religion I am unsure of protocols. The parents are non-practicing Catholics, but I presume it will be a Catholic style of Baptism as DH didn't say 'naming ceremony'. If so, then is it normal practice for the parents to ask one person each to take on the Godparent role, even if the two chosen people are not related or anything to do with each other?

    Is a gift normal and should it be a gift with spiritual meaning?

    I'm a bit lost!!! I'm afraid I'm totally in the dark about what to expect and whether I am even invited at this point - maybe it is just the Godparents and parents? I'm sure I will find out soon, I just thought I'd get some feedback of BubHubbers who are much more familiar with christenings than I am!

  • #2
    Sounds like my SIL except she was doing it purely to increase her chances of getting her kids into a catholic school - none of the family were religious but her husband was baptised catholic but even then they just walked into the local Catholic Church and booked their kids in to the next christening ( they do every Sunday fortnight ) they didn't need to go to church or do anything except pay the fee - they just invited immediate family and we went out for lunch afterwards - both sets of grandparents bought the kids a small gift but none of the siblings did as they told us not to and it meant nothing to them as such

    We literally got to the church after the Sunday mass ( 3 other families were there baptising their kids) the priest came out, spoke for 3 minutes, asked each family to bring the kid with the godparents , said a few words, put water on the kid and that was it! The whole thing took ten minutes max ! So I would call them and just ask as if it's for the same reason they may not do anything formal?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
      Sounds like my SIL except she was doing it purely to increase her chances of getting her kids into a catholic school - none of the family were religious but her husband was baptised catholic but even then they just walked into the local Catholic Church and booked their kids in to the next christening ( they do every Sunday fortnight ) they didn't need to go to church or do anything except pay the fee - they just invited immediate family and we went out for lunch afterwards - both sets of grandparents bought the kids a small gift but none of the siblings did as they told us not to and it meant nothing to them as such

      We literally got to the church after the Sunday mass ( 3 other families were there baptising their kids) the priest came out, spoke for 3 minutes, asked each family to bring the kid with the godparents , said a few words, put water on the kid and that was it! The whole thing took ten minutes max ! So I would call them and just ask as if it's for the same reason they may not do anything formal?
      Thanks so much - you could be totally right and they are doing the christening to get him into a catholic school - I didn't think of that! I thought it was always a formal type do - just shows how ignorant I am about it!

      Comment


      • #4
        I would sit back, relax and don't worry yet. Certainly don't take any offence to what's happened this far. Of course you will be invited. And from what I've seen it's quite normal for a catholic god mother and god father to be unrelated/not partnered. So even though your hubby may be godfather there is no obligation for you to be godmother. At a minimum all god parents have to be christened/Baptised and at least one has to be catholic.

        If your hubby is godfather then his pressie to bub should have a spiritual taste to it. Eg baby bible, little golden book about Jesus, Noah and the ark story etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Leisylou View Post
          Thanks so much - you could be totally right and they are doing the christening to get him into a catholic school - I didn't think of that! I thought it was always a formal type do - just shows how ignorant I am about it!
          Just because there is no big flash formal reception it doesn't mean it's all being done to get bub into a catholic school. Formal receptions can cost thousands. The trend in my circle of friends is for an informal lunch afterwards at a good pub/club.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
            Sounds like my SIL except she was doing it purely to increase her chances of getting her kids into a catholic school - none of the family were religious but her husband was baptised catholic but even then they just walked into the local Catholic Church and booked their kids in to the next christening ( they do every Sunday fortnight ) they didn't need to go to church or do anything except pay the fee - they just invited immediate family and we went out for lunch afterwards - both sets of grandparents bought the kids a small gift but none of the siblings did as they told us not to and it meant nothing to them as such

            We literally got to the church after the Sunday mass ( 3 other families were there baptising their kids) the priest came out, spoke for 3 minutes, asked each family to bring the kid with the godparents , said a few words, put water on the kid and that was it! The whole thing took ten minutes max ! So I would call them and just ask as if it's for the same reason they may not do anything formal?
            This describes what we did almost exactly! My dh asked a friend bc he was Catholic even though we aren't close and don't expect him to actually do anything. I am non religious though and my dh is non practicing so it wasn't really a formal thing for us. We only had dh side of the family and the friend I mentioned.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by VicPark View Post
              I would sit back, relax and don't worry yet. Certainly don't take any offence to what's happened this far. Of course you will be invited. And from what I've seen it's quite normal for a catholic god mother and god father to be unrelated/not partnered. So even though your hubby may be godfather there is no obligation for you to be godmother. At a minimum all god parents have to be christened/Baptised and at least one has to be catholic.

              If your hubby is godfather then his pressie to bub should have a spiritual taste to it. Eg baby bible, little golden book about Jesus, Noah and the ark story etc.
              Thanks hon - great info, you rock!

              Comment

              Working...
              X