Christening gifts for older children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening gifts for older children

My niece (3) and nephew (7) are being christened catholic soon and I am after gift ideas for them. I had planned on getting them personalized candles, but they made them the other night so I need a new idea.

I'm not keen on money boxes or commemorative coins as they have that sort of stuff already. I'm not a godparent so bibles are not really appropriate.

What can I get them that is age appropriate.

Could you get them a bracelet or necklace?

Comment

I gave my nieces a gold initial (of their first name) to wear on a necklace (they are now 10 & 7 and I've never ever seen them so am betting my sister lost them). Anyway, I thought that was a nice present.

As a side issue, what did my sister give my child? An ugly hard cover nursery rhyme book that I saw in Big W for $9.95...I wouldnt recommend that as a good present, I was not impressed

Comment

A small gold cross charm to put on a chain when they are older?

Comment

I wouldn't get them anything. Getting Baptised is not reason enough to get a toy etc and most older kids wouldn't be impressed with the traditional Baptism presents. And if the parents were really serious about religion, they would have got them Baptised earlier.

- then again I've been burned. Got a golden book of a bible story for an older kids christening once and the kid opened the present and yelled "booorrrriing". Little $hit.

Comment

You could get them a scroll to put their certificates in?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedV View Post
              You could get them a scroll to put their certificates in?
              "Booorrrriiinnnnngggg"

Comment

I give a St. Christopher medal for christening gifts. He's the patron saint of children - I still have mine from my christening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellie29 View Post
                  I give a St. Christopher medal for christening gifts. He's the patron saint of children - I still have mine from my christening.
                  I love this idea. Thanks. Do jewelry stores stock them? Where would I get them?

Comment

The only stores I found that have them are the Christian/catholic bookstores - they normally have a nice range of them. Mine is engraved with my christening date

Comment

Originally posted by Mellie29 View Post
                      I know its a bit late but St. Christopher is the patron saint of Travelers not Children that is St. Pancras.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore77 View Post
                        I know its a bit late but St. Christopher is the patron saint of Travelers not Children that is St. Pancras.
                        Apologies st Christopher carried the Christ child across the river. I always understood he was both travellers and children. St Christopher us normally pictured with the Christ child.

I think you will find it is st Nicholas not st pancras who is the patron st of children.

Comment

Working...
                        X