WWYD? Birthday party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Californication View Post
    I wouldn’t if it’s the majority. You could be left with a lot of food! You can always have extra but not heat up or put out the chips. That way if more show, you have stuff, but it’s not opened and wasted.

I always tend to over cater, but have cut down over the years. I’ve found that usually for 10-12 kids 2 bags of chips/cheezles/popcorn etc is enough. I usually get 2 of the large mixed boxes of party pies and sausage rolls and that’s more than enough. I don’t go overboard on fruit anymore either as once it’s cut, some of it has a limited shelf life. Stick to things like watermelon, grapes, strawbs that won’t brown or go mushy when cut so if it’s not eaten, you can put it away for later.

Most of all, have fun! The first couple of years, I spent way too much time in the kitchen as I did too much, catered for the adults who then didn’t eat so we had SO much left and was stressed about it all. Now I go by the KISS (keep it simple stupid [emoji23]) rule and it’s much easier.
    Thank you!

I think that’s a good idea. I’ll have some extra snack stuff aside in case more kids turn up.

Thank you for that! I don’t want to over do it with food and waste heaps. Without a doubt I would have got way too much!

I’ve honestly decided to have a tea and coffee option for parents but they can help themselves to kids food lol I wasn’t going to offer extra for parents because I figured it would be wasted.

I love that! KISS [emoji23] I am going to follow that!
    I’ll do enough party bags to cover all the kids just in case and if they don’t go well I’ll figure something out lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
      Thank you!

I think that’s a good idea. I’ll have some extra snack stuff aside in case more kids turn up.

Thank you for that! I don’t want to over do it with food and waste heaps. Without a doubt I would have got way too much!

I’ve honestly decided to have a tea and coffee option for parents but they can help themselves to kids food lol I wasn’t going to offer extra for parents because I figured it would be wasted.

I love that! KISS [emoji23] I am going to follow that!
      I’ll do enough party bags to cover all the kids just in case and if they don’t go well I’ll figure something out lol
      I love KISS too. I heard it probably 20 years ago and have been using it ever since [emoji23][emoji23]

Party bags - have you got a Kmart or red dot close by? Our Red Dot selsl packs of 5 paper bags for $2-3. If you've already got the capes and masks, I'd just do those and a Freddo and/or small smarties. Then if you don't get more, you have got stuff, but haven't spent too much. And any spare cape and mask sets would probably sell as a bundle on buy and sell or eBay too.

Comment

I love KISS too. I heard it probably 20 years ago and have been using it ever since [emoji23][emoji23]

Party bags - have you got a Kmart or red dot close by? Our Red Dot selsl packs of 5 paper bags for $2-3. If you've already got the capes and masks, I'd just do those and a Freddo and/or small smarties. Then if you don't get more, you have got stuff, but haven't spent too much. And any spare cape and mask sets would probably sell as a bundle on buy and sell or eBay too.
        I missed this! Sorry. I’m slack!
        It’s definitely something to live by!

We have a Kmart. Got most of the stuff from there and spotlight (they had good sales lol)
        I got df to get smarties from staff sales at work cheap and got some small packets of malteasers on sale and got lollipops.
        We now have about 10 kids coming [emoji3]
        So for food -
        Party pies
        Sausage rolls
        Some fruit
        Chips
        Lollies
        Fairy bread
        Was thinking I could make some simple vanilla cupcakes. Was thinking jelly? Normal kids like jelly right lol ds hates it lol

What else would I make? It’s in the afternoon so don’t want to overload kids with food but also want a decent selection. I am so over thinking it but need a good list so I can get exactly what I need lol was thinking of a small cheese and crackers platter for parents, what should I have on this?

I hate making food for other people [emoji30]

Comment

Mum used to do jelly oranges for our parties.

Cut oranges in half
          Juice oranges
          Scoop our remaining flesh and pith
          Pour jelly into orange halves
          Put in fridge to set
          Cut into halves (or thirds)

Enjoy freshly squeezed juice and don’t share with anyone else [emoji23]

Comment

I think cupcakes would be nice.

Chocolate crackles?
            I always used to make a white chocolate and ricebubble slice with a marshmallow topping. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

Cheerios / cocktail franks / whatever you call them.

Comment

Honestly, I think why you’ve got listed is fine and I wouldn’t worry about cupcakes unless they are to be the actual birthday cake. I do savory, fruit, sometimes do fairy bread and have the sweet component as the cake. Don’t make it harder and more work than it needs to be! I’m glad you’ve got more RSVP’s. You must be relieved!!

We have DD’s birthday in a month, so you can expect to see me whinging about late RSVPers in about 3 weeks [emoji23][emoji23][emoji31][emoji31]

Comment

Originally posted by MLadyEm View Post
                Mum used to do jelly oranges for our parties.

Cut oranges in half
                Juice oranges
                Scoop our remaining flesh and pith
                Pour jelly into orange halves
                Put in fridge to set
                Cut into halves (or thirds)

Enjoy freshly squeezed juice and don’t share with anyone else [emoji23]
                Oh yum. Yeah that’s a good idea! Last time I made these they were not suitable for children but very yummy for adults [emoji23]

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
                  I think cupcakes would be nice.

Chocolate crackles?
                  I always used to make a white chocolate and ricebubble slice with a marshmallow topping. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

Cheerios / cocktail franks / whatever you call them.
                  We are having a cake aswell so don’t wanna over do the cupcakes.

Oh yum! Can I please have the recipe [emoji3] that sounds good and could be an alternative to cupcakes even.

Oh yes! Forgot them. Ds loves them, better get them lol

Comment

Honestly, I think why you’ve got listed is fine and I wouldn’t worry about cupcakes unless they are to be the actual birthday cake. I do savory, fruit, sometimes do fairy bread and have the sweet component as the cake. Don’t make it harder and more work than it needs to be! I’m glad you’ve got more RSVP’s. You must be relieved!!

We have DD’s birthday in a month, so you can expect to see me whinging about late RSVPers in about 3 weeks [emoji23][emoji23][emoji31][emoji31]
                    Thanks!! I think I am definitely making it harder and hate myself for that lol it’s a standard thing for me to do lol.
                    I think we are sorted for a list of food now!

So very relieved! Can’t thank everyone here enough. Kept me sane! I think we only had 2 before the rsvp date! The rest were after, crazy! We haven’t heard from about 6 people but I’ll just cater for them and see what happens.

I hope you don’t have to go chasing them! I hope your DDs party is awesome! [emoji3]

Comment

I'm so glad you've got a bunch coming now Although you have things covered, I thought I might add a couple recommendations.

-cheerios n tomato sauce: these are great even after they've gone cold

-carrot sticks/corn chips and dip

-facepainting: kids that age LOVE face painting. You don't have to be amazing at it but they think it's awesome. When I was in childcare the boys preferred spiderman (simply red sponge then add a black web), batman (black symbol on the face somewhere: mine looked horrible haha), being a mister/grownup (give them a moustache). Girls preferred being a princess (think 80's prostitute lol. Blue on eyelids, red lips/cheeks and a yellow crown on forehead) or a mermaid (sponge blue/green on cheeks then add scales). It's also cool when the girls want to be misters and the boys princesseses [emoji23] and some ask for some unusual things lol I usually just stuck to easy basics and used fresh cotton buds/clean sponges for hygiene purposes. They are happy to line up for a good half an hour for this! I'd recommend asking the parents if paint on the face is ok too

Comment

Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
                        I hope you don’t have to go chasing them! I hope your DDs party is awesome! [emoji3]
                        I will. Well, some anyway. But after doing this for a few years, I expect it now [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks. It should be fun. She wants it at a center, so will be easy peasy. Cake and cold foods as there no oven there to keep stuff warm.

Comment

We went to a party over the weekend. Because of the allergy aspect the host kept it really simple. Fruit plate, sausages in bread and cake.

I think your list sounds fine, the kids will likely be too busy to eat it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jurodice View Post
                            I'm so glad you've got a bunch coming now Although you have things covered, I thought I might add a couple recommendations.

-cheerios n tomato sauce: these are great even after they've gone cold

-carrot sticks/corn chips and dip

-facepainting: kids that age LOVE face painting. You don't have to be amazing at it but they think it's awesome. When I was in childcare the boys preferred spiderman (simply red sponge then add a black web), batman (black symbol on the face somewhere: mine looked horrible haha), being a mister/grownup (give them a moustache). Girls preferred being a princess (think 80's prostitute lol. Blue on eyelids, red lips/cheeks and a yellow crown on forehead) or a mermaid (sponge blue/green on cheeks then add scales). It's also cool when the girls want to be misters and the boys princesseses [emoji23] and some ask for some unusual things lol I usually just stuck to easy basics and used fresh cotton buds/clean sponges for hygiene purposes. They are happy to line up for a good half an hour for this! I'd recommend asking the parents if paint on the face is ok too
                            Thanks! They would love that!

Comment

I will. Well, some anyway. But after doing this for a few years, I expect it now [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks. It should be fun. She wants it at a center, so will be easy peasy. Cake and cold foods as there no oven there to keep stuff warm.
                              Hahaha I need to remember this for the years to come - people genuinely suck for rsvps lol I guess I can’t complain too much now. At least we got some! Lol.

Super easy! Love it lol

Comment

Originally posted by amyd View Post
                                We went to a party over the weekend. Because of the allergy aspect the host kept it really simple. Fruit plate, sausages in bread and cake.

I think your list sounds fine, the kids will likely be too busy to eat it anyway.
                                Thanks! No one has mentioned allergies and I didn’t ask [emoji51] I figured it their child had an allergy they would mention it..

Hopefully there’s a selection of stuff that they can eat something anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X