Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWYD? Birthday party

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    That does a little bit. Thanks. I guess I have done it within a week of getting an invite so I feel like they are forgotten about.
    Thanks x I’ll try.
    I'm an early RSVPer too. Most times I do it within a few days of getting invite. It's only if I'm not sure if we can go I wait until closer.

    How long is there between RSVP date and actual party? I have found that the bulk of people will RSVP a few days before and a few days after the date. Some will apologise for being late, some won't.

    It's hard, but I wouldn't send reminders until 2 days after the RSVP date has passed. And then just send a note saying "just checking if XX can make XX's party on the XX as we haven't heard from you. If you can please let me know ASAP, that would be great!" or similar.

    Can you hang around at drop off one morning and ask? I've done that at school too when I've known who they are, but not known their number. It gets easier as they get older. Now I just ask the kids to ask their friend to ask the parent to let me know! I also have some numbers to text and ask as some of their friends have remained consistent. It's painful and I get stressed every year over it, but I've never had no one turn up. Mostly it's 1-2 that can't make it (or RSVP yes and forget on the day!).

    I possibly wouldn't find it as annoying if we didn't live rural as I have to order in things for the party bags if there's a special theme and then end up with spares! But I'm happier this year as while our town doesn't have a party shop, there's a k-mart now in our regional center an hour away, so can hopefully get things from there. Thought DS is 10 this year and has been asking for a sleepover party the last 2 years. I told him he could have one when he was 10 for 4-5 friends max, so if we do that, I'm not doing party bags and will on,y have to worry about DD's!! Woooohoooooo!

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
      That is quite possible and very true. I didn’t really think of that. I guess that’s the sucky part of a party at the start of the year.
      I feel your pain - DS is an early February baby, so his birthday falls within a few days of the new school year starting. If I want to host a party for school friends I have to send out the invites way in advance (late term 4), then chase up RSVP's close to the date. I'm not doing a party this year (too hard, not organised!) but will aim to do one next year.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by SheWarrior View Post
        I'd wait until the RSVP date has passed, if still no responses I would take your ds away for a night or 2 and do something you wouldn't normally be able to do. Anything you've already purchased could be stashed away for future birthdays?
        Thanks, this was my thinking as a way to reduce the chance of absolutely no one turning up. I think i cancel bookings for things a week in advance with no loss of money and we could use the money set aside to do something fun. I just hate the thought of him thinking no one wanted to come celebrate with him.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
          Thanks, this was my thinking as a way to reduce the chance of absolutely no one turning up. I think i cancel bookings for things a week in advance with no loss of money and we could use the money set aside to do something fun. I just hate the thought of him thinking no one wanted to come celebrate with him.
          That's understandable. But I'm sure it would bother you more than it does him.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Californication View Post
            I'm an early RSVPer too. Most times I do it within a few days of getting invite. It's only if I'm not sure if we can go I wait until closer.

            How long is there between RSVP date and actual party? I have found that the bulk of people will RSVP a few days before and a few days after the date. Some will apologise for being late, some won't.

            It's hard, but I wouldn't send reminders until 2 days after the RSVP date has passed. And then just send a note saying "just checking if XX can make XX's party on the XX as we haven't heard from you. If you can please let me know ASAP, that would be great!" or similar.

            Can you hang around at drop off one morning and ask? I've done that at school too when I've known who they are, but not known their number. It gets easier as they get older. Now I just ask the kids to ask their friend to ask the parent to let me know! I also have some numbers to text and ask as some of their friends have remained consistent. It's painful and I get stressed every year over it, but I've never had no one turn up. Mostly it's 1-2 that can't make it (or RSVP yes and forget on the day!).

            I possibly wouldn't find it as annoying if we didn't live rural as I have to order in things for the party bags if there's a special theme and then end up with spares! But I'm happier this year as while our town doesn't have a party shop, there's a k-mart now in our regional center an hour away, so can hopefully get things from there. Thought DS is 10 this year and has been asking for a sleepover party the last 2 years. I told him he could have one when he was 10 for 4-5 friends max, so if we do that, I'm not doing party bags and will on,y have to worry about DD's!! Woooohoooooo!
            I think that may be why im stressed out so badly? I am a planner so things are planned well in advance.

            Theres a bit of time between rsvp date and party. So i have wiggle room. Ok, well id be relying on daycare to send it out to all parents in a group message for me as i have no contacts for anyone (yeah im not a social person..) but maybe i am best waiting until early next week to remind people - especially with school going back this week isnt it?

            Hard to hang around at pick up or drop off as i rarely see these parents lol also i dont really know which kids are which haha

            We live rural too so i have ordered alot online and early to allow for postage. So i will have heaps of stuff left here if i dont need them but id rather have heaps of spares and ds at least have a few friends then have no one turn up and hes left disappointed.
            That actually sounds like heaven! Im so extremely jealous. I wont be rushing to do another kids party anytime soon.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
              I feel your pain - DS is an early February baby, so his birthday falls within a few days of the new school year starting. If I want to host a party for school friends I have to send out the invites way in advance (late term 4), then chase up RSVP's close to the date. I'm not doing a party this year (too hard, not organised!) but will aim to do one next year.
              Thats exactly what we are dealing with, wish i had planned it right at the end of feb now. I was a little paranoid id have to do that with invites but luckily daycare went back early enough - well so i thought!
              Good luck with the party next year, Im sure it will be awesome!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by SheWarrior View Post
                That's understandable. But I'm sure it would bother you more than it does him.
                I think you are probably right, its me who is so worried where as he will have forgotten prety quickly. Especially if we are doing something for him lol

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
                  I think you are probably right, its me who is so worried where as he will have forgotten prety quickly. Especially if we are doing something for him lol
                  Exactly! And if he does say anything, just tell him that you and daddy decided to make your birthday extra special this year by doing xyz instead, how exciting is that?! And make it really positive.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    I’m a early rsvp-er and I hate it when people don’t rsvp. How hard is it to sms and say yes or no??

                    I would actually sms everyone and ask for an answer. It just gives you a definite. And failing their response then, I wouldn’t keep a spot for them.

                    My 16th scarred me for life. I had a sweet 16th and only 2 people turned up.
                    My mum had cooked so much and had organised a cake and all. I don’t actually think I’ve had a party since then, come to think of it. It still makes me a bit sad.

                    Good luck xx

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      We’ve got 2 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess it’s something!
                      Thanks for responses from everyone x
                      I know I need to cater for more kids turning up but how many do I cater for? Do I allow for the whole amount of kids we invited or less or more [emoji45]
                      I need to sort food now. Arvo tea time. Pies sausage rolls still a norm? Chicken nuggets? [emoji23]

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Arvo tea? I'd do a fruit platter, chips, sandwiches, jelly cups, popcorn, cheese and crackers....

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
                          Arvo tea? I'd do a fruit platter, chips, sandwiches, jelly cups, popcorn, cheese and crackers....
                          Thanks! I was thinking I might be over thinking food and should stick to snacks!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            WWYD? Birthday party

                            Do whatever is easiest. For just a couple of kids, I’d definitely keep it simple. I always do party pies and sausage rolls, chips/twisties/cheezles/popcorn. I’ve given up on things like dip and veg sticks as they don’t get eaten. Do a bit of fruit and cake and you’re done! Fairy bread is always a winner and is easy as. Piklets too if you can be bothered.

                            Have the others not rsvp’d or said no? You may still get a couple more if it’s the former.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Californication View Post
                              Do whatever is easiest. For just a couple of kids, I’d definitely keep it simple. I always do party pies and sausage rolls, chips/twisties/cheezles/popcorn. I’ve given up on things like dip and veg sticks as they don’t get eaten. Do a bit of fruit and cake and you’re done! Fairy bread is always a winner and is easy as. Piklets too if you can be bothered.

                              Have the others not rsvp’d or said no? You may still get a couple more if it’s the former.
                              That’s sort of what I was thinking! The staples of party food as such. Least amount of effort as possible basically lol.
                              Not responded yet. Fingers crossed more come in. Do I cater for having all yes responses if I don’t hear from them? I don’t want to be short on party bags and food!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Hasselhoff View Post
                                That’s sort of what I was thinking! The staples of party food as such. Least amount of effort as possible basically lol.
                                Not responded yet. Fingers crossed more come in. Do I cater for having all yes responses if I don’t hear from them? I don’t want to be short on party bags and food!
                                I wouldn’t if it’s the majority. You could be left with a lot of food! You can always have extra but not heat up or put out the chips. That way if more show, you have stuff, but it’s not opened and wasted.

                                I always tend to over cater, but have cut down over the years. I’ve found that usually for 10-12 kids 2 bags of chips/cheezles/popcorn etc is enough. I usually get 2 of the large mixed boxes of party pies and sausage rolls and that’s more than enough. I don’t go overboard on fruit anymore either as once it’s cut, some of it has a limited shelf life. Stick to things like watermelon, grapes, strawbs that won’t brown or go mushy when cut so if it’s not eaten, you can put it away for later.

                                Most of all, have fun! The first couple of years, I spent way too much time in the kitchen as I did too much, catered for the adults who then didn’t eat so we had SO much left and was stressed about it all. Now I go by the KISS (keep it simple stupid [emoji23]) rule and it’s much easier.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X