Present or no present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present or no present?

Dd2’s birthday is on Sunday (she will be 8). We are surprising them with a holiday to Brisbane and spending the day at a theme park on Saturday. It’s our first family holiday and something she has been asking for for ages. We aren’t telling them until we actually get in the car to leave.

My question is- given that we are driving and room will be right as it is, we are going to the theme park etc... would you still give presents or the holiday and experience be enough? We are stretching ourselves to make this holiday happen as it is, but I also don’t want her to feel like her birthday isn’t ‘special’, if that makes sense? We are also doing a bbq with my dad and some friends with a cake and stuff on her actual birthday.

I'd buy her a present.

The holiday sounds like it is a family holiday and not just because it's her birthday.

Comment

I agree. I think a gift is a good idea. Especially since everyone is enjoying the family holiday.

Comment

I’d probably give her something to unwrap. Doesn’t have to be expensive, but something that’s just hers.

Comment

Yes, I would still buy her a present.

Comment

I would give a present

Comment

I’d still get her a few small presents to open. We went to Fiji last year as ds1 and my 40th plus dh and I got married there and we still took some presents for him to open

Comment

we did that last year.

what I did was said the holiday was a family holiday ... not her present.

the day at Seaworld was her present. I made a voucher and gave her that on the day ... said tickets (her and her friend) + 1 teddy + lunch etc ...

Comment

We often go somewhere for the kids birthdays, plus they get a gift. The holiday or whatever is in place of a party.
                  So I would give a gift but it doesn’t have to be something big. Could ever be a “voucher” to use in a gift shop or something like that?

Comment

I’d get her a present also just something small for her to open so she feels extra special

Comment

Yep, I think when you're little, birthday = a gift. As much as you know you've put so much into making the holiday happen, they won't really "get" that.

Comment

Yes I’d get one or two small things for her to unwrap

Comment

Working...
                        X